Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Brand new i3 and full SD card ?!?!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Brand new i3 and full SD card ?!?!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monstergeeza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Brand new i3 and full SD card ?!?! Reply with quote

Had my i3 stolen and got a new one today, wanted to load in my POIs (speedcams etc) and it POILoader says the card is full (256Mb worth)

The files Im loading is only 1Mb in size.

Any ideas ? Sad
monstergeeza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monstergeeza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have firmware 3.10 audio 2.50
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monstergeeza wrote:
I have firmware 3.10 audio 2.50

Looks like your replacement has the mapping etc. on the internal memory (no card supplied) which as you have found has not got very much spare capacity.
Your course of action would be to buy a card to use for your POI's this is covered in detail on other posts located within this index.

Meanwhile you have no other option than remove all apart from those important to you untill they meet the available memory space.
monstergeeza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its got a 256Mb external card though, way have they changed the set up ?!?!?!
monstergeeza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monstergeeza wrote:

SO you are telling me |I cant update the same POIs onto the Garmin unit which has 256Mb of memory - its new and cant handle a 1Mb size of files. . . . . ? Evil or Very Mad Embarassed
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monstergeeza wrote:
monstergeeza wrote:

SO you are telling me |I cant update the same POIs onto the Garmin unit which has 256Mb of memory - its new and cant handle a 1Mb size of files. . . . . ? Evil or Very Mad Embarassed

Both myself and StellaMaris answered your question based on the information given.
The original I3 had the mapping located on the card the latest I3's being sold have the mapping on the internal memory.
Depending on what version you have influences how many poi's can be stored on your I3.

From what you are now saying you have an original version with the mapping on the Card.

So if what you have is a like for like replacement and nothing has changed on your pc then you have got a faulty unit take it back.
monstergeeza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Righto cool - I did mention the 256Mb card in my original post though, strange . . Ill call the sat nav people as it took 27,000 POIs last night but nowhere near the 39,000 I had on my last unit.

Evil or Very Mad :x 8O Sad
monstergeeza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: FYI Reply with quote

The newer units have come with 5million POIs already loaded and I must say closer inspection has shown it really has an alarming amout of extra POIs over my previous unit.

GARMIN have said that that there is enough space for 27k extra POIs
rigga
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried to load the poi file and got the exact same message....not enough memory even though it has the sd card fitted.... then looked in the menu and it seems there are lots and i mean lots of poi already loaded,but not onto the card as when ive updated the speed camera poi its not overwritten the normal poi ie mc'd cinema's railway stations etc that were originally loaded..... maybe the later ones are different i dont know

martin
mk_graham
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigga wrote:
i tried to load the poi file and got the exact same message....not enough memory even though it has the sd card fitted.... then looked in the menu and it seems there are lots and i mean lots of poi already loaded,but not onto the card as when ive updated the speed camera poi its not overwritten the normal poi ie mc'd cinema's railway stations etc that were originally loaded..... maybe the later ones are different i dont know

martin

Hmmm, please read read other posts on this site regarding this subject...okay, just so you don't have to - you need a card reader/writer; take the transflash out of the i3 and stick it into the card reader/writer; plug it into your pc and use POILoader (recommend v2.2.1 as opposed to v2.3.1 - search the forum for why) to load all your POI's to the card.

Plenty of room on there for all the zipped POI's and safety camera's, too.
---
TomTom Go 720 WE Maps (for sale)
---
iPhone with Sygic Mobile Maps (Europe) - having problems
rigga
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks....... im happy with the ammount of poi that are originally installed,and i used the earlier poi loader version for the camera files.... just confused over which part of the unit stored the files,seems a mix and match compared to earlier units that had everything stored on the card.... this ones seems to have general points of interest on the unit and they do not overwritten when loading the speed camera poi as ive read happens with previous versions of the i3

martin
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are getting confused between the POI already loaded by Garmin(these can't be overwritten unless you change the map) and the Custom POI you can add(ie speed camera.s etc).

If you map is stored internally then you will need to load the custom POI to the card rather than the internal memory via a card reader!
poppycat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the enw Garmin i3 without a transcard. I got the card today 512mb for £15 with SD adaptor.

I cant upload the POI on to Gramin as it states not enough memory.

So I insert the transcard into the pc card reader/writer extracetd the speed camera and poi but I have no idea when I unzip the files what directory structure or how they get implemented, the instruction I got with the I3 are very limited.

Has anyone got the newest one and if so, how in what ordre do you have the speed camera and POI on the card and how do you have to set the I3 in meny to read the card etc. Because the dummies guide only seems to be applicable to the old I3.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read mk_graham's post at 8.43 this morning (above)?

I assume if you put your card in the card reader and plug the card reader into your pc, then start POI Loader the card with appear as an option under 'Device'. You select that and follow the instructions in the i3 dummies guide.

If that's not right hopefully someone with a new type i3 will be along to give an answer soon!
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: