Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Hardware and Software for Ipaq 5450
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Hardware and Software for Ipaq 5450

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike55
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: GPS Hardware and Software for Ipaq 5450 Reply with quote

I asked a previous question about the iQue 3600 and TomTom Blue Tooth. As in anything dealing with technology today, I have learned I was a bit naïve in my question and failed to include enough information.

I would like to restate my question but with better information for those providing answers. My request concerns both hardware and software.

I have an Ipaq h5450 with integrated Bluetooth.

I want to integrate the Ipaq with a GPS system which allows me to:

1 - Plan routes
2 - Gives me verbal instructions while I’m driving
3 - Be portable so that I can carry it with me in as I walk in various European cities
4 - Offer alternative routes: i.e. requested diversions around slow traffic
5 - Be able to integrate with TMC (traffic message channel) Engin does this.

Maybe I can get this all, I don’t know. Items 1 -3 are necessary to make this worthwhile. Items 4 and 5 would be an excellent bonus.

In addition to the Ipaq, I also have software maps for Europe available to me. The maps are NavTech (VDO Dayton) from my wife’s automobile. Is this software something that I can use with whatever system that I get?

Also, I have the ability to purchase what is needed in either Europe or the US. However, usage will be primarily in Europe and mostly in Benelux and Germany.

What do you suggest?

Thank you very much,

Mike
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike55,

most of the PDA based navigation applications will support 1-4. And no, your Dayton car navigation maps will not work with any of them (just think about it, that would not be a sustainable business model. Every vendor expects you to buy the maps again.).

As for 5 - you will have to wait a little longer. Firstly, only Mavigon Business Navigator is the only one to support TMC, then you need a special mouse (combining RF TMC and GPS reception), then TMC isn't widely used in the UK yet, and last but not least, TMC is only as good as the people that enter information into it. And there are a lot of people involved, delaying the visibility of a traffic jam for a good 15 to 30 minutes - sometimes the congestion has cleared already when you get the message.

Nowadays you should go with a BlueTooth receiver. Make sure it has long battery life and (as a bonus) supports standard and XTrac receiver modes. (Check the new Fortuna)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: