Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do you charge your TT ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you charge your TT ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scotty-uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top speedy responses guys! Thanks a lot.

I expected it couldn't be done as without even looking up the voltages etc it seemed obvious to me that the cigar lighter adaptor was doing some conversion.

I'm not sure whether I'll do it or not. Already coming off the dock I have the audio out into a magic box (which already takes a power feed) which then feeds the audio it into my head unit (dropping the music volume) and then coming out the speakers. There's only so much room behind my dash!

I'd have to run it off the fuse box which is quite crammed as the ligher outlet on my Audi S4 is next to the hand brake and is a pain to get to the back of.

Thanks again. I wouldn't have tried without checking but you've just saved me a lot of time and effort checking it out. Thumbs Up
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know what to do scotty you could get a power and earth supply from somewhere else behind the dash if your ciggy lighter is at the handbrake. Also if you are not sure some places could wire up a 2nd ciggy lighter under the dash for you and i dont think it would cost to much as it is only 2 wires and about a half hour to an hour labour time.
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on Darren, This is the way i did mine since the days of the Classic and i havent had a single issue with it.
I have about a foot of lead out of the fascia upto the Go mount that's visible. A nice neat job.
Scotty-uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can technically do it but it's physically getting a bit tight. I'm just weighing up whether it's worth the effort as I don't often do journeys that need the power inserted.

Cheers
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty, i got another ciggy adapter as Darren says, taped it together then spliced into a live feed from my radio loom , then simply plug it into the mount. Admitedly the ciggy male and female connections are a bit bulky, but in my case i had heaps of space for them.
Unfortunately with todays cars, space always seems to be an issue.
KOTULCN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just nought one of these, but after reading your post I am concerned, this will fry my Go?

Link Edited for clarity - Oldboy
KOTULCN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty-uk wrote:
Top speedy responses guys! Thanks a lot.

I expected it couldn't be done as without even looking up the voltages etc it seemed obvious to me that the cigar lighter adaptor was doing some conversion.

I'm not sure whether I'll do it or not. Already coming off the dock I have the audio out into a magic box (which already takes a power feed) which then feeds the audio it into my head unit (dropping the music volume) and then coming out the speakers. There's only so much room behind my dash!

I'd have to run it off the fuse box which is quite crammed as the ligher outlet on my Audi S4 is next to the hand brake and is a pain to get to the back of.

Thanks again. I wouldn't have tried without checking but you've just saved me a lot of time and effort checking it out. Thumbs Up

what exactly did you do to send the audio from your go to your radio where it mutes the sound from the radio to hear diections from the go, does this only work with the music coming from the go's fm transmitter or does it work while you are listening to say a cd?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be OK using the power lead in your link as it contains the necessary voltage regulator.

For connecting the audio output to your stereo will depend upon what inputs your car stereo actually has, I detailed a number of different options in This Thread - Mike
KOTULCN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You will be OK using the power lead in your link as it contains the necessary voltage regulator.

For connecting the audio output to your stereo will depend upon what inputs your car stereo actually has, I detailed a number of different options in This Thread - Mike

is it possible to run a cable from your TT to your aux port on your car deck and be listening to your radio and have the device mute the radio when the gps is talking?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot get the car stereo to mute the radio when the nav unit is speaking as supplied it is simply not intended to do this.

It is possible to do this but would require additional hardware to switch the audio, such devices do exist but they are not cheap if you want one that actually works well.

To be honest I prefer to load the 720 with mp3 tracks and let that play the music through the car stereo, this was the TomTom controls all the audio and pauses the music while it offers directional prompts, speed camera warnings or you are making/ receiving a phone call - Mike
Scotty-uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KOTULCN wrote:

what exactly did you do to send the audio from your go to your radio where it mutes the sound from the radio to hear diections from the go, does this only work with the music coming from the go's fm transmitter or does it work while you are listening to say a cd?

As Mike says you need an extra bit of kit. I was lucky that a guy I know made a batch of these devices. It was about 5 years ago and he won't do more.

It's on an ignition live and then it takes the audio feed. I can adjust the sensitivity of when it detects the audio and also the strength of the signal it sends out.

It has 3 leads for the output. Audio left and right and the signal wire. The signal goes into my head unit on the NAV In port and as soon as the head unit detects a signal it lowers the volume of the radio/CD/Phatnoise etc.

I wish he's make more as he'd sell loads especially at only £40 each!

I just hope mine never breaks down!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: