Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Directional / Accident Blackspots
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Directional / Accident Blackspots

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vibeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Directional / Accident Blackspots Reply with quote

We all know the tomtom database is a bit rubbish, however

1) They have accident blackspot data, which is useful, and I leave this one turned on, despite using PGPSW cameras.

2) They appear to now support direction based information - ie: They only warn when traveling in the direction the camera is facing.

Can PGPSW data do either of these, and if not, why not(Smile), and when will they ;)

Any comments?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have directional data but at the moment the standard ov2 format does not cater for this. garmin also do similar, they do not allow directional data to be used for 3rd party providers - which to me is very bad..!

MaFt
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"They have accident blackspot data"

There are some good POI's about which cover this data, and being a standalone they are easier to add to/edit etc. In most cases where you find a camera of some sort your also find its an accident hotspot ( hence the term safety cameras? )

"They appear to now support direction based information - ie: They only warn when traveling in the direction the camera is facing."

An interesting point, so if im going towards a front-car facing camera (pointing in the opp direction to my travel - say a truvelo ), does that mean the tomtom data wont pick me up as its facing the other way? - Seeing as we have front and rear facing cameras which can pick up i dont really see this is relevant? - the pgpw scdb is split down into camera types, and you can set a warn on route option.

MPW
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpwilson99 wrote:

An interesting point, so if im going towards a front-car facing camera (pointing in the opp direction to my travel - say a truvelo ), does that mean the tomtom data wont pick me up as its facing the other way?

If it is working correctly, you can ignore any concerns/confusions about which way the camera is facing.
The relevant information (as used on the camera submission form here) is the direction or "heading" in which you are travelling in order to get "caught" by the camera, irrespective of whether it is front or rear facing.
pendlemac
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpwilson99 wrote:
An interesting point, so if im going towards a front-car facing camera (pointing in the opp direction to my travel - say a truvelo ), does that mean the tomtom data wont pick me up as its facing the other way? - Seeing as we have front and rear facing cameras which can pick up i dont really see this is relevant? - the pgpw scdb is split down into camera types, and you can set a warn on route option.

I can see what you mean, but directional information would have been useful for me this weekend. I've been driving in South Cumbria on narrow roads where you are lucky to do 40 but I've been getting 'Mobile 70' alerts because these roads cross a major dual-carriageway and the camera vans park on the bridge. ( Sorry, they weren't there so I couldn't verify the locations. Laughing ) Also, on my way home I was getting alerts for cameras on the other side of the single-carriageway road I was on.

Wonder if TomTom will start doing directional warnings?
vibeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do.

That was one half of my original post!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have started doing it for their OWN camera database, but not for any other POIs.

So your choice is to use the PGPSW database and get the odd warning from the other side of the road, or to use the TomTom one and not get false alerts for those, but not get warnings for all the cameras they've missed either!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: