Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO 940 screen keeps freezing when using it! help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO 940 screen keeps freezing when using it! help
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi chaps

just to let you know that i have been using my 940 all week and had NO Freezes whatsoever, result!
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
www.facebook.com/bongiovitributeband
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let's hope that TT have got a proper fix now. Drove 300 miles from Wiltshire to Tyneside last night and the bl***y thing froze 3 times, once at a very important point as a result of which I took a wrong turn Crying or Very sad

Must say though that the HD traffic seemed to work exceedingly well, shaving up to 35 minutes off the planned journey times in the face of typical bank holiday congestion. I do that route several times a year and a couple of the proposed diversions were familiar to me but I was impressed that the sat nav would recognize them.

If only we can stop it freezing now.....

Carrying onto Inverness tomorrow (another 300 miles) where I really don't know the roads so I hope it doesn't get any worse......
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news Wayne - cross fingers that's sorted for you.

Mine's also been 100% OK since I did two things last week:

1. Disabled alerts for TT's own speed cameras, although I left my PGPSW camera alerts remain.
2. Deleted a load of POI categories bringing them down from 100 to about 90.

A couple of days ago I re-enabled the alerts and it's still been fine since.

So, based on that so far, it seems the number of POI categories may have been a factor. Next week, will add more back in to see what happens.
LandRocket
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:51 am    Post subject: Freezing Reply with quote

Is there an average time it takes before it freezes?

The reason I ask, I know mine *used* to freeze, but now I'm not sure...

When it first used to freeze, the first thing I did was delete everything on device and PC, and replace everything. I thought this cured it at first, but then it froze a couple of times, just seemed to be not as often...

Yesterday, I ran TT's ClearFlash tool, then managed to take the TT out for 4 hours without a single freeze. I'm just wondering if it really could of been something as simple as that or do I need a longer run?
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Freezing Reply with quote

LandRocket wrote:
Is there an average time it takes before it freeze?

Mine was anywhere from a few minutes to about an hour, although the jury's still out on whether I've actually fixed it.

How many POI sets did/do you have installed?
LandRocket
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: POIs Reply with quote

Just had a look through,

I've got the PGPS Speed Zoned Complete - I make that 30 POIs plus 5 other ones that I added..
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

35 categories should easily be OK. The other change I made was to disable warnings (just as a test) for the built-in TT cameras and just relied on PGPSW's. Since re-enabling that though, it's still been fine. The problem is re-creating the issue consistently in order to eliminate the real problem.

I did get an e-mail from TomTom stating how to fully factory reset - let me know if you want me to post it up.
LandRocket
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Freezing Reply with quote

Agreed.. If there was something consistent, it would be helpful...

As it stands, I've not had a freeze-up since; so I'll will bear with it until it decides to do it again, so I'll just cross fingers and hope for the time being Smile
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, Interesting that suddenly issues of 'freezing' seem to be decreasing. Subsequent to my earlier entry where it froze 3 times during a 300 mile run to the N East I have used it extensively over the last week covering a further 1200 miles around the Scottish Highlands and all the way back down to Wiltshire and it never froze once!!!

I did raise a call with TT and they have sent me some guidance about deleting loose files etc but I haven't had a chance to try this yet so it seems to have improved without even the fix.

Have to say that the Live traffic worked extremely well saving me 15 minutes in one incident near Perth last Saturday although a couple of the routing propositions were a bit odd - e.g. it took me off a main road on a lane through a farm yard to another main road only to rejoin the original road a mile further on.....

On another occasion it tried to take me off the main road into a defunct lane to cross a bridge that was last used by Rob Roy etc and back again but at least on that occasion I could see what it was proposing beforehand and so ignored it!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: