Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Comet UK - The Worse
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Comet UK - The Worse
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nej,

In theory you can sue for damages, i.e. the difference between what you could have bought it for from them and what you had to buy it for elsewhere, plus any additional costs such as traveling. I agree that in reality that is highly unlikely to happen and the stores know that and know that if they dig their heels in you are unlikely to do anything. So namimg and shaming on this site is important.

My point was that contract law ain't as simple as either some consumers or some shop managers think it is. Just because a "trainee" made an error does not mean that there is no legally binding contract - it depends on the circumstances.
Wannabyourhero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought from Comet in store and on line and had no problems but then I haven't had anything go wrong but they do seem to do all they can to discourage returns. One friend whose washing machine conked out first week was told she could have it repaired not replaced - quoting Sale of Goods Act resolved that one but last week chap in office bought a sat nav package from Comet which didn't seem to work. When they took it back and showed manager they couldn't get a gps signal even standing outside the store they still wouldn't accept it might be faulty. Took a couple of days of phone calls to Comet HQ before they agreed to take it back - and even then store manager tried to say no. Perhaps when we buy from Comet we ought to make sure our handbook of how to make claims in the small claims court is up to date. They do seem to behave in a very cavalier fashion at times.
Must say I have taken things back to Currys and never had the slightest problem.
oliverb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my Pin 570 from Comet online on Tuesday but found it was faulty out of the box ( a buzzing noise from the speaker). I took it back this morning to my local store and it was replaced without question.
Brett.
bullets
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my story about Comet

I went in store at Braintree to purchase a LG washing machine I was particulary impressed because they were selling £100 less than everywhere else.

I decided to go for it and placed my order " should be delivered within 7 days" in reality it was 5 weeks. I just moved into my new house and this was not good.

Whilst I was placing my order with the salesman, he tried to sell me a "extended warranty" to which I politly declined, he pushed again to sell it to me and I again refused. with his final word came "If it goes wrong in a years time dont blame me!!"

I was furious and had strong words with his manager.

When i finally received the machine it comes with a Manfucaturers warranty of 3 years ! something the salesman lied to me about.

That was 2 years ago and I have never returned to the hole that is comet.
royalsteve
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Comet UK - The Worse Reply with quote

Galaxia wrote:
Hello Everyone

After getting my Navman PiN 750 on Wensday as a gift from my mum for getting my Theory Test passed first time(hehe). All was well till I charged it up. After waiting 3 hours for it to charge fully I switched it on. Only to find a nice white blank screen.... So I waited about 15 minutes for it to come on and nothing so I took it back to Comet(Leeds) and they said

"Sorry we are unable to refund or replace this because it's had too much overuse"

Ok so taking it out of the box and chargeuing it up is overuse?
So I came back home and phoned Navman from there contact details on there site. Navman then gave me a number to tell Comet to call. So back to comet I went but they refused to call this number Rolling Eyes

So back home to phone them and I was told by them to phone there "Legal Office" and they then went onto phone comet and after messing about for 8 hours they finaly give me a replacement 570!
But the good news doesn't keep going after I tried to register my new 570 on the website with no luck I phoned Navman again and they told me the serial number was a registerd Demo 570 they used in store to show ppl it working.
So back yo Comet to sort it out AGAIN!
to put a long story short I started this at 9am and it was 8:30pm before I finaly got a new non demo working 570!!!
HURRAY FOR ME

so just a note to anyone dealing with Comet.
BE CAREFUL!

Comet are an awful company......I have boycotted the for 3 years and will never go back.....i bought a freezer from them...it was faulty and i demanded a replacement....even that wasnt easy....any it took 6 months and the threat of legal action/chargeback before it was replaced.....still waiting for compo 3 years later.....wont bother now...just refuse to shop there even if they are cheaper, which they arent anyway.

thats disgusting that they gave you a demo one.....id demand some goodwill compo from Comet....actually dont bother theyll just ignore you
royalsteve
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smcaul wrote:
The moral of this story is don't ever shop at Comet. It is a lesson I have learnt more then once, They seem to think that the small print on the back of their receipts over ride the laws of this land (which of course they dont). I have not shopped there for a number of years due to their very dodgy practises, they are a shameful company who don't deserve to be in business. (note to mods, all this is based on fact, if they (comet) want to sue for lible then I am quite happy to present my evidence in court Laughing Laughing )

hear hear....so many companies hide behind their T&C's which have probably been written by some half wit wanabee who has probably never seen a Legal exam paper let alone sat one....contract law is simple and overrides any T&C
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

royalsteve wrote:
contract law is simple and overrides any T&C

I wish it were and I wish it always did. Sad Sad It gets more complex with each passing year, especially when concsumers are concerned. Just look at some of the latest regulations.
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Comet UK - The Worse Reply with quote

royalsteve wrote:
Comet are an awful company......I have boycotted the for 3 years and will never go back.....

I couldn't agree more. Took then to the small claims court 3 times for repairs to a TV which broke one week after the 12 month guarantee, under the sale of goods act. Three times I have eventually received the service I should have had, but only on the day before the hearing and then with a "goodwill" gesture on top.

It would be so much easier for tem to do the right thing in the first place, it would save them money in the long run!!

BTW, it is 5 years now since I last went to Comet...

Mark

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: