Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Streetpilot i3 - Software Enhancement Requests
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Streetpilot i3 - Software Enhancement Requests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have no reception (indoors) you can simulate the route and it will act as though it is driving.

Only thing is I think it does it at the speed it expects you to drive....no good if you are going from Lands end to John o'Groats !!!! Laughing
timkemp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: my wishes... Reply with quote

Well, had it a month, been playing with the service menus...

Main thing for me would be a way to back up your data - I had mine exchanged due to a faulty usb socket and lost all my data - you can't use the card from the old unit in the new one (tried it).

Secondary things -
1. Being able to get info on the POIs - lat/long etc. Could be in the current "My favourites" list

2. Basic trip computer functionality - miles since reset, vmax since reset, average speed since reset, travel time since reset. Just another menu from the main menu will do
RichardCr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd second that, plus a view of the proposed route as Tom Tom does.

Just view map and scroll the wheel to zoom out the map and you'll see the whole route.
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardCr wrote:
Quote:
I'd second that, plus a view of the proposed route as Tom Tom does.

Just view map and scroll the wheel to zoom out the map and you'll see the whole route.

So it does Laughing - Thanks
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I'd like to see (hear!) is the final turn command being given at the point of the turn rather than up to about 300 metres before hand.

Tom Tom does this and I just find it much more obvious, especially if there are several turnings in close proximity to each other.
Thomas_Quest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pauljmuk wrote:
Surely not - if you've been driving for years, glancing at the speedo is second nature surely - its also a big fat needle pointing at a big fat number.

That has to be safer than squinting at a box showing speed that is about 1cm by 0.5 cm.....

Just my two cents - I didnt buy the i3 to tell me my speed, I bought it to tell me how to get to where I'm going.

i'm shure we are not driving that same car.
besides, the illuminaton of my tacho is terrible.
maybe you shloud think a little more before posting generic statements like that.

best regards
Quest
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my separate thread, Creating POI files on Garmin I3.

Appologies if this has already been mentioned and I failed to find it but

Please offer your support by posing a short statement of agreement on above mentioned thread. I would really like Garmin to do this.

Thread repeated below:

THere's no way I can save points of interest (e.g Speed cameras) as Favourites and then extract them to my PC in Longitude latitude form to share with the wider Garmin comunity. Until we are able to do this we are kidding our selves that the Garmin is a better product than the Tom Tom because we are reliant on Tom Tom users to provide use with POI databases which we then convert to Garmin format. Speed camera databases, Football Ground databases, recomended camp sites etc and all those other special interest databases of which most users prescribe to at least a couple.

Now Garmin: You provide on your site a piece of software POI loader to load POIs. Please Please write another bit of Softeware or provide a delux POI loader/extractor with the facility to extract the "Favourites" stored in a Garmin I3 on to a computer hard drive in .csv format so we can end this parasitic relationship with Tom Tom.

ditto Garmin I2/I5 C310 et al.

You know it makes sense
BERT_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pauljmuk wrote:
Surely not - if you've been driving for years, glancing at the speedo is second nature surely - its also a big fat needle pointing at a big fat number.

That has to be safer than squinting at a box showing speed that is about 1cm by 0.5 cm.....

Just my two cents - I didnt buy the i3 to tell me my speed, I bought it to tell me how to get to where I'm going.

I agree. Having your speed displayed on the i3's screen seems very redundant. On a unit with a larger screen it's an additional extra that wouldn't be too intrusive but on the compact (but excellent) i3 screen it would just take away valuable real estate.

Thomas_Quest wrote:

i'm shure we are not driving that same car.
besides, the illuminaton of my tacho is terrible.
maybe you shloud think a little more before posting generic statements like that.

Whoa there Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation If that's the case then this is a fault of your car's design or an after sales fault (e.g. blown bulb) and you shouldn't be expecting a GPS unit to rectify it for you.
-----------

As an aside I wouldn't really trust the GPS unit's speed to be particularly accurate (I know a car's speedo isn't 100% accurate either) but relying on your speed being calculated based on the triangulation of satellites in orbit seems like adding over complication to a fairly simple measure! :D
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GPS units speed are very accurate, please read other threads on this subject.
BERT_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MELennium wrote:
The GPS units speed are very accurate, please read other threads on this subject.

Sorry, I was thinking more along the lines of being reliable - accuracy was the wrong word to use.

If satellite reception is lost, erratic or error prone then your speedo's either completely gone or unreliable. The little needle attached to your car may not give an accurate speed but at least it's always there :D

To be honest, if people really want it then maybe have it as an option. I was just questioning (with others) the need for this option on a small screened (and budget?) GPS unit when you already have this data in your car.
trueno86
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougconran wrote:
Another thing I'd like to see (hear!) is the final turn command being given at the point of the turn rather than up to about 300 metres before hand.

Tom Tom does this and I just find it much more obvious, especially if there are several turnings in close proximity to each other.

not useda tomtom but the i3 I have (updated to 2.6) says 'turn right' or whatever pretty much exactly at the turn, seems random when it gives the first warning though, sometimes it's 'in 0.3 of a mile turn right', sometimes it's point 0.1 etc
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this is one of the unheralded mods in v2.6 then.

The distance from the turn that the first command is given is based on the speed at the time of the instruction.
Woolley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougconran wrote:
I wonder if this is one of the unheralded mods in v2.6 then.

The distance from the turn that the first command is given is based on the speed at the time of the instruction.

I don't think so as my unit is running v2.6 and also tells me to turn right a few hundred feet before the junction. It's not a major problem as long as you use the map screen in combination with the spoken instructions.

Thw two things I would like to see implemented would be

A: The ability to edit a recent find. I vivited several addresses with very similar postcodes today and found it a little tiresome using the scroll wheel to enter MK43 over and over again. So for instance when I go to enter a new address it would be nice to have the last postcode I typed in come straight up instead of having to go through the whole process again.

and

B: and I know this is a lot less likely but here goes anyway.
Some sort of software for the PC which would alow me to load on a list of addresses instead of having to enter them all manually.

That's all for now.

Hi by the way.
Tubal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a warning well before the junction (usually giving you time to check the map) and then again in plenty of time to turn. I keep forgetting to update so I am on V2.4
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woolley wrote:
B: and I know this is a lot less likely but here goes anyway.
Some sort of software for the PC which would alow me to load on a list of addresses instead of having to enter them all manually.

Somethere in these threads there is a link to a site that enables you to enter a list of addresses and then returns, by email a POI file in the required format. I haven't tried it but it looks pretty good.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 6 of 14

Jump to: