Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Editing POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Editing POIs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikethelaserman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Editing POIs Reply with quote

Hello

I have just got V2.5 and loaded the 2.5.2 update. Its my first navigation software and I'm mighty impressed.

I followed the instructions elsewhere on this forum and loaded in the UK camera database as POIs, which works fine.
I was not happy with two of the icons I had made and tried to change them. On both the PC and Palm, the Edit/POI thing refuses to "suppress" or "modify" the POIs - the boxes are just greyed out. Is this a general fault or am I doing something silly?

Another minor annoyance is that since loading Mapsonic to the Palm (T2, 256Mb SD), after every hotsync (whether including Mapsonic stuff or not) I have to reset the Palm. Is this normal?

Finally, why does the Voice have to have an american accent? - I'd much prefer a French accent or even plain English English.
elan2s
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly the only way to change the icon is to delete (supress) the category all together and then re-add it with the new icon

On the reseting issue. I had this for a short time but it seems to have gone away. Have you downloaded the 2.5.2 update from the website? It may help but I can't be certain
mikethelaserman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just re-installed the whole lot but I still cannot get the edit/suppress/modify function to work on the POI categories. Duh!

At least with the reinstall my awful icons have gone.
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you import POI's onto the Palm using POI manager they are 'read only' from the Palm, so you cannot edit/suppress them.

You can easily delete them using free utility filez the pois are stored as *.PI in internal memory, ie if I added UK_GATSO as a POI type using POI manager you can delete this file on the palm, and when you next enter mapsonic it will be gone.

You can also just use POImanager to create a new POI file with same name (but a different icon), and this will overwrite the original with the new.

Once you have mucked about with this briefly, it is easy to manage these.

One thing I have noticed is that the minimum size for a POI file seems to be 25Kb, so if you only have a few POIs, then you can save some memory by importing these as a POI, then replace each of them with an 'internal' POI on the palm, selecting the bitmap on card as the icon, this will save 25Kb of internal memory for each type of POI.

Obviously the speed camera lists are much bigger than 25k so this only applies to short lists of a few POI's.
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, error in above the files are stored as *.POI (not .PI) on internal memory.

ie I have the following on mine (I use POI as a prefix on all filenames so they list together):

POI_GATSO.POI 231k
POI_MOBILE.PI 99k
POI_REDLIGHT.POI 63k
POI_SPECS.POI 25k
POI_TEMP.POI 25k
PPOIS.PI 9.6k - this is the file containing all internal POI's

If your POI file is 25k then it probably is stuck on this minimum file size, so it is worth considering copying these POI's into new internal types if you want to save memory.

Regarding the hotsync probs, the only hotsync problem I have with MapSonic is I sync to two PCs (work and home), and each time I first sync with each I get a hotsync error in the logfile (one of ytwo codes, either FFFF or something else), but the sync works fine, and I don't have to reset palm ever.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: