Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Traffic information
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Traffic information

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djc1610
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Traffic information Reply with quote

I have a GO 730 which does not have any traffic info capability.

I think I am right in saying that information can be given on the &30 via a wired receiver (as per the 730T) or through a bluetooth enabled phone.

I believe that the wired system is not too reliable and only update every 30 minutes or so but the only cost is that of the purchase of the receiver.

Using a Bluetooth phone seems to give a more reliable and more frequent update but the use of the phone to get this info is not free.

Now that's how I read it but as my knowledge is sketchy at the best I welcome any corrections necessary.

My question are

1. How is the information received - is it through a standard phone connection (so much per minute) or is it received as data (usually so much per MB)?

2. Which is the best pay-as-you-talk network?

3. Is this system much better than the wired receiver?

4. Would a Sony Ericsson W910i be a suitable phone with the GO 730?

VW RNS 510 and TomTom 5200 World
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wired receiver known as RDS-TMC has been problematic in terms of getting a reliable signal in parts of the country, this has improved but the data quality isn't too clever from what I have experianced. If you have a car with an Athermic (heat reflective) windscreen then don't bother with one of these receivers as the coating on your screen will kill the FM signals to the point your device won't receive anything.

Getting Traffic data via your mobile phone offers better (but far from perfect) traffic data, it is subscription based and you also incur network charges from your mobile phone company. Charges are not too bad though as the data downloads are quite small, switch it off if you are outside the country of intended use for the phone as data charges while abroad are very costly.
As for a PAYG service that will work, Orange and T-Mobile are fine, avoid O2 PAYG as that won't work. Make sure you have full internet access available from your network provider (GPRS not just WAP) and try using the Weather service on your TomTom (which is free) to make sure your set up is working prior to paying any subscription charge - Mike
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the GPRS traffic service via bluetooth everyday and find it very good.

As I don't pay the bills it's even better.

I do also also use Google Maps traffic on my Windows mobile which shows a red or black line for serious traffic delays.

The best traffic receiver is your eyes most of the time, as if I see a jam before I join a motorway I go another route. Very Happy
djc1610
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.

I agree with your sentiments about using your eyes to their fullest extent.

My daughter has got me interested in the subject. She has a flash Mercedes with a built in Sat Nav and she uses her phone to get traffic updates. Like you she does not seem to know and does not worry about the phone costs. For a poor old down trodden under funded pensioner like me costs are much more important. (Now I do hope that all of you are not too upset by my parlous financial state - to be honest I have exaggerated just a tiny bit)

I also believe that the Sat Nav is a great aid but nothing beats using tour common sense and checking the maps before setting out.

However it greatly improves travelling by car, especially when driving alone. I do miss my wife's dulcet tones telling me (quite unusually) where to go and what to do.

VW RNS 510 and TomTom 5200 World
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use RDS-TMC virtually every day, and I always get a signal in the areas that I drive. I also find that the quality of the data is pretty good.

It actually updates much more frequently than every 30 minutes - I think it is at 5 minute intervals.

Whichever system you use, it should also be in conjunction with radio traffoc reports and motorway matrix signs.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djchapple wrote:
I do miss my wife's dulcet tones telling me (quite unusually) where to go and what to do.

Somewhere, there is a lovely set of instructions on how to replace the TomTom pre-recorded navigation instructions with your own recorded instructions, so you could manage that if you could persuade her to spend the time recording them all - there are a lot.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
SQUARE2024
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up using both the TomTom traffic system [not renewing when due] and the RDS-TMC as they never ever semed to be up to date when I had used them,to be warned about a traffic hold up that had cleared some time previous is not want I want,very disappointed with both.

TomTom 520
Christmas Draw 2010 Grand Final Winner Garmin Nuvi 1490TV

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: