Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i am going nuts..can you help me please?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i am going nuts..can you help me please?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam1970
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: i am going nuts..can you help me please? Reply with quote

i am trying to download some free POI from this site on my new tomtom one XL..i tried at first downloading BP and shell petrol station and that worked fine on my tomtom. but the problem now is every time i try to download any other POI when i open the zip file i can find only the shell and BP files. i tried every thing to get rid of them to no avail. any idea please? i am using AOL as a browser
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the files are dynamically generated, so you should get whatever you select on the page, perhaps you can go through the steps you take in downloading.

Are you downloading to a different location now and only looking at the original download? Check the date of the ZIP file.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
sam1970
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the zip files are coming in different sizes which indicates that it downloaded the right thing but when i try to open the zip file i get shell and bp files. (what i do is open the zip file and copy the extracted files to tomtom...is there another way of doing it?)
sam1970
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried again first thing this morning and downloaded hospital poi and it worked fine (did not get shell and bp files) but when i tried after that to download supermarkets i got stuck with the hospitals poi every time eventhough the size of the zip file is different. As it is i can only download a different category after not using the computer for few hours!!!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you do with the ZIP file once you've extracted the data files?

Does it make any difference if you delete, or move, the downloaded zip once you have installed the files on the TT?

It can't be a caching problem as the files are created 'on the fly'. Confused

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does exactly the same for me.

I have never encountered a more irritating system for downloading POIs but I persist with it because it does offer good quality data. I would use it more often if the system worked properly.

The workaround for me is:
Make sure that the "show link" box is ticked near the bottom of the download page.
Download the POIs onto your PC using the link.
The first time you do this it works, every subsequent time it shows the previous selection of POIs.
Go back to the link and download again (without going back to the selection screen). This time it actually downloads the ones that you selected.

Enormous effort is put in by unpaid volunteers to compile these POIs, this is very much appreciated. It is a shame that the system is let down by a very poor experience for many users when trying to download the data.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
What do you do with the ZIP file once you've extracted the data files?

Does it make any difference if you delete, or move, the downloaded zip once you have installed the files on the TT?

It can't be a caching problem as the files are created 'on the fly'. Confused

It makes no difference if you delete the zip before the next download. You still get the previous selection, not the selection you just made.

The file that we download always has the same name is it possible that the download occurs before the file has been ovewritten on the server?

It does look exactly like a caching problem Confused
sam1970
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks pcaouolte for your reply but unfortunately your trick did not work...what i do now is download some poi and the do not download another set for a few hours...real pain
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get to the screen with:

Download POIs.ZIP

at the top.

Click on the Download POIs.ZIP link, a File Download window appears, click Cancel. Click the Download POIs.ZIP again. When the File Download window appears again click Save.

Does that work?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
Enormous effort is put in by unpaid volunteers to compile these POIs, this is very much appreciated. It is a shame that the system is let down by a very poor experience for many users when trying to download the data.

'Many users'? How do you quantify that given you have no idea how many downloads we serve in relation to the problems reported!

Yes there are issues but they are few and far between given the thousands of files we serve every day.
Quote:

As we don't employ any caching, symptoms such as you suggest may be occurring on the ISP side.

I've just tested and downloaded two different POI sets within a few seconds of each other with no issue and my access is no different to any other user.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
'Many users'? How do you quantify that...

A search on the forums for POI download problems gives 396 hits. That is "Many users". It may of course be a tiny proportion of your total users.

Darren wrote:
pcaoulte wrote:

As we don't employ any caching, symptoms such as you suggest may be occurring on the ISP side.

I have no idea if it's a caching problem or where any caching might be occuring, I have simply said that it looks exactly like a caching problem.

I am trying to assist the OP with his problem which I have also experienced. I am also trying to provide information which may assist you to make our experience less frustrating.

Whilst the POI system may work well for most users it plainly does not work well for all users. You may, of course, be satisfied with the current percentage of users for whom it works well.

If you do not wish to use the information that I am providing to improve the experience for those of us that are having trouble I will concentrate my efforts on trying to provide a workaround for the OP. If you would like any further information that might help you to improve the system then I would be happy to try to assist you.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have and continue to invest a great deal of time in this system. The number of users who experience an issue is tiny in comparison to the number of active users.

But we won't be happy until that number is zero. It's a complex system but it was designed to allow us to be flexible with the way we serve POIs and allow the ultimate in flexibility for users. Where it doesn't work then of course we will look to fix the issue if it is of our making.

However in this case and given the symptoms described I don't think the issue is one that we can resolve as it appears to be caused by caching in the chain. As we don't use caching it must lie elsewhere?

I'll point the coders at this thread though and see what they can add Smile
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I'll point the coders at this thread though and see what they can add Smile

Thank you. Smile

The current filename downloaded is '[usernumber]_POIs.zip', Perhaps it would be possible to change this to '[usernumber]_[time]POIs.zip'? This might resolve the problem as the file name would be different for each download.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
The current filename downloaded is '[usernumber]_POIs.zip', Perhaps it would be possible to change this to '[usernumber]_[time]POIs.zip'? This might resolve the problem as the file name would be different for each download.

We can add a random prefix but [usernumber] prefix only appears if you use show link. Of you don't it is just POIs.zip

I've pointed those in the know at the thread and it's now on the list for discussion at our next meeting.
sam1970
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you guys for the help...although this issue is annoying but it is not something which i will lose sleep over. this site has been great and i have been using it for years...i am very grateful for all the efforts and help

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: