Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin StreetPilot i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin StreetPilot i3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sun4u
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: CitySelect Europe Reply with quote

Can you CitySelect Europe CD/DVD, which came with C320, with i3 ?
Sun4u
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCWorld says 128Mb Transflash required....Maplin says 256Mb Included.

What did you received?

erne wrote:
I just picked up one from PC world. Plenty in stock and £199.99
Very good bit of kit
erne
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

256mb same as maplin
attic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Hard Wiring Reply with quote

Has anyone hardwired their unit into the car?

I'm planning to connect a 12v to 5v convertor onto an ignition-powered cable (feeding the radio or ciggie lighter), then cut the end off a usb cable and connect up the red and black leads to the 5v and 0v from the convertor.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Has anyone done this already?

thanks
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hard Wiring Reply with quote

attic wrote:
Has anyone hardwired their unit into the car?

electricity scares me... i'd much prefer just using the supplied lead!! not heard of anyone doing this, but can't really see why you'd want to to be honest. the lead is perfectly fine and is certainly long enough to be fed under my dashboard tucked away neatly and still has a bit of slack for if i move the unit around.

MaFt
Cuppa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about to do this myself in both cars, but not quite the same way. I am going to buy a triple extension (1.7m cable) and cut the end off. Hardwire this into the cig lighter terminals and run it to an unobtrusive place, roof of driver footwell or similar. Then I'm going to plug my garmin + phone into it. That way, my existing lighter socket will be unaffected so I can use it for my other gizmos, plus should I decide to have anything else as a permanent fixture I still have a slot in the extension.

I'm going to use this one...

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/4302.htm

Am going to buy another power cable whilst I'm at it for 2nd car (think this has already been posted):

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/4668.htm
faith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Been reading all the great stuff everyone has written about the garmin Streetpilot i3 gps device. Just one more question before I run off to buy mine . . . can anyone confirm to me if indeed the software fix from Garmin has fixed all the lockups and freezes? Or is there still a recurrence?

Will like to know before I go to splash out the dough at pcworld.

Cheers.

NB: Does anyone miss the fact that it is not touch screen?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faith wrote:

NB: Does anyone miss the fact that it is not touch screen?

no. the scroll/click wheel is very easy to use, and quick too. if you want to save a position as a POI then you just hold the click wheel down a couple of seconds.

MaFt
FriendlyBloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can only speak for myself, but since downloading latest version, I've had no problems with lock-up. Yet to do a long journey (100 miles+). No problem with scroll wheel, but then don't know any different...........

hope this helps
GeckoGirl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: More on I3's Reply with quote

garyrk wrote:

Posed a similar question to Garmin US and got a better response to ... map availability/compatibility - please see:
Quote:

Hello Gary,

There will be additonal regions for Europe to purchase. These will be available soon but there is no confirmed shipping date. To be honest 2 weeks time is unlikely for you.

You could purchase city select Europe via an automotive kit say for our GPS MAP 60c. This will have City Select Europe maps on CD ROM which will enable you to use on your unit. YOu will need to also purchase a blank mirco SD card from a computer/camera shop. The Automotive kit RRP at 186.48.

The pre programmed cards will RRP at £76.66 ex VAT each.

The regions will be split down to 8 regions with France and Benelux being one of them.

Thank you.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

I contacted www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk after reading this to buy a kit that included the CitySelect Europe CD. They were a bit dubious about it and said that each CitySelect CD was slightly different as it was for a specific Garmin model and weren't necessarily compatible across the range.

I then contacted www.garmin.com about it, and received this reply today:
Quote:

We don't no when we are going bring out the maps fro eupo. You can't send city select version 7 down to the SD card. The maps of city select are only 2D and your GPS is 3D.

Regards,
Brad Rose
Product Support
Garmin (Europe) Ltd

Has anyone actually tried this? The preloaded UK & Ireland maps are City Select, and I think the i3 has an option to show maps in either 2D or 3D (I could be wrong though)

I'm going on holiday to Italy quite soon and would like to take my i3 with me, preferable with Europe maps loaded! Any feedback gratefully received.
Thanks
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geckogirl...the i3 has an option for 2d or 3d mapping..i think the garmin chap might be right that the 'normal' city selects wont show 3d mapping but to be honest 2d is enough..also dont know whether you will get voice prompts either...we will have to wait for someone on this forum who has all the bits to load city select europe or mg usa v4 onto a blank transflash card and see if it works on the i3....
GeckoGirl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zogman. It's all a bit confusing as the garmin website says CitySelect Europe is compatible with the i3. I may just have to bite the bullet and buy the CD, and see what happens.... Confused
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geckogirl..to confuse things even more the city select europe cd's need an 'unlock code' which is partnered to your gps, so i dont know how this will work!
GeckoGirl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's what www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk were concerned about. You can buy the software standalone from Garmin with an unlock code - but as their advice tends to be a bit contradictory it could be a bit of a gamble.
attic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Hard Wiring Reply with quote

I did the hard wiring tonight.

Used this from Carnetix to step down to 5v
http://www.carnetix.com/P5V.htm

Works on permanent 12v plus ignition switch cable to turn on. I fed it from the stereo inputs.

Then cut the end off a spare usb cable and hooked up red and black wires.

Easy to do...

All wires hidden, no cigarette lights socket...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 6 of 39

Jump to: