Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom version 5.2 on a palm pda
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom version 5.2 on a palm pda

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brettytopbanana
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: tomtom version 5.2 on a palm pda Reply with quote

right guys i have a problem!
i have a palm pda with tomtom navigator version 5.2
i would like to update all the maps if possible so that it shows all newly built roads etc etc.

i have installed tomtom home but for some reason it cannot find the pda with the tomtom software on it. The tomtom software is on a sd card.
can someone shed any light on how i can update the european maps?

cheers!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the memory card into a card reader then see if TomTom Home can see it, I very much doubt it will offer an upgrade though - Mike
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the TomTom site, it would appear that Navigator 5 is no longer supported with new maps - only Navigator 6 and even then it's not the latest map - 6.75 is the latest they offer.

When I was using a Palm, it was the old "download and activate" method. The site now says it needs Home but that never saw my Palm.

It may be time (like it was for me) to upgrade to a standalone unit if you want to be kept up-to-date.
Brodit ProClip mount
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Mike said, the only way to get TT Home to work with the Palm software is to put the SD card into a card reader and connect it to a PC/Laptop where TT Home is installed.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Easier ways to mount Palm SD Cards Reply with quote

Almost, but there is another way...

As the application is stored on the SD card, connecting your Palm via the sync cable alone won't work - the internal memory is visible to the computer, but not the external memory (SD card) - and hence not visible to TT Home.

You can indeed go through the hassle of removing the SD card from your device and mounting it on your computer via an external card reader...

But it's easier is to use a Palm app. which will make your SD card visible to the computer while still installed within your Palm.

If you've a Mac, Markspace's Missing Sync For Mac not only mounts the card, but provides a vast amount of other functionality.

If you've a PC, Softicks's Card Export II does the job.

I use both these to mount my Treo 650's SD on Mac OS 10.4.11 & Windows XP Pro - never had a problem and never have to remove the SD card.

Mount the card to the PC via your hotsync cable (don't actually hotsync!) using either of the applications above, then run Home.

Incidentally, be aware Home likes to backup your entire SD card to your computer's hard drive, which you may already be doing via Hotsync... If you're using a sizeable SD card, this replication can cost you some considerable disk space and time... Not trusting TT entirely, I leave backup to Hotsync, and disable the backup routine in TT Home.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: