Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin StreetPilot i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin StreetPilot i3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: What Voice Prompts should I expect ? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've just bought my first ever Sat Nav - the i3, and the first thing I did was to upgrade to v2.60, and I've just been out for my first test drive.

Now everything looks really neat, and works well, but I have questions over the voice prompt. I wasn't getting the forward info I would expect. For instance when at roundabouts it just went "Enter 2nd Exit" and once on a main road just went "Drive". It didn't seem to tell me about 200 metres away from turns that I should be ready to do so etc.

Is it me or is this part of it a bit naff ?

Or more likely is there a setting I need to change ?

Please help, this one little thing is annoying me !!!

Also, if you want to help then is there an easy way to display all the POI's on the screen or even a selection of them ?

Many Thanks Guys and Gals

Chris
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and if you can't be bothered to look then just change the voice language (in settings) to something else, then change it back to english AND WAIT until it loads fully.

MaFt
wildey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Thanks for help..... Reply with quote

Thankyou for that tip. Even though it was late i did look through the thread and found the answer.

It seems to be working now, however I'm a bit confused that when I approach a turn it doesn't tell me any distance warnings, i.e. turn left in 300 yards and when I get to a turn it says "turn right (as expected), then turn left".

Is it predicting the next turn or is it still not functioning properly ?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for help..... Reply with quote

wildey wrote:
Thankyou for that tip. Even though it was late i did look through the thread and found the answer.

It seems to be working now, however I'm a bit confused that when I approach a turn it doesn't tell me any distance warnings, i.e. turn left in 300 yards and when I get to a turn it says "turn right (as expected), then turn left".

Is it predicting the next turn or is it still not functioning properly ?

if it's 2 turns in quick succession it will just say turn left then turn right i.e. straight away. if it does it at the same place each time then i guess that's why. if it says it at every turn then that's a bit strange...
wildey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

and should it give me distance warnings, ie. turn off or turn left in 300 metres ?

Thanks for your help.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: .. Reply with quote

wildey wrote:
and should it give me distance warnings, ie. turn off or turn left in 300 metres ?

Thanks for your help.

firmware version 2.4 did , but the new versions dont which feel is much better..
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: .. Reply with quote

wildey wrote:

not if the turn is imediately after another one.

it could say 'in 0.8 miles turn left then turn right' then as you near the turning it would say 'turn left then turn right' then sometimes it might quickly say 'turn right'

this only tends to happen when turns are very close together though. if the 2 turns are quite far apart you will get a distance for the 2nd turn.

MaFt
BERT_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: .. Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
wildey wrote:

Thanks for your help.

firmware version 2.4 did , but the new versions dont which feel is much better..

I'm using version 2.5 firmware and distance warnings are given. I think you may need to reinstall the voice files if this isn't working.

It may be worth doing a full reset (also mentioned earlier on in the thread) as well to ensure any old voice data files are removed.

On my initial installation the voice files didn't fully load and voice prompts (particularly distance prompts) were very erratic. A full reset and voice reinstall cleared this up. I believe the new firmwares have a progress bar when the voice files are being installed, but I haven't reinstalled since these new releases so don;t know if you are forced to wait.

Good luck.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to clarify..version 2.0 gave out distances in feet when approaching turns etc...version 2.5/2.6 gives out distances in point of a mile ie ''point 5 miles to roundabout''....
Thomas_Quest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just noticed that my garmin has speed warnings and traffic light warnings integrated into the original maps (switzerland/austria).
every time my route crosses a Safety Camera, the top bar changes to red and indicates the speed limit or a traffic light with camera.
you also get an acoustic warning
pretty cool feature.
best regards
Quest
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas_Quest wrote:
i just noticed that my garmin has speed warnings and traffic light warnings integrated into the original maps (switzerland/austria).
every time my route crosses a Safety Camera, the top bar changes to red and indicates the speed limit or a traffic light with camera.
you also get an acoustic warning
pretty cool feature.
best regards
Quest

If you have the UK camera database loaded it also does this on the UK map. If you're exceeding the speed limit it also gives continuous "boings" until you slow down which is pretty cool !
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect Garmin dont want to go down the route of loading cameras onto UK version for a few reasons

1. They constantly need updating, or become useless
2. There is currently talk that the Commons are going to try to ban snoopers and the like from being used

DSL - Don't Say Leonard
Jaz666
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pauljmuk wrote:

2. There is currently talk that the Commons are going to try to ban snoopers and the like from being used

Not quite correct...............

Only Laser speed gun detectors are being outlawed. Older models of Snoopers and Road Angels will still be legal to use, as there is an option to disable the laser detector.
kevinbev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a fiddle about with the i3 the other day, went onto the main page about to alter the settings, and the whole thing locked up (v2.5). Already being a bit peeved about the new map update coming out shortly and not being able to update free of charge I took the opportunity of taking the unit back to PCW with the batteries still in and unit still on. When checking contents counter staff asked where the cd was to which I replied there wasnt one. "There should be it states on the box". Anyway after they checked another unopened unit they realised that what it states on the box is not necessarily what you get. Offered the new unit or refund so took refund for now. Hope I dont have to wait too long for the mapping updates so I can get another.
Willie_Ekaslike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered mine on-line fron Maplins and it came with a CD (not sure what is on it other than the usb drivers) Will look when I get home...

ERROR: Keyboard not attached, Press F1 to continue.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 27 of 39

Jump to: