Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon Speed Camera Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon Speed Camera Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freemantel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Navigon Speed Camera Question Reply with quote

Hi There

I'm thinking about buying a Navigon 2110 Max and paying for the TMC and TTS upgrades. My question is what does the Speed Camera update do for you and is it worth it? Does it simply update the unit with new camera locations?

Also, out the box, does the unit display ALL speed cameras e.g. possible mobile speed traps or just static ones? Or do you need to upgrade? Reason I'm confused is I'm also considering a snooper syrius unit and that updates the speed cameras on almost a daily basis whereas the navigon doesn't give any time scale and at £25 a pop I doubt it will be every week!

Thanks in advance!
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that the cameras covered are only going to be fixed location ones, but not certain.

As for when it's updated they have only just started to offer it for the newer models so hard to tell. I'm guessing that it maybe the same as ViaMichelin ones which were every month.

Once they have sorted the ability to add our own POI we should be able to import locations from the PocketGPSWorld speed cameras.
Freemantel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Do we have an update on how long it will take until the ability to add our own POIs is available. Is this feature definately going to be made available? If so, I might just wait until it is until I buy...
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freemantel wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Do we have an update on how long it will take until the ability to add our own POIs is available. Is this feature definately going to be made available? If so, I might just wait until it is until I buy...

Unfortunately Navigon are being VERY annoyingly tight lipped on the POI situation. This is what Mike said in another blog when the question was asked at the recent IFA show.

"In the Press Conference they were talking about user POIs. When I questioned them in more detail it turns out that they were really talking about Favourites. "Real" downloadable POIs are being worked on at this moment, but they would not be pushed as to when they would be implemented."

I do wonder why it seems so difficult for them to introduce custom POI. Don't get me wrong I love my 8110 but would love POI's.
Also Navigating.de (makers of POIWarner) seem unwilling to give any information. Initial contacts with both Navigon and Navigating.de blaimed each other, which to me could indicate a possible argument between the 2 companies?
Freemantel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply again. I really am stuck now, I really like the look of the Navigon systems but the inability to add your own POIs is stopping me from buying. Think I might just hang fire and see what happens!
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freemantel wrote:
Thanks for the reply again. I really am stuck now, I really like the look of the Navigon systems but the inability to add your own POIs is stopping me from buying. Think I might just hang fire and see what happens!

Could be worth waiting till the newer models come out anyway, as you may get some good offers on the new models or older ones.
JassMan23
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: SpeedCam POIs Reply with quote

Smile I have just bought the 2110max. Seems a pretty good product although I am still working out how to hack it. Looking round some of the other forums it looks like MN7 might use POIcon as the speed cam warning system. I believe this is also used on the latest Mitacs.

I have yet to work out how this works for user defined POIs but the SpeedCameraUpdate.SPUD file for POIcon has a flag for each camera allowing:
Fixed Cameras
Mobile Cameras
Combined Speed/RedLight Cameras
Redlight Cameras
Specs type average speed cameras.

The only gripes I have so far with the 2110max are:
Sucker only works on reasonbly flat part of windscreen near the middle.
Auto brightness changes to night mode far too late in the day. I don't know about flipping back to daytime because I don't wake up that early.
Navigon refuse to give any details about how to get previous contacts(favorites) into the device without using Outlook - which I can't do because I run Linux.
No information about updating Speed cam POIs but investigating POIcon looks promising.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: