Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anyone taken apart an i3?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone taken apart an i3?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few pictures of what to expect when inside the device, I have just taken these and I did use a T6 Torx bit from the set shown in the last picture (its not a cheap set, but could be incorrectly marked I guess, or the i3 I have is from an earlier batch prior to them changing the build/ design)

If the connector has disappeared inside the device take a close look at the solder tab connections holding the socket to the PCB, they have probably sheered off.

Best of luck but the i3 does come apart very easily compared to certain other devices (I broke my nails on the Nuvi and still have not seen the inside) - Mike
welshgasman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Mike and Oddsocks, I'm off to get a torx set.

Thanks again.

I'll let you know how I get on
welshgasman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to Maplins and found a T6 bit that fitted fine. Bought the screwdrivers around that size. Now to take it apart.

Thanks Mike and Oddsocks for your help.

BTW for anyone thinking of putting an i3 on their motorbike (which I am considering), Maplins are selling a small transparent plastic box with clip on lids that fits it almost perfectly, so you can use the buttons from outside. price £1.00
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshgasman wrote:
BTW for anyone thinking of putting an i3 on their motorbike (which I am considering), Maplins are selling a small transparent plastic box with clip on lids that fits it almost perfectly, so you can use the buttons from outside. price £1.00

A sandwich bag is cheaper still! ;)
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are doing this then it might be worth trying to get some of those "Air Desiccator" bags you get packaged with electrical equipment. I'd hate to see the condensation after a long journey in a sandwich bag.
welshgasman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my neighbours i3 is well stuffed. The USB socket is almost rectangular and has sheared off the board, so the pins are stuffed as well.

It woudl appear his sone did not take not of the orientation of the plug and socket and just tried brute force.

On a good note, I took mine apart and with the help of my uncle added a new connector to the speaker, the other side of the connector is wired to a socket built into the box (can't do that with a sandwich bag :-) ), so all I have to do is plug the 3.5mm lead into the socket on the box.

If it becomes necessary to remove the i3 from the box, I just need to unclip the intermediate lead and its out.

Now to test it next week.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick word of caution - make sure you turn the volume down to the minimum BEFORE you conect the headset to the new i3 audio output - the amplifier on board is designed to power a speaker so it will have way too much power for a simple headphone

The one with the sheered connector should be possible to fix - but it needs a very steady hand to re-solder the connector in position - Mike
welshgasman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Already tested it with a set of ear phones and it appears fine.

Re the sheared unit, whilst it might be possible to solder the disfigured usb connector back to the board, the data pins appear to be broken.

I've told them they can still use it with batteries . When they decide to bin it, I'll have some spares . :-)
Is there anyway I can update the maps for them, as they have one with a TF card in the slot. ?

TIA
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshgasman wrote:
Re the sheared unit, whilst it might be possible to solder the disfigured usb connector back to the board, the data pins appear to be broken.
For £1:29 you could purchase a new socket from Here

As for updating maps you could contact Garmin and purchase the latest map pack for the device (V9) - Mike
Tynan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a couple of blokes on ebay selling 1Gb transflash cards loaded with any country you want, Uk is about £11, UK plus France is £25

and so on

apparently
welshgasman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

That link appears to show full size USB connectors, not the mini usb connector, though I dare say Maplin might sell them. I will invetigate next week.

As for paying anything more for the unit, they feel the money would be better invested in a new unit.
welshgasman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tynan,

Thanks for the info. I *thought* there was a problem with swapping the card for your unit. I read several threads a good while back when I bought my 1gb card which I found out I could not use on my main unit. I now use that for the second unit which I have mentioned which I am converting for a motorbike.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another option to pick from in way of connectors - even better they are slightly cheaper - Mike
welshgasman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks Mike.

The soldering is beyond my expertise. I'd need a soldering iron the size of a pinhead to be able to solder them.

Tested my i3 in the box with helmet tonight and it works find, albeit only on one channel, but that it fine for what I need it for.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: