Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 02 GPRS - Help!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

02 GPRS - Help!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanstmic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thats's what I would have thought but when I spoke to O2 customer services they advised I needed to have the full GPRS added to my account rather than just the WAP. I can select to just pay as I use but its 3.49/MB. I was just trying to establish if I could connect without this change as I currently get some data free every month.
Trev_H
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that you must subscribe to the data packages on o2. I'm on o2 400 but still needed to subscribe to the data 5 package to use active sync for Exchange 2003 (mobile email) and TTT.

By the way, did anyone notice yesterday (Monday) that the amount of data transferred increased dramatically? I went from Colchester - Brighton - Leeds - Colchester and regularly had 100+ incidents downloaded. Still had to exit the app a few times due to the usual "Check internet connection" error. Sad

Trev
pliplop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm on pay as you go and i can use traffic no problems at all. i phoned o2 and asked them to activate gprs internet (i think they call it web something!).

i am on a payasyougo deal that gives free gprs plus text messages for a month everytime i top up with more than 10 quid. so i havent seen how much it costs to download...
Fuego
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my PDA (iPAQ 3870, yes it's getting on in years like me Wink ), I use GPRS Monitor, which is handy for keeping track of usage. Once you enter the GPRS rate/MB (usually on the network provider's web site, somewhere, buried, deep down, where no one can ever find it Confused ) it'll give you the cost at a glance too.

I'm on Orange PAYG, and I think I was using Internet GPRS on PAYG for nearly a year before anyone at Orange Customer Support finally admitted that it was available Exclamation . So my advice is to try it if in doubt.

As for TTT I've found that the connection/disconnection issue makes it fairly useless to do automatic updates.

So far as I can tell, what seems to happen is that if you go through a patchy GPRS area and it tries to update, then the connection breaks. This requires restarts of various things. Since this is clearly not a good idea whilst driving, it forces numerous stops. You become your own traffic jam Exclamation

Anyway, for now, I've set mine to manully update, and I just hit it when I'm sitting in traffic and have a good signal strength indication from my mobile Wink

TTT appears to have a few other wrinkles, as others have noted. One that I think may be TTT related,. although it could be a TTN3 thing, is that the GPS position goes a little crazy after a while, and in certain poor areas of reception (although have not determined if this is GPRS and/or GPS) whilst TTT is failing at getting an updates connection. Effectively the GPS position on TTN3's screen jumps about 50 yeards to the left, or right, maintaining a parallel position (more or less) with your true course.

Not seen anyone mention anything like this yet. TTN2 was pretty reliable for me.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pliplop wrote:
i'm on pay as you go and i can use traffic no problems at all. i phoned o2 and asked them to activate gprs internet (i think they call it web something!).

i am on a payasyougo deal that gives free gprs plus text messages for a month everytime i top up with more than 10 quid. so i havent seen how much it costs to download...

PLIPLOP - what APN, password and username are you using on 02 PAYG for mobile internet? Their support told me that this service is not available.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: