Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS for Motorbike?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS for Motorbike?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mottus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: GPS for Motorbike? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Dell Axim X5, and am interested in knowing if it is possible to use this as a GPS system - on a motorbike?

If anyone has any advice on setting up GPS systems for motorbikes I'd be grateful for any info.

Cheers
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome.

Using the PDA on the motorbike should be straightforward. You need

1) a watertight, sturdy case/holder for the PDA
2) a Bluetooth GPS receiver (watertight would be a bonus)
3) Navigation software

Item 1) could be an Otterbox, items 2) and 3) sometimes come in bundles, but can also be purchased separately. Not every software is biker friendly - I would recommend CoPilot or Mapopolis - they give the biggest freedom for bending the route to your likings.

If you want to connect the PDA to your helmet speaker then you will need to look into the appropriate cable connection.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
mottus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your advice.

I've been reading a number of postings from those using a PDA GPS on a motorbike.

I get the impression that bluetooth devices suffer from dropout - so the general advice is to go for CF. With this in mind, I'm tempted by the SysonChip CF GPS receiver which seems to get a great review - however, there seems to be reservations re: Dell Axim PDAs

I like the idea of the Otterbox to keep the PDA safe - but am not sure how easy this would fit to the bike. The mounts I've seen all appear to fit round handle bars - on my Blackbird they're rectangle in cross-section. Also, not sure if the CF receiver would fit inside the Otterbox.

With regard software - looking at the reviews, TomTom Nav3 seems to get the best reviews - especiallt re voice direction.

The only thing I seem happy about is that as I use an Autocom Pro intercom headset - that comes with a socket I can connect the audio output from my PDA to.

The more info I read the more confused I'm getting.

At the moment I'm thinking - SysonChip CF GPS receiver, TomTom Nav3, an additional SD drive to boost the memory - and using the tank bag map case.

Does this sound a reasonable setup can anyone advise?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only recommend you rethink your CF choice. A CF receiver will always compete with the PDA screen for the optimal viewing angle (the receiver needs sky view, the screen needs to be pointing in the general direction of your nose).

BlueTooth receiver dropouts are mostly due to configuration error (wrong GPS driver), or to greediness (too many POIs selected). But with a BT receiver you have absolute control over the viewing field, both for the PDA and for the sat reception.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
mottus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dell Axim X5 isn't bluetooth enabled. I've checked the Dell website, and whilst they offer a bluetooth cf card, they specifically state it cannot be used for GPS.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mottus wrote:
I get the impression that bluetooth devices suffer from dropout

I can honestly say I have never had a Bluetooth dropout... the range between devices is good for 10 metres.

For a motorcycle I would think Bluetooth is the best option - 1] no wires 2] it's own independent power supply.

Surely there are bikers who use GPS out there that can offer first hand advice?
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mottus wrote:
The Dell Axim X5 isn't bluetooth enabled. I've checked the Dell website, and whilst they offer a bluetooth cf card, they specifically state it cannot be used for GPS.

Dell (as usually) don't know what they are talking about. All you need is a little registry editing, and your BT CF card will wotrk with GPS as well.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why get an X5 and tie up the CF slot?

Surely better to get an integrated BT such as the iPAQ 2210/15 or Mio 558 and keep both slots free?
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: GPS for Motorbike? Reply with quote

mottus wrote:
If anyone has any advice on setting up GPS systems for motorbikes I'd be grateful for any info.

I used a Garmin GPS-V with a RAM mount on my CBR 600 for about 18 months. I now have CoPilot on Smartphone which I also use on the bike from time to time.

The are a few issues with using GPS on the bike:

How to waterproof the GPS. The Garmin is a waterproof unit so no problems there. When I use CoPilot on my smartphone I put it in a zip lock plastic bag when it rains or leave it in the open if it is not raining. For PDAs there are Otter boxes which have been mentioned already.

How to mount it. Check out RAM mounts, they are excellent and hold things nice and steady. I use a U-bolt RAM mount for my Garmin like the one reviewed here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/rambikemount.php It attaches to the round part of the left handlebar between the switch gear for the indicators/headlights and the clutch mounting point. You may not think there is enough space, but there is - just. I'm pretty sure the CBR600 bars are the same as the Blackbird. The Smartphone is in a car cradle which is bungied to the headstock between the ignition and the left handlebar (not the greatest arrangement).

How to power it. I just use the batteries, I guess you could wire up a power lead for it if you are touring but I mostly do <6 hour rides so I have never really felt the need. You could probably rig up a power connector for your PDA or put one under the seat so you can hide your PDA under the seat to recharge it while you are stopped.

Bluetooth vs CF - I'll take Bluetooth anytime. I have a Holux GPS which was about £110 from http://www.holux-uk.com/

Where to put the GPS receiver? I put mine under the seat and hold it in place with the bungies that hold the toolkit down. It works well enough, provided you don't have a pillion! If you are riding with luggage then you can put it in the top of the luggage where it has a good view of the sky. If you use a tank bag with a clear map window in the top then put your PDA / GPS in there (also solves the waterproofing problem).

How to listen to the voice prompts? I am not that bothered about getting voice prompts while I am on the move. It helps if the screen lights up when you approach a turn so it gets your attention, but generally I just keep an eye on the "distance to next turn" countdown. You can't hear the voice from the speaker if you are doing more than 10 MPH. I tried using the phone hands free kit but it was too uncomfortable. I guess the idea thing to have would be a headset (maybe Bluetooth) built in to your helmet. I have found that you can't really use a hands free phone kit on a bike at over 50 MPH - it's too noisy to hold a conversation.

GPS on a bike is brilliant. I like to plan a route on my PC covering some "interesting" roads and then upload it to the GPS. I then know where I am going and how long I will be away. When you get back you can have a look at the track log to see where you actually went. Along the way I mark the good roads so I know for next time I go riding.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check http://www.ram-mount-uk.com for RAM Mounts in the UK and Europe, and also customer galleries so you can see how other people mounted a similar solution on the same bike.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS for Motorbike? Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
I use a U-bolt RAM mount for my Garmin like the one reviewed here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/rambikemount.php It attaches to the round part of the left handlebar. I'm pretty sure the CBR600 bars are the same as the Blackbird.

Actually looking at this again, I don't think the Blackbird has the same bars. Sorry! Rolling Eyes

As Dave points out, you should have a look at http://www.ram-mount-uk.com to see some good pictures of mounts on bikes, including the BB.
bigfatjohn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/john-childs.php

When I did this I was using TomTom bluetooth but it gave me so many problems that I ditched it and now use a Haicom 303MMF CF receiver which has cured all my problems. To be fair I think that it was a problem with the Tomtom receiver, rather than bluetooth in general, because I use the Haicom with the BT401 bluetooth slipper in my car and that performs flawlessly. Whatever, I now have a choice and versatility, and that suits me.

I don't think that angle of screen and receiver is a problem. Firstly any receiver will get no finer view of the sky than on a bike and secondly the angle of the receiver is adjustable. Mine works with the CF receiver folded right back against the pda.

If you have Autocom then you just plug the sound from your pda into it. If you already have both sockets on the Autocom box filled you will need a Y connector, which Autocomm can supply. I've got satnav, phone, radio, six stack cd player and iPod plugged into mine and all fed through into my helmet.
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mottus wrote:

My Axim X5 was purchased not long after Dell first started selling them, and it works perfectly fine with a (BlueMonkey) bluetooth CF card and Socket BT GPS unit.

lbendlin may be correct that some X5 models - perhaps the later models - may need registry editing for BT enabling, but mine didn't need any.
mottus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided on the following;
TomTom Navigator 3
Holux GR231 BT GPS receiver
Lexar 1Gb SD
Bluemonkey BT CF adapter.

Many thanks to everyone for all the help/advice. It all seems to work OK - although I have a question regarding TomTom 3 & the GR231. When setting up, the available list of devices within TT (for Holux) are, GM200, GM210, and GM270 CF.

I picked GM200 - an it appears to work, and finds the GR231 - 10 sate while sat in my office. Does anyone know if GM200 is the correct on to select, or should it be GM210. I guess GM270 is for a CF receiver.

Cheers,
Gary

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: