Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sat Nav won't work in New York
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sat Nav won't work in New York

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adrian_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Sat Nav won't work in New York Reply with quote

A friend of mine has purchased a Dell Axim X50v and also bought the bluetooth and Navteq sat nav maps for Europe and the USA with it.

I have seen it work and it works fine in the UK.

He has gone on holiday and I loaded the USA maps for him before he left. I got a call saying it doesn't work over there.

He went to a mobile shop to get a USA sim card and a guy behind the counter said that the Navteq would not work in America because 'aparently' you have to subscribe to have the PDA pick up the satalites. That sounds like a load of bull to me.

Can anyone confirm why his PDA will not pick up satalites in New York?

Thank you in advance

Adrian
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Sat Nav won't work in New York Reply with quote

Adrian_uk wrote:

He went to a mobile shop to get a USA sim card and a guy behind the counter said that the Navteq would not work in America because 'aparently' you have to subscribe to have the PDA pick up the satalites. That sounds like a load of bull to me.

It is.

There is no reason that it does not work.
He probably has very little experience in using it.

Having been used in UK before, the GPS will take some time to acquire lock for the first time over there. He probably did not spend long enough time and just thounght that it did not work.

Tell him to be patient initially, let the GPS acquire the first lock in the open. It can take as long as 30 minutes but usually 3-5 is sufficient.
Adrian_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Forgot to mention - Sorry Reply with quote

Hi. thanks for the speedy reply.

He told me that he left it on for 15 mins.

I told him to make sure he left his bluetooth in a totally open area (somewhere like Central Park) for about 30 mins.

I haven't heard back from him yet. I'll post a reply to this when I do though.

Meanwhile, here is a problem I have......................... Please can you help me. I have also posted this in the Navteq section on this webs forum but if I post it here as well someone might be able to help.

Hi everyone.

I am a total beginer with GPS and Sat Navs. If you have the answer to the following questions please do explain it to me as you would a 2 year old!!!!!

I have a Dell Axim X50v and I have Navteq installed on my PDA for the route planner/navigator.

What I would like to do is to add some points of interests (particularly some POI's from the list I've seen in the other section of this webs forum - Asda's Ikea's etc)

I would also like to add some sort of speed camera detector - or more to the point, something that will tell me that in 300 yards there is a camera.

Is this possible using Navteq?

I am using version A02 3667UK if that is any help!!!!!!

Cheers
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, Navteq is a map provider. What you are talking about is Netropa.

And no, it is not possible to record or use custom POIs with Netropa.

As for the GPS receiver - areas like New York City mandate a SiRF III receiver - everything else will not work due to the excessive urban canyons.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: