Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to run Navigator and Memory-Map together on an Ipaq 6915
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to run Navigator and Memory-Map together on an Ipaq 6915

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gidon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: How to run Navigator and Memory-Map together on an Ipaq 6915 Reply with quote

Firstly you need this free Port Splitter program:
http://gpsmeter.mobileground.com/

Run this program and select input port as "Internal AGPS NMEA" and baud to 57600. In the output box add two available COM ports (for me 0 and 2 come up). You may have to do a software reset first to clear them. Take a note of these two ports. Hit "Start Splitter".

Download something like this registry editor.
Edit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TomTom\GPSSettings and change the ComPortNumber to one of the COM ports noted above.

You then need to enable the (hidden) GPS control panel on the 6915 by editing the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel\GPS "hide" value to 0. Then go into the control panel (Start|Settings|System|GPS) and click on the access tab. Clear the "Manage GPS automatically" checkbox. (TomTom doesn't pick up the split COM port without doing this).

Now GPS Navigation (TomTom Navigator) should run ok. To run Memory- Map or another GPS application just set it up to use the other split COM port.

Seems to work pretty well in my brief play with it.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers

Gidon
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Download something like this registry editor.
Edit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TomTom\GPSSettings and change the ComPortNumber to one of the COM ports noted above.

You then need to enable the (hidden) GPS control panel on the 6915 by editing the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel\GPS "hide" value to 0. Then go into the control panel (Start|Settings|System|GPS) and click on the access tab. Clear the "Manage GPS automatically" checkbox. (TomTom doesn't pick up the split COM port without doing this).

the above only applies to mw05 pdas . wm2003/2003se doesnot have this built in port splitter so you have to use somehting like fanson's GPS gate

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
gidon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliz776 - sorry I don't quite understand? I am not using the built in capabilities - I'm using the linked Port Splitter. Are you saying I don't need this Port Splitter? Port Splitter is a free equivilent to GPS gate as far as I can tell?
Cheers
Gidon
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the 69xx has wm05 then the unhidden gps icon on wm05 machines will act as a port splitter

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
gidon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, it doesn't make any difference having the applet hidden or not. The device by itself doesn't let TomTom and Memory-Map run at the same time.

I think the issue is WM 05 does support port splitting - but the applications have to understand it. TomTom and Memory Map don't appear to. They still both communicate with the hardware COM port not the program GPD port that I believe they would have to for port sharing to work.

Cheers

Gidon
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gidon wrote:
As I understand it, it doesn't make any difference having the applet hidden or not. The device by itself doesn't let TomTom and Memory-Map run at the same time.

I think the issue is WM 05 does support port splitting - but the applications have to understand it. TomTom and Memory Map don't appear to.
Well I have Memory Map and TomTom running together using a WM2005 equipped device, one issue could be down to the actual provider of the Bluetooth stack loaded to the device the Microsoft stack will work this way, however the Widcomm equipped Ipaq's running WM2005 do not appear to support the feature, so the extra application may well be required to support these devices - Mike
gidon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Well I have Memory Map and TomTom running together using a WM2005 equipped device

Thats interesting - could you let me know the settings in Memory Map and if you've done anything special to get them working together? If I start TomTom and then start Memory Map - Memory Map says it's can't open the COM port. Does your device have integral GPS? Also what versions of TomTom and MM are you using?

Cheers

Gidon
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTN is version 5,21 and the Memory map is the latest at version 5,0,6
The GPS device is a Bluetooth Holux GPSlim236, the PDA is an XDA-Exec (WM2005 with MicroSoft B stack).

When configuring the Bluetooth on the PDA I set the outgoing port to COM0
In the GPS Applet Hardware port is set to Com0, Program Port is COM4
Manage Automatically is ticked.
In TomTom I use "Other Bluetooth GPS" set to COM0
In Memory map I select the GPS to use COM4 - both applications will work fine on the device, I have it sat next to me at the moment having just configured it again, I couldn't remember the exact set-up Embarassed , so I have re-created it, I hope this helps - Mike
gidon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
Many thanks for that. I still can't get it working with the GPS applet alone. The main difference I see between my setup and yours is you are using MM 5 - I'm using 4.4.3. I can't check because all my maps are 2004 as well. Also could be something to do with the GPS being integrated?
The truth is although I'd like to get them working together without the hassle of my top post, I'm not sure I generally need them both working together and I imagine it must slow things down a bit.
Still I would still like to get to the bottom of it - may ring MM next week.
Thanks again,
Gidon
gidon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore my last post! Just tried more combinations of program and hardware ports and read this Microsoft article properly which helped explained what it's all about!
Now it works just using the GPS applet!
For any 6915 users: hardware port is COM7, program port I used (has to be a free one) is COM0 - and this is the one your programs use. As a 6915 user you still need to show the GPS applet as above and change the TomTom COM port in the registry. But leave "Manage GPS ..." ticked.
Thanks all!
Cheers
Gidon
(I guess HP don't want you doing this though - not sure why?)
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, I am finding neither:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TomTom\GPSSettings nor
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel\GPS

... in my WM2003.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantum, you will not find the GPS applet on a WM2003 based deveice, it is only found (or un-hidden) on devices using WM2005 as the operating system, for your device you can try the port splitter application mentioned at the start of this thread or try Fransons GPS gate program to feed multiple programs with the GPS data stream - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: