Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - observation about upgrades / reviews of ttn5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

observation about upgrades / reviews of ttn5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: observation about upgrades / reviews of ttn5 Reply with quote

I guess some people on this forum won't have experienced the joy of upgrading tomtom products in the past.

those that have have often enjoyed a less than fantastic service as the servers get overloaded and the website crashes and orders then have been left in the "warehouse" for days or weeks without despatch.

So a question for Tomtom - why can't we order now for a delivery once its done and ready? This would help them measure demand and get enough cd's pressed. As only the maps have to come on cd, the application could be a simple download this shouldn't be a problem.
Looking at the companies turnover they are now 5 times (by sales volume) bigger than they were in 2003/2004 and I just hope they can deliver this product when it is eventually available.

Of all the things to be completed and bug checked surely they know how much they will charge.

One question for pocketgpsworld.com and the REVIEW of ttn5 dated 14th March with a score of 97.5% . There has recently been mention of a serious bug in the routing which is holding the final version up - was this not in the reviewed version - it is not listed in the problems section - If the product scored so highly 10 weeks ago why oh why is it not available?

I am very grateful of the reviews and advice on this site but reviews of products which then aren't available to buy nearly 3 months leter looks like you jumped the gun.

Perhaps it should have been called a preview not a review.

Ian
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did not say it's aserious bug. In fact it's rather a minor annoyance, and TomTom must be lauded for fixing it anyhow.

From what I can see now the review still holds true. Given all its constraints (like feature reduction from 3.07, no house number accuracy etc.) I still think TomTom is the market leader because they have a very good product.

On the other hand you are right - the upgrade process is catastrophic and not worthy a company of that size. Intriguingly exactly the same currently happens with Navigon and MN|5

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Last edited by lbendlin on Mon May 23, 2005 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
We did not say it's aserious bug. In fact it's rather a minor annoyance, and TomTom must be lauded for fixing it anyhow.

From what I can see now the review still holds true. Given all its constraints (like feature reduction from 3.07, no house number accuracy etc.) I still think TomTom is the market leader because they have a very good product.

Hi Lutz

Given that - why no product to buy 10 weeks after the review was published? Could it be pda versions will be getting a newer map set than the rest (yes I am joking) - any idea when the maps for the Go etc were signed off/

Also I hadn't realised about the house numbers - have they removed them completely - this sounds insane?

Ian
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iancjc wrote:
Also I hadn't realised about the house numbers - have they removed them completely - this sounds insane?

Ian

No, i was referring to the accuracy of house numbers. TomTom never had that - they are always estimating.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: