Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 02 GPRS - Help!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

02 GPRS - Help!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanstmic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: 02 GPRS - Help!! Reply with quote

Hello All,

Wondering whether anyone can help me with a problem...

I cannot get my PDA to Mobile connection to work even after trying numerous combinations of setting changes...

I recently upgraded to a bluetooth handset (v600) in order to get Traffic. On my old phone I had a GPRS connection which I used regularly and it worked fine. I have also set my new phone up with the same settings and it also works fine for surfing on the Mobile. Now I can get the devices paired quite easily but cannot get the connection working at all...I have tried numberous changes (username blank, username 02WAP, APN changes, changing from *99# and *99***1#) but to no avail.

One thing I have noticed is my GPRS set up APN is WAP.02.CO.UK rather than mobile.02.co.uk, maybe this is the defining factor, but I cannot see how it shouldn't work because I can surf fine at the moment on the new handset.

Any thoughts would be grately appreciated

Cheers
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wap.02.co.uk is not the mobile internet APN and will not work. It can only be used for wap browsing from the mobile phone.

Use the correct APN of mobile.02.co.uk and notice that this only works on contract (not PAYG) phones
vanstmic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the quick repsonse!

So does that mean the my phone also needs to be set up with the mobile.02.co.uk APN??? or just the IPAQ???
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can add multiple APNS to some phones and I would advise having APN 1 as the mobile.02.co.uk. You can also browse from your phone with this APN. I don't know your phone so I cannot advise on setting it up.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of this thread and note that it's "mobile.o2.co.uk".

The WAP APN will not work for GPRS Internet access.

David
Fuego
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be careful, with some providers, when using the Internet APN for WAP, over GPRS. There may be different charge rates.

I remember when Orange advertised "3 Months Free Internet over GPRS", over a year ago. What they really meant was "3 Months Free WAP over GPRS". If you were unfortunate enough to take up this offer, and even have it confirmed by Orange, but configured the Internet APN instead of the WAP APN, you found yourself with a horrendous bill, 3 months later.

IMHO, the best option for laptop and Pocket PC configs for dictating which APN is used is to make use of the "Advanced Connection Settings String" and use a +CGDCONT=1,"IP","APN-name-goes-here", e.g. for Orange pay-as-you-go Internet, it would be +CGDCONT=1,"IP","payginternet". Then just dial *99#. This divorces the setup from the phone, to a large extent. Initially try a blank username and password, if you're trying to setup a new connection. Note that the above CGD string would overwrite the current settings for some phones' CID1 (e.g. SE T68), and if that were being used by the phone for WAP access, it may stop working. Either setup the phone's internal use CIDs to higher numbers, or change the +CGDCONT=1 to a higher CID and then use that CID in the *99# dial string (I forget the exact format).
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with this last post.

If you're going to set up a context explicitly using +CGDCONT=context ID,... you should explicitly dial that context using *99***context ID#

Some phones (mainly Nokias) only support 1 context, numbered 1. In that case, you use +CGDCONT=1,"IP",... and dial *99***1#

David
vanstmic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think I will be able to connect to the internet APN (rather than the WAP one) without updating my tariff?? On my bill this month I noticed my subscription was for 'WAP Surfer' and according to O2 this does not allow full web use, although I don't need to surf I just need a GPRS connection. Apologies for the ramble, I must admit to being a little confused!!
Fuego
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanstmic wrote:
Do you think I will be able to connect to the internet APN (rather than the WAP one) without updating my tariff?? On my bill this month I noticed my subscription was for 'WAP Surfer' and according to O2 this does not allow full web use, although I don't need to surf I just need a GPRS connection. Apologies for the ramble, I must admit to being a little confused!!

I'm not familiar with O2, but I'd bet that "WAP Surfer" is WAP over GPRS only and even if you can reconfigure your GPRS parameters to use Internet over GPRS (by using a different APN), you'll probably be charged a different rate. Case in point to what I was saying above.

When they say "does not allow full internet use", they probably mean WAP only.

When you say you "just need a GPRS connection"; do you mean an Internet over GPRS connection, or a WAP over GPRS connection? What do you need GPRS for, what are you planning to use it for? If for TomTom Traffic, it's got to be Internet access over GPRS.

UK O2 contract APN is mobile.o2.co.uk user:web password:password
UK O2 PAYG APN is payandgo.o2.co.uk user:payandgo password: payandgo

I believe (although I am not sure), that the above settings are for Internet over GPRS. If you look at the APN set-up in your phone for WAP, you'll probably find it has wap in it's name somewhere.
User and password may, or may not, be significant. I'm sure an O2 user will confirm the settings, or you can probably fidn them on this site with a search.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mobile.o2.co.uk is certainly an Internet APN. I don't know whether O2 pre-pay users have access to the Internet via GPRS - I have a feeling they don't, but I could be wrong as I'm not an O2 user.

User name and password - normally, if you get them wrong, the connection falls apart at the PPP authentication phase, though sometimes entering nothing (or anything!) works.

David
vanstmic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am trying to connect for TomTom traffice. Thanks for confirming that I need an internet over GPRS connection (APN mobile.co.uk) I guess my final question is do you think I can just try and connect with these new settings or will o2 make me change my tariff? (i.e can they block the usage of the mobile.02.co.uk APN??), or maybe I was just entering the incorrect password and the correct one will work??
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

02 only offer Internet access on contract. 02 PAYG only has WAP access and you cannot access the Internet APN from PAYG. This is purely a commercial restriction.
vanstmic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies I should bave mentioned I am on a monthly contract
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are on 02 monthly contract (from 02) you should be able to phone them and have mobile internet enabled if it is not already.
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanstmic,
If you have an o2 contract you can access internet over GPRS without any tariff changes - don't think it is relevant as you are charged a fixed rate per mb of data downloaded so your tariff is not important.

By the way I just leave the user/password fields blank and get connected without problems.

Tom

IPAQ2210/ROM-1.10/LEXAR 32X 256MB SD/Kingston ElitePro 1GB CF
TTN3-V3.03/Wired GPS-V3.03/Globalsat BT-338

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: