Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - UK motorway junctions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

UK motorway junctions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeta1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: UK motorway junctions Reply with quote

anyone know if it's possible to search for a motorway junctions. I know in other navigation software its possible to enter, for example "M6 J19", and that will put the junction on the screen, which then allows easy convertion to POI or waypoint. I find the 'browse map' function a bit awkward to use for this.
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: UK motorway junctions Reply with quote

jeta1 wrote:
anyone know if it's possible to search for a motorway junctions. I know in other navigation software its possible to enter, for example "M6 J19", and that will put the junction on the screen, which then allows easy convertion to POI or waypoint. I find the 'browse map' function a bit awkward to use for this.

I wouldn't think so, it would probably think it's a postcode, rather than a m/way junction, as in M42 J12
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to Lowlander's website, http://www.dirksoft.co.uk/ and download his Poi compendium you will find a MWay.ov2 that lists all the Motorway Junctions and designates the exit directions. Also covers A(M) roads.

It was written for a recovery truck driver, so that he could access a Motorway between any 2 junctions to arrive on the correct carriageway.

It can be used for Navigate Via .. or Avoid routing.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this forward.... although it is really about SEARCHING.

I recently decided that my download of the MWay Junctions POI was corrupted, so I've just downloaded it again, and I think I've discovered that there was nothing wrong with it but that there are some oddities with the way my TomTom handles the searching of POIs.
I'm guessing that this is normal but I've just never noticed it before, or is it something that has been improved in later models/software versions (I'm on App 5.440, Boot 3.32).

Basically... (and bear with me here), the MWay Junctions POI list should include 2 entries for each junction (North and South or East and West etc.) for every motorway.

If I go to Browse Map and Search POI, what I'm seeing is:
First screen: just the first 100 entries nearest to whatever the Go thinks is my present location. I think I knew that...

But then, if I tap the keyboard icon and start typing, (for example "M8") all I get on screen is one entry "M8 2W"
If I then keep typing to give "M8 2", I still only see "M8 2W"
It's only if I actually type "M8 2E" that the entry for the eastbound POI appears on screen.

All this makes me keep thinking that entries are missing.
Shouldn't the search show everything relevant as you type, narrowing the choices as you add more detail?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
All this makes me keep thinking that entries are missing.
Shouldn't the search show everything relevant as you type, narrowing the choices as you add more detail?

Re-compiled the data again today, to see if I had done something different.

Still works the same.Confused

What I did find was that the further you are away from the POI you're looking for, the fewer choices are displayed.

There seems to be cut-off points; a combination of distance and number of locations.

When inputting search criteria it will only show say 24 if the furthest is less than a certain mileage.

As the mileage gets higher the number that can be shown seems to decrease. But not in a logical manner.

If I input "M4 " I only get M4 1,2,3 and 4E. 4E is 78.0 miles from me. 4W is not listed but is 78.5 miles!

If I input "M4 1" I get M4 1, 10E, 10W, 11E and 11W. 11W is 99.4 miles away, M4 12E is 101 miles.

It would seem that the less you input the more choices you get. You might well think that there are no M4 J5 - 9. Confusing and confused.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:

Still works the same.Confused

Sorry, Oldboy, I wasn't saying there is anything wrong with your POIs, just that there is something very wierd about TomTom's search logic, which had me confudled....
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
something very wierd about TomTom's search logic,

You're certainly right there.Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: