Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Home - viewing on PC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Home - viewing on PC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: TomTom Home - viewing on PC Reply with quote

Has anyone used this new piece of software offered by Tom Tom?

from what i read on their website, i think i should be able plan my navigation/route from my PC. this would be great to use the bigger screen to plan/confirm the route that i will take and then copy it to the PDA.

i haven't figured out how to view the maps from my PC yet. does anyone know how?

i'm using win xp pro and TT navigator 5.21 on a dell axim x50v.

thanks.

DBB
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DBB,

Unfortunately, the aspect of TT Home (TTH) that you're talking about - My TomTom - is (& I quote from the TTH helpfile):

This feature is not available if you are using TomTom NAVIGATOR or TomTom MOBILE.

I have TTH installed on a Macintosh OS 10.4.7, and it was hard enough to work out how to make ANY use of the application. In the end I discovered that I needed to mount my TT Nav 5.201 volume on the computer desktop before running TTH.

I've found it convenient to do this without removing the SD card from my device & simply using a USB sync cable as an interconnect (can't be bothered to try to get Bluetooth to do this!). Not sure if you in the PPC world have an integrated solution, but with a Palm, this requires some extra software: with a Mac I use The Missing Sync 5 Missing Sync. For PCs, Softick Card Export II does the same job.

Once my TT volume is mounted, running TTH will find the card, ask me to identify the type of TT device I have, and then log on to my TT Plus account. So, what do I get for all this trouble?

TTH checks to see if there are any free updates for me (erm, no, there aren't!)

TTH allows me to upload data to my TT Volume; pictures and music (presumably for the PND community). I can see a list of my Plus items, buy new maps etc (and load them).

I've only bothered with all this - as I believe that TTH is integral to Nav 6 - to see if I could upgrade a little faster - alas nothing yet!

Unfortunately, I doubt TTH will attempt to emulate/output display the vast number of Nav PDAs/Mobiles - it's a lot easier to create an interface for the (controllable) PND range.
dbb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your reply.
it looks like i'm living in hope.
i even tried copying my maps and POI's to the content directory on the PC - but they were not recognised?

shame - this would make route planning a whole lot easier. Sad

Darryl
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh {rubbing hands with glee} come into the TomTom cavern of no return, where we will try to re-programme you to denounce your PDAs and Mobiles.... Buy one of our 'all in one PNDs' and all will be well with the world... {terrifying cackle}

Twisted Evil

Or something like that!

Even with a PND, you have to have it physically connected (I presume - and I'm well out of my depth here - that the output of, say a 910, will appear as a window on the desktop - so you can navigate using full screen, kbd & mouse, but the processing is still based within the PND. If I'm wrong, someone will descend upon me at great speed and point out the error of my ways!!).
dbb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - well, we don't want to think that a PDA is a powerful device now do we. Rolling Eyes
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not when TomTom get their mits on it, it isn't! Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: