Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A few questions regarding speed camera info and voices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A few questions regarding speed camera info and voices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blizeH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: A few questions regarding speed camera info and voices Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Picked up my TomTom One today, very impressed so far, even if it can't find my street to set as the home address! :P

So anyway, I've got a zip file here with the speed camera information; lots of .bmp and .ov2 files. I've also got another zip file here with all of the voices for the speed cameras; more .bmp files, and lots of .vif and .chk files. (huge thanks to chuf!)

Where exactly do I put all of these? Also, to save me from having to use a 2GB card (all of the info I've got comes to less than 100mb atm, so 2GB would be very wasteful I think?) are there any files I can delete? Foreign maps, voices etc?

On a final note, where can I download the latest maps from? There's a bypass that's been up for around 4/5 months now and when I went along there the TomTom completely spazzed out, didn't like it much at all! :-)

Huge thanks!

p.s. it's a long shot, but I don't suppose you can get Sega Rally-esque voices on your sat nav? That'd be ace. :-) Or any other decent voices for that matter, the ones that are currently on there sound awfully robotic. Thanks again
blizeH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone, please?
blizeH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*** PLEASE IGNORE EVERYTHING I'VE SAID UP UNTIL NOW! :-) ***

I've made some progress, got the pocketgpsworld camera information etc there and added some voices that a friend gave to me although they're all completely unrelated to camera warnings.

I'm trying to add the alerts as per http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-poi-alerts.php but it doesn't seem to mention the installation procedure for the TomTom One at all, and I'm running on App 6.501 which seems a lot newer than the version talked about in the guide.

Any idea how I can transfer those files across to my TomTom One to get audio alerts for camers etc please?

Thanks!
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blizeH wrote:
*** PLEASE IGNORE EVERYTHING I'VE SAID UP UNTIL NOW! :-) ***

I've made some progress, got the pocketgpsworld camera information etc there and added some voices that a friend gave to me although they're all completely unrelated to camera warnings.

I'm trying to add the alerts as per http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-poi-alerts.php but it doesn't seem to mention the installation procedure for the TomTom One at all, and I'm running on App 6.501 which seems a lot newer than the version talked about in the guide.

Any idea how I can transfer those files across to my TomTom One to get audio alerts for camers etc please?

Thanks!
Have a look at the "new method", you should find that a lot easier.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
blizeH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh excellent, thank you!

So let's just say for example I've got a file called pocketgps_uk_gatso.ov2 - I just rename the relevant ogg to pocketgps_uk_gatso.ogg?

A couple more (hopefully quick!) questions:

1) Is there anyway to see what voices you have on the card and delete them using proper software? At the moment I've somehow got 80mb+ of voices and I only want a few (a couple of 'proper' ones and one or two novelty voices too).

2) Is there anyway to get an updated UK map?

Thanks again!
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the way to do the voices.

Voices are the numbered "data**.chk" and associated .vif file. Remove the pair. If you open the .vif file it tells you which is the linked data**.chk file (or is it the other way around? Embarassed Embarassed )

Maps can only be purchased as a download from www.tomtom.co.uk BUT they may still be a couple of years or more behind.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should read www.tomtom.com - unless you like cigars...
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
blizeH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge thanks for the replies! :-) I'm just wondering about the voices more if there's anyway to find out what it is from the PC? Otherwise it's going to be a case of trial and error and a /hell/ of a lot of turning my TomTom on and off! :-)

Think I'll give the maps a miss too, huge shame fully updated ones aren't available for free but I guess it's nor a problem, I don't think what I have atm is /too/ out dated anyway! :D
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To go back to your previous post, blizeH, you said:
Quote:
So let's just say for example I've got a file called pocketgps_uk_gatso.ov2 - I just rename the relevant ogg to pocketgps_uk_gatso.ogg?

That IS strictly correct, but just to double check you realise... if you want to have the voice alerts telling you the speed limits you won't actually be using that ov2 file you mentioned.
You'll be using:
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30
pocketgps_uk_gatso_40
pocketgps_uk_gatso_50
pocketgps_uk_gatso_60
pocketgps_uk_gatso_70
pocketgps_uk_gatso_tba
pocketgps_uk_gatso_var
pocketgps_uk_mobile_20
pocketgps_uk_mobile_30
pocketgps_uk_mobile_40
pocketgps_uk_mobile_50
pocketgps_uk_mobile_60
pocketgps_uk_mobile_70
pocketgps_uk_mobile_tba
pocketgps_uk_redlight
pocketgps_uk_specs_20
pocketgps_uk_specs_30
pocketgps_uk_specs_40
pocketgps_uk_specs_50
pocketgps_uk_specs_60
pocketgps_uk_specs_70
pocketgps_uk_specs_tba
pocketgps_uk_temp

The usual sources of .ogg files SO FAR don't have a full set of files for all the speeds. You have to use the generic "Warning Gatso" for the missing ones (making several copies and renaming each one as appropriate)..
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Where did my voices go! Reply with quote

Hi after connecting to Tom Tom Home and downloading latest post code file and then connecting to my One through the computer and Home and going to Warn when near POI screen It gave the beeps and bongs instead of the voices After disconnecting the One would only give the beeps and bongs!
All the files are still their and the data.chk file I nuked out and reinstalled. but no joy Sad
I have version 6.520 Euro Maps version 6.6 data.chk version 7690
and speed camera data version 4115
Normally I do my data updates through my card reader as drag and drop only use Home for Tom Tom own downloads.
Am I going wrong somewhere along the line!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postcode file?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which method of voice warning are you trying to use and please confirm the type of camera database you are using, single file, consolodated or speed zoned. Some basic questions then we can get you up and running, please don't modify anything else as yet, this will potentially complicate matters - Mike
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
After downloading Postal code file for UK tele atlas and the Netherlands postal code file from Tom Tom Home. Is when I lost the voices!

I'm using the 23 zoned camera data base and the voices that came with the Lutz! database.
These have been up and running fine untill I went into Tom Tom Home. As I said before I normaly drag and drop any new releases of the speed cameras from the card reader. I havn't realy trusted the Tom Tom Home way of doing things Except to download the latest maps. Ever since a back done in Home wouldn't work. I now Drag and drop into a new file on desktop to back up and even a back up onto DVD is fine in reverse.

Appreciate the interest and hope this can be sorted
Regards dunk
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to Mike for his advise in getting me up and running again.
It takes me a little time to get there but with all the help and understanding you guys out there give in these forums it is worth the subscription fees alone aside from getting the speed camera data to boot!
With Respect!
dunk

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: