Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One Info? - v3 or Third Edition
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One Info? - v3 or Third Edition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TTOV3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there, newb here - weren't we all 1@1 time eh :0

just got my new Tom Tom One V3 a couple of days ago, you'd never guess by the username hehe Laughing

anyway i found my way here and i think i've just hit on one of the best [if not the best] site/resource on the net for tomtom owners

already i found the tomtom pre installed camera database to be pretty useless - i know of 2 mobile speed traps within a mile of my home and neither show from tomtoms database, so expect i'll end up getting the one from here and replacing it

before any purchase, i've got a couple of questions please, if i may ?

does the dbase now come with voice .ogg files ?

somewhere on this site i found a google map which showed cams, is this an indication of the ones on the pgps dbase ?

finally, where did you guys find out about the "100 max" poi's ? i've RTEFM supplied by tomtom and not even a mention, i did note in another post someone said that it was 100 on version 6 soft, mine came with 7.101 - do you know if there's any improvement on 100 with later versions ?

counting .ov2 files as the 1 file for a poi you cant do without im i'm 97 already Shocked which i'm thinking means i'd have problems with the pgps one as isn't there like about 17 .ov2 files needed ?

many thx

TTOV3...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, do you have a One V3 or One Third Edition? - this is important to know before offering specific advice, for some stupid reason the supplier has decided to confuse everyone by numbering the TomTom One devices this way!

Irrespective of device though you can use the Pocket GPS World Speed Camera Database on it, to gain access to the downloads page for the database you will need to be a fully subscribed member of the site, you can also configure it to work with the ogg files which are available as a free download in a number of different voices with other options (see This Page for the ogg files) The Pocket GPS World speed camera database does include mobile camera locations and I would be 99% sure the mobile locations near you will be contained within it, if not you can always submit the locations to the site for subsequent inclusion to the database.

The issue around the max number of POI files has allways been an issue with the TomTom software as it changes/ evolves, the new version 7 software came out so people simply added POI files until the software exposed its limit. With version 7 there is a further complication due to the map share option which can be used to update the maps and POI content, doing this consumes some of your 100 Custom POI limit which is not very good, neither is it possible to predict the number of Custom POI files you can have on the device after a map share update.
If you don't use the Map Share to update POI files and use custom POI files instead, such as the free quality POI sets available from this site then you can have upto 100 on it, or use the "Combine Subcats" option when downloading to consolidate the POI files into fewer categories. For example ATM (Cash Machines) it doesn't matter which bank just where you can get cash from, so use one POI for ATM's rather than 23 for all the different bank types - same applies to fuel - etc. - hope this helps, but let us know what device it is - check the box front and look for "Third Edition" or One V3 - Mike
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The database on here comes with the camera icons (bmp files) and the ov2 database files, the ogg voice files can be downloaded from another part of this site.

The google map is the cameras you will find in the database, plus it shows removed cameras.

As far as I am aware, there is still a 100 POi limit, so yes, you will have trouble with the database. why have you got so many? are they all McDonalds, Tesco's, etc, do you need them all? Do you use "Mapshare" on your TomTom, if you do, apparently, the updated map info is downloaded as an ov2 file, so evert time you update you are reducing your spare POi's. The camers database comes in 3 flavors,Laughing Out Loud, the single file, 1 ov2 file, consolidated, about 5 ov2 files, and speed zoned, about 26 ov2 files, so if you are pushed for space you could use the single file.

If you haven't done so already, do a FULL WINDOWS EXPLORER backup. Look here, number 1, how to do it, plus some other info, including voice(ogg) files.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=50045
TTOV3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Mike

thanks for the prompt reply. regarding the edition type i have, i'm now confused,

the site i used to compare models tell me its a V3 - http://www.find-satnav-deals.co.uk/difference-between-tomtom-one-v2-and-v3
the site i used to buy also tell me its a V3 - http://www.thelink.co.uk/hi-tech/145863/tomtom-one-gb-v3-gps.html
but on the box received and as indeed on tomtoms own website - they only acknowledge they do a "TT1 3rd edition"

perhaps i need to change my nick now ;[

ok so i can get and add the .ogg files independently myself after getting the cams dbase thru subscription, that's cool

the cams near me were on the google map on this site so that's why i asked if that was like a visual representation of your dbase, which as i use it more, the sure i am it likely is and how less reliable tomtoms info is.

with the issue around soft versions and max allowed poi's they sure don't make it any easier for us do they - like you say now with mapshare that could tot you up pretty quick, but thanks to your explanation i now realise i can get my 97 down to quite just a few by the "Combine Subcats" option, dunno why i couldn't quite figure that when i downloaded them originally that that's what it would do, guess we just have to put that down to "newb" experience ;]

does that also mean that they will appear in my poi as a group "Supermarkets" like the tomtom preinstalled appear, or would i still get a list on my poi screen like - aldi, asda, budgens ?

ahh just got down now to the bit where you tell me to look at the box [which i did] so i guess we can deffo settle for 3rd edition, glad i didn't end up with a 3 year old device with version 3 soft on it - stupid suppliers Laughing Out Loud

thanks

TTOV3...or should that be...TTO3rdE
TTOV3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanda

thanks also for your reply - i refreshed my page about 3pm and saw Mike response and based my reply around that, i dint see your until i posted and it refreshed the page again, but it is gladly welcomed, even more good knowledge gleaned and information learned

the pois as you say were all loose and i will redo them as combine subcats now i understand that bit

with regards to the camera dbase flavours - 1 file would seem simpler, but would i have more trouble assigning specific voice commands gatso 30, 40, 50 etc if i don't chose the 26 separates ?

regards

TTOV3...
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afaik there is NO V3.

V2 was first of the slim/silver Ones. V4 was the one with the improved chipset and the 3rd Edition is the latest with v705 mapping & no SD slot/bluetooth etc.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have split this thread from the original location as things were getting a tad confusing between this and the OP

So you have a One Third Edition, if that is what it says on the box - this device uses internal flash memory and has no SD memory card slot on the underside?

As for a choice of Speed Camera Database the choice is really down to what you want from the unit, if a single file is installed it will inform you of a possible camera location which could be a fixed, specs, temp, red light or mobile (maned or vacant).
Consolidated by type offers the breakdown by camera type so at least you get a warning of the type, the best in my opinion (as it offers the most advice) is speed zoned. This does take a while to set-up, less than 5 minutes with practice but you only set it up once, any speed camera updates simply refresh the data - the warnings remain set the way they were. A Speed Camera update can be accomplished in seconds.

As for the previous post to this which states there never was a V3 device I have to differ, the V2 never existed in production - if oyu plugged one of them into a PC it was reported as a V3 device, it was again poor choice of device numbering which has been further compounded by the V3, V4, V5 and now "Third Edition" (V5 is the One XL IIRC) - Mike
TTOV3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

the split is fine - np - i originally replied in the other one as what was mentioned in it affected/interested me, also wasn't sure if as a newb i would have got into trouble for starting another thread about the same matter. i thought jonf had finished with his enquiry but see that also came back to life at the time mine did so can understand where confusion would occur

yep mine is 3rd edition with no mem slot - i didn't know this at the time because on that sat-nav comparison site they indicate its got a slot, its just empty - bullet point 2 of "what's the difference"

that kinda peed me off when it arrived because i am now left wondering what i can expand its uses to in the future, should i ever want to travel further afield/abroad, not having the added benefit of being able to plug in a 1gb sd card - would i get all of europe or america maps on my wee 512mb internal ?

sorry one last thing i would still like to clear up ;

POI - "Combine Subcats" option, does that also mean they will appear in my poi as a group "Supermarkets" like the tomtom preinstalled appear, or would i still get a list on my poi screen like - aldi, asda, budgens ?

once again many thanks

TTOV3...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about starting threads we are quite used to it, and yours was/ is not a regular question to be honest, the Third Edition device is only starting out in life at the moment.

You will not get the whole of Europe or USA on the 512MB internal memory, you will need to use the individual country maps, I am not too sure about USA maps on this unit though as they appear to be only a single seamless map these days which would be too large to go on the internal memory, eitherway you would have to remove the UK map prior to installing any other map on the unit. This is easy as it can be copied to the PC and back again when required.

As for the POI Combine function, if you combine all the supermarkets you will get a single POI file so all locations will display the same icon on screen, if you select a nav to or find POI request to the device the list will contain the shop brand/ owner within the list so you could still select a Morrisons or Asda using this method - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: