Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How accurate?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How accurate?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: How accurate? Reply with quote

Having previously downloaded poi from this site one question I wanted to ask was just how accurate the new ones are? After installing BP garages on my tomtom one new edition I found them to be not a million miles away, but no where near as accurate as the speed cameras for example - some of them in the middle of rivers and on motorway slip roads! this is not a moan by the way - just an obvservation! the Shell garages where spot on as where the WiFi. I subscribed to your speed camera database which is excellent - talking of which I reported a new camera and waited to see if I had got my lifetimes subscription - "apparently" I wasnt the first - even though I live near this camera and reported it as soon as they started digging the hole for it!! - Anyone who has been rewarded for being the first to spot one - I take my hat off to you!!

Keep up the good work

Tomtom One
App 8.010 (9369/080529) OS:190943
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
United Kingdom and Replublic of Ireland v885.4058
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
apparently" I wasnt the first - even though I live near this camera and reported it as soon as they started digging the hole for it!!
Maybe it hasn't been verified yet.

Quote:
Anyone who has been rewarded for being the first to spot one - I take my hat off to you!!
Thumbs Up :D
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyhazy,

we count on you to help improving the POI accuracy. With your local knowledge you can right the location, name, phone etc. of the POIs near you by submitting a change request for an existing POI. The process is described on the submission page.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How accurate? Reply with quote

crazyhazy wrote:
but no where near as accurate as the speed cameras for example - some of them in the middle of rivers and on motorway slip roads!

Please report the location of those POI that are so obviously wrong and they can be removed.

It is better to have a POI placed at the junction of the motorway and the the slip road into the service area as the warning that you will receive from your SatNav will give you a better chance of using the slip road. A lot of service areas are very large, so large that if the POI is placed on the actual location of the POI then you may have passed the turning into the area before you receive a warning.

Also for stores on large retail parks please position the POI on the road that leads into the retail park not on the store itself.

Richard
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, I will submit as much information to this site as I possibly can as it as helped me a lot and if I can help others then I will. One thing though the BP garage I mentioned before that was showing on the motorway slip road - its proper location was 200 yards up the main road - its not on the motorway - nor is it a service station! It's nowhere near the motorway but thats where it was showing on the satnav
Thanks

Tomtom One
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
elyl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect many of the POIs that are inaccurate were derived using geocoding - i.e. the actual physical location of them wasn't verified, it was just "worked out" by using the address/postcode registered for the POI. As there is no entirely accurate way to derive GPS location from a postcode, that's why some of the POIs are a bit off.

Personally, I prefer to have an inaccurate POI that shows me the general area of what I'm looking for, rather than no POI at all, even if it is frustrating.
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree entirely

Tomtom One
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
dkondrat
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm totally agree with you on BP petrol station's positions. They are always at least few hundred yards away from their position on the map and we are talking not about one or two BP stations but ALL of them.
dkondrat
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How accurate? Reply with quote

crazyhazy wrote:
I reported a new camera and waited to see if I had got my lifetimes subscription - "apparently" I wasnt the first - even though I live near this camera and reported it as soon as they started digging the hole for it!! - Anyone who has been rewarded for being the first to spot one - I take my hat off to you!!

Well m8, if u can be charged 2 pounds per month what is the point for the site owners not to do so? They always can say "you were not the first" and there is no way you can check it.

I reported one removed camera and next day it was removed from database, but again apparently I wasn't first one Smile

I no longer belive in lifetime subscription but rather in "pool membership" when few people get annual subscription for few quid.
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not having a go at the person who submitted the BP poi - some of the others where miles out as well - nor am I having a go at the person who posted the earlier reply saying its better to have an inaccurate poi that gives you the general area than no poi at all even if it is frustrating!! Surely that depends on what you as an individual class as frustrating - if you had followed the example I used earlier which showed a BP station on the motorway slip road - by the time you had realised it was not right it would have been too late and you would have to take the motorway! The next junction is 6 miles away!! no good if ur running on fumes!!! Better not put some of them on at all I think - dont you agree? Bearing in mind some people who own a satnav have no navigational skills at all and rely on it 100%

Tomtom One
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyhazy wrote:
If you had followed the example I used earlier which showed a BP station on the motorway slip road - by the time you had realised it was not right it would have been too late and you would have to take the motorway! The next junction is 6 miles away!! no good if ur running on fumes!!!
Annoying & frustrating, I agree, but, I'd like to hope, an extreme example, which I'm sure you've now corrected!
dkondrat wrote:
They are always at least few hundred yards away from their position on the map and we are talking not about one or two BP stations but ALL of them.
No matter how bad your navigation skills are you should be able to find it yourself from that distance! Laughing

I think you'll find that this POI file has not been created by the Team members visiting every BP station in the UK, but has, in fact, been from the postcodes. I think we know how wide an area a single postcode can cover. The idea is that this is a community effort, WE (members, subscribers, users, ...) adjust the locations of the POIs that we visit. That way, when a stranger visits our area, they'll find the POIs are accurate, and, lo and behold, when we visit a strange area, we'll also find the local POIs accurate!

If you find the POIs too inaccurate, don't use them, but create your own!
Merry Xmas

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: