Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - what is the differece between classic XL and tomtom one XL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

what is the differece between classic XL and tomtom one XL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joeann90
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: what is the differece between classic XL and tomtom one XL Reply with quote

Very Happy hi,

Can anyone tell me the difference between the tomtom XL classic, and the tomtom one XL Confused apart from the fact they come in different colour boxes, is it the maps , or software on them that is the difference between them Confused its just that the classic XL is on sale in argos for £129.99, and just wanted to know what the main differences between them were Very Happy
thanks for any help Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest difference for me is that there is no SD ard slot on the new model (so you are stuck with just the ammount of internal memory they provide. In other words you cannot buy a "Regional" version and then put full Europe mapping on later, which you CAN do if you have an SD card slot.

The new model has the new "Easyport" mount semi-permanently attached to the back.

The new model will come with v8 software and maps, which have not been released for the old one yet (but it's probably only a matter of weeks). The old version can be updated to the latest dated mapping (v720 - which is the same as the v8 maps) for free anyway, using the Latest Map Guarantee. All you would be missing is the Advanced Lane Guidance feature from v8.

The old model has Bluetooth for data services like Traffic, the new one doesn't.

Quote:
... the difference between the tomtom XL classic, and the tomtom one XL

To be honest I thought the names were the other way round... the old one was the "TomTom ONE XL" (now presumably called the "Classic" and the new one is just called the "TomTom XL".
be very careful, especially in places like PC World, where they won't be particularly aware of the differences.

You can make a reasonable comparison between them on the TT website - click on the model and then select "Functionalities" and "technical specs".
joeann90
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: what is the differece between classic XL and tomtom one XL Reply with quote

Very Happy thanks for reply ,but what i mean is the difference between the two old XL models, one is called XL classic, and another comes in a yellow box and is called ONE XL, they both have the same tomtom mounts,i know the latest model has the easy port mount, but are the classic XL and the ONE XL the same ,except in different colour boxes, Confused has anyone who has purchased a classic XL out there who can say what the difference is between the one in the yellow box,called ONE XL Very Happy thanks,
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a yellow box with with TomTom One XL written on it, inside is a Classic One XL with the application and regional (UK & ROI) maps stored on an SD card fitted in the device - it is not the new One XL with the Easy Port mount - Mike
bensonboo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the two different models are the yellow and blue boxed ones? the yellow is as described by mikealder and the blue one has Europe too. The blue box I'm looking at has TomTom One XL Europe written on it.
Again, this is the 'old' style XL with the SD slot.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the difference is the colour of the box? Confused

But the classic model and the one xl both come in boxes that can be several different colours?

And what it says on the box isn't what it contains?

No wonder the OP is confused!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also the issue that the One XL has been supplied with and without internal Flash Memory, some devices have this and no SD card (although there is a vacant slot), others have no internal Flash and everything is on the SD card.
To further "muddy" the waters the One XLS which is only available in the USA has Text To Speech, this is something I would like to see introduced to the European units but I doubt it will happen TBH - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case then, I suspect that a box labelled "One XL" is older stock, and a box labelled "One XL Classic" is one that came out of the factory after the new "XL" had been launched (in the same way that the original "Go" only started being called the "Go Classic" after a new lot of Go models had been launched).

If you can get to see the Model number on the botom, these are a few that have been used:
TomTom One XL (regional, with no flash memory) Supplied with UK and Eire on a 240MB SD card: 4S00.006
TomTom One XL (regional, with 512mb built-in memory. GB map installed): 4S00.007
TomTom One XL (Europe): 4S00.000
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed the ONE XL Classic being advertised at a reduced price and I did a Google and I'm also confused.

Some of the adverts are stating that their ONE XL Classic has the EasyPort mount !
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think retailers and consumers are confused by the different types of TomTom One available, at the last count there have been eight different version released and sub groups within each version released to further confuse people:

V1, Original One SD Card Only
V3, One second edition SD Card Only
V4, One new edition Flash memory AND SD card slot
V5, One XL classic (512MB Flash, or 1GB Flash or SD Only)
V6, One Third Edition European (1GB Flash NO SD)
V7, One Third Edition Regional (512MB Flash NO SD)

V8, One with Easy Port Mount
V9, One XL with Easy Port Mount

I have started to write up a guide to the "Which One have I got" including pictures of each type, but as I don't have a table full of different One devices getting the pictures isn’t too easy, the ones in Blue above are covered, if anyone reading this owns the ones in Black could they contact me via E-mail or PM so I can show you they type of pictures needed - Mike
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: what is the differece between classic XL and tomtom one Reply with quote

joeann90 wrote:
Very Happy hi,

Can anyone tell me the difference between the tomtom XL classic, and the tomtom one XL Confused apart from the fact they come in different colour boxes, is it the maps , or software on them that is the difference between them Confused its just that the classic XL is on sale in argos for £129.99, and just wanted to know what the main differences between them were Very Happy
thanks for any help Smile

There is NO difference. Just rebadged to shift old stock.

See TomTom GB/Earlier Models here:
http://www.find-tomtom-deals.co.uk/

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: