Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go 930t
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go 930t

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moreno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: TomTom Go 930t Reply with quote

Can the 930t communicate with the car stereo broadcasting the directions over the car speakers? I know some can, but does the 930t?

thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 930 can play the navigation voice via the Line Out socket which you need to connect to an Aux input on the car stereo.

It used to play nav instructions via the FM Tx but that has recently been disabled due to EU law.

The only other method that works (very well) is to use a Bluetooth stereo in the car and connect the 930 to it using Bluetooth - far better sound quality and not prone to interference from adjacent channels (an issue with the FM Tx) or Ground Loops (an issue with Line Out wired connections in some vehicles) - Mike
Moreno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant, I have a bluetooth stereo in my car, so it should connect to this and broadcast over it?

What I was hoping for was the music to play as normal and then the gps to break in when it needs to give a direction or update....is this possible?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the stereo works with the TomTom (not all do) then you have the option to pause the music or not when using Bluetooth - this is a user selectable option.
If you find the TomTom won't connect to the car deck via Bluetooth then there are some third party files you can add to the device that might get it working - best thing is to give it a try - which car deck do you have? - Mike
Moreno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.

It is a pioneer, but not sure of the model. I have my phone connected to it, and when a call comes in it mutes the music for the call and then replays it when the call has finished. Does the 930t do something similar?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Yes", is the answer, if you have the call working through the TomTom.
"No idea!" is my answer if you have the phone routed through the car stereo.
It might not be able to cope with two BT connections at once. Try it and report back! Smile
Moreno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will report, but that wasnt my question....

I meant if I just have the GPS connected via bluetooth to the stereo, forgetting about the phone and I have the stereo on with music playing, will the 930t interrupt the music when the next command comes in, or will it not allow music to be played?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have an additional options screen when using Bluetooth for the audio output thats lets you select to either

1/ Pause Music during spoken instructions
2/ Don't paues music during spoken instructions.

You can select it eithway, I don't pause the music on my unit as I prefer it this way - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moreno wrote:
Will report, but that wasnt my question....

Sorry, I misunderstood. When you asked "when a call comes in it mutes the music for the call and then replays it when the call has finished. Does the 930t do something similar?" I thought you meant 'does the TT mute for a call'.

But yes, as Mike says, with Bluetooth you have the option of whether to pause the music or not.
At first, having it pause sounds like a good idea, but when you get into some situations where there are a lot of instructions coming one after the other (like a string of roundabouts or some complicated backstreet route) the music pauses so much it gets ridiculous. I have it set to not pause and just adjust the relative volumes so you can still hear the instructions.
Moreno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb guys, thanks for the info. I have ordered it and it arrives on Wed hopefully.

Just to clear up, is the music it is pausing coming from the unit or the car stereo?
chrisjr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pausing the music depends on which device is doing the playing.

I have a730 (not hugely different in operation to the 930) and it can act as an mp3 player if that sort of thing floats your boat. If you are playing music off the TomTom then it can indeed pause the music while telling you where to go.

However whether the same will happen if the music is playing off the car stereo is anothe matter. That depends entirely on the car stereo I should think. But if it does it for a phone call there is every chance it will do it for the TomTom

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: