Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem Cant get insurance for my tt300
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem Cant get insurance for my tt300

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bx19
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Problem Cant get insurance for my tt300 Reply with quote

:x shmbo brought me a tt300 on Monday last :D Thursday i said "best check that the car insurance covers it "to my horror they dont Evil or Very Mad (Lloyds TSB both house contents and car) they say its portable its house. Phone house insurance and after a lot of arguing they wont either as it goes in the car its car insurance.So we`ve gone to the bank to moan and TSB say they will insure only if it a Manufactorer fit. So where does this leave me Sad any ideas ???... Tel
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bx19,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

Best advice is to change your insurance company!

When my car was broken into, I claimed on the car insurance to get the damage done to the car repaired. I claimed on the house insurance to replace the stolen items. I use the same insurance company for car and home

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I explained to my House & Contents Insurance Co that it was not a permanent fixing in the car, that it would not be left in the car when I wasn't there, and that I kept it in doors overnight.

They covered it for a nominal fee.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that a request to terminate the insurance and refund the balance with a letter of confirmation of bonuses etc. usually causes a prompt reconsideration.

If they don't do that and let you leave, you are probably better off. Just think how they will deal with any sort of claim!! Maybe they share the same customer service advisor as TomTom. Rolling Eyes
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Malc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had my tomtom go classic stolen, car insurance would'nt pay out as it was'nt fixed but house insurance did, after telling them you could use outside the car.
so got a new tt go 500. :D
fatmanscoop
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had my classic stolen and i claimed on car insurance they covered the tt for up to £500 and repaired my car (norwich union) and sent the cheque for the stolen unit within 2 days of reporting ti..
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatmanscoop wrote:
had my classic stolen and i claimed on car insurance they covered the tt for up to £500 and repaired my car (norwich union) and sent the cheque for the stolen unit within 2 days of reporting ti..

I'm with NU for house insurance and they cover my car contents for theft and accidental damage.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have to remember is, that these days there so few underwriters around who will really understand what is and what isn't covered. You often have to do with a poorly trained clerk, who to be honest don't have a clue! Having been an underwriter myself - I have on many occasions been called upon by friends to deal with 'jobsworths' at insurance companies, and have regularly had to remind them that they are dealing with a 'contract' of insurance - and that it is what is in the contract rather than what they are saying which applies. When I have been told that the insurance does not cover XYZ (usually when my friends have been claiming) I have simply insisted that they show exactly where in the Policy document it says it is excluded (since these days so much insurance is 'All-Risks' which without going into too many details means that you have cover for anything which fits into one of the categories unless it is excluded - regardless of what they intended).

Yes you were able to get cover as a specified item, but under many policies it could have already been covered as an unspecified item outside the home - possibly even yours!
Jammy1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is insured as a personal posession on my house insurance. I am covered for £2000.
lasitha
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just called my contents insurance company (Halifax). The woman I spoke to said (after checking with her manager), it WON'T be covered since the TT GO unit is classified as a "car accessory" (even tough it can be used outside the car)
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lasitha wrote:
Just called my contents insurance company (Halifax). The woman I spoke to said (after checking with her manager), it WON'T be covered since the TT GO unit is classified as a "car accessory" (even tough it can be used outside the car)

I would simply respond with the reverse argument. You could argue that it is a "portable gps device that you are also able to use in a car". They are making this up as they go along. Ask them to point you to the exclusion in the small print - I'll bet they can't
lasitha
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always take the unit with me or leave it in the boot. If it is stolen from a locked boot, I don't see how they can refuse to pay out.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: