Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No Sound
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No Sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
what-are-the-chances
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: No Sound Reply with quote

Hi, sorry for the very long post but i felt it was better to give as much detail as possible in order to get some help.
I've recently purchased a tt go520. Tested it and it worked, backed it up. Went to tt home and upgraded to 8.3 firmware & 8.15 maps for free. Tested it and it worked, backed it up. Un-installed tt safety cams (via home) and installed the pgps ones with liz (ogg) voices. Tested it and it worked, didn't back this one up.
After not using my go for a couple of days i decided to use it going home from work. After setting off i quickly realised there was no sound. No navigation sound or speed camera sounds. When i got home i had a look to make sure i hadn't switched the sound off or something, i hadn't. I went to voices and tried testing them. Nothing. Tried playing an mp3 file. Nothing. Both instructions and music were set to play through internal speaker. Tried plugging in earphones (changed both to line-out) and both worked. Tried a soft reset, no sound. Tried a factory reset from menu, no sound. Looked like the internal speaker had gone. Looked out my invoice and 12 days had past so i still had time to return it but it was now to late to call shop. Decided to restore the go520 back to the second back up (8.3 frm, 8.15 map) to see if it made any difference. Surprisingly it did, the device was now working again (with tt safety cams)

Ok it gets weirder. As i didn't want to go out and about all subsequent tests were carried out using the demo mode:
Input a short route that passed a known 40mph gatso and everything worked as expected. Uninstalled tt safety cams (using tt home) and copied over pgpsw files into map folder as usual, this time thinking that there must be a problem with my existing liz voice files i downloaded a fresh set and only copied the 40mph gatso ogg into map folder (all i needed for test). Set it up and ran the demo route again and it worked. Thinking that i had solved the mystery i copied all the voice files into map folder and proceeded to set them all up to alert i.e. distances on/off route. This done i planned a longer demo route to my work which would test the navigation and safety cam instructions more. Everything worked and i was pleased that i had fixed this problem.

Decided to test it for real this morning going to work and guess what, no sound. Got into work and checked the voice menu and to my surprise, sound. Ran a quick demo route and sound. So it's working fine in Demo mode but i know that when i connect it up tonight to journey home I'll have no sound.
I don't really know what's going on here. Has anyone experienced this problem or has any suggestions. If it's a go520 problem i need to return it very soon before my 14 days are up but if it's working fine on the road with the tt safety cams (still to test this) but not the pgps ones then i probably can't return it as faulty as they would be regarded as third party software. Obviously it's the pgps ones i would want to use.
Cheers
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try the .ogg files in the sounds folder?
what-are-the-chances
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Did you try the .ogg files in the sounds folder?

Hi, yes the ogg files are in the map folder and it's working in demo mode but not on the road.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea on the basic problem, but you don't have to travel anywhere to test it. Sit in the car, set a route, and then tap the "next instruction" area of the screen. It will repeat the next instruction, as well as showing the volume control. You can tap as often as you like, and don't have to be travelling to check the sound.

Hope that this helps a little!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I saw that you put them in the map folder. I'm suggesting you put them in the sounds folder on your unit.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very strange, especially as I have a 520 here with the 8.3 software and 8.15 maps, our cams and Liz Voices (in the map folder) and it's all working as I'd expect.
what-are-the-chances
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
No, I saw that you put them in the map folder. I'm suggesting you put them in the sounds folder on your unit.

Hi, ok will try that tonight when i get home. Also tried just now what matthewj suggested of tapping the "next instruction". Just to prove that i am getting navigational sound when the GPS active as opposed to Demo Mode and i do have sound.
what-are-the-chances
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Very strange, especially as I have a 520 here with the 8.3 software and 8.15 maps, our cams and Liz Voices (in the map folder) and it's all working as I'd expect.

Hi, mine seemed to be working for a couple of days then after not using it for another couple of days the sound problem appeared. I will need to road test it with my second backup which has the lastest firmware and maps (basically what i'm using now) but not the pgps safety cams and voices to establish if it works properly like that.
what-are-the-chances
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what-are-the-chances wrote:
Darren wrote:

Hi, mine seemed to be working for a couple of days then after not using it for another couple of days the sound problem appeared. I will need to road test it with my second backup which has the lastest firmware and maps (basically what i'm using now) but not the pgps safety cams and voices to establish if it works properly like that.

Hi, ok if anyone is interested here’s an update on the sound problems that I mentioned earlier. After unit having no sound at all on the way into work (day of my earlier posts) on the way home from work that night it had sorted itself out and now was working properly. Nothing had been altered between the two events but it may have been charging on my desk (clue).
Picking up on a thread from this forum or another one, about sound and the power cable/battery I discovered tonight that there is a link.
Set of from work no sound. When stopped at traffic lights very soon after start of journey I plugged unit into car charger, instant sound and it worked perfectly all the way home. It’s as if the unit stops generating sound when the battery is low. Haven’t soak tested this yet but it holds up so far.
When I say worked perfectly this is with the recorded voice (Jane), the TTS voices as you know are a completely different issue.
boyimace
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: The exact same problem with my Go530 Reply with quote

I've had 3 units now from comet (go530) and had exactly the same problem, didn't link the power level to sound till just now, I'm going to go test my 3rd 530 and see how battery level affects it.

Please post back if you've had an update or workaround this problem

ta
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a reason that in the box is a charger cable for use in the vehicle - the TomTom devices can run for short periods without power, but when on a trip I would never consider running it without the power lead connected.

There are known issues with Handsfree call volume and distorted sound when the battery gets low, keep it powered in the car and you shouldn't have too many issues - Mike
boyimace
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay will try that but the thing is if you buy a pnd you expect it to navigate with sound and visual aids, if it stops one of those then one of its main functions has failed, quite a bit of a different issue to poor sound quality when using one of its extraneous functions.

For me this is simply not acceptable, power or no power my old tomtom go 300 never failed in giving voice and visual till the battery died completely.
boyimace
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright,

Just demo'd routes till the battery was flashing and then the sound went off, plugged it into a usb charger and hey presto sound back on, if that is the root of the problem then I can probably live with that bit annoying that on long journeys I've got to plug in.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But its far less annoying than getting lost because the power cable isn't in the car Wink - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: