Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Go 5 inch Premium
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Go 5 inch Premium

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Go 5 inch Premium Reply with quote

Hi. I have a new Tom Tom go premium ( as tom tom said they would not update the maps on my older Go910) and it has been such a long time since i put the speed cameras onto my old Go 910 , that i have forgotten how to do it. Please can you point me to any info on how to install them onto my new Go Premium or to any videos that show how to put the speed cameras on there.
Many thanks
Jimmymerlin
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They won't "Go". TomTom removed the facility to be able to import meaningful user POIs ages ago.
Keep your "older Go910" going, return the new one as not fit for purpose and buy a Garmin.

Just as an aside, you are concerned about road changes? But speed camera locations change far more frequently than road layouts.
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Go 5 inch Premium Reply with quote

When i bought the Go , I asked if it would accept 3rd part POI's nd Tom tom said it would . Are you saying that it wont accept the Pocket world speed cameras update and then work properly ????? Thanks. Jimmymerlin
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you mean exactly by "work properly".
TomTom's interpretation is that you can navigate to a POI without being warned about it.
Speed camera database: You would not normally navigate to a speed camera, but you would rather be warned about it whilst approaching.

TomToms latest 'incarnation' allows you to do the former, but prevents the latter (except, of course, for TT's own speed cam database).
So their latest incarnations are about as much use as tits on a bull for third party speed cameras.

Garmin, however still allow speed camera type warnings to be used and loaded as third party (PGPSW) databases (as well as their own Cyclops database).
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Go 5 inch Premium Reply with quote

So, in a nutshell, the Pocket GPS speed camera downloads , that i used to use to warn me when i was approaching a speed camera , or mobile speed camera or camera on traffic lights, will not work on my new TOM TOM go like they used to on my Go 910 ?
Im pretty sure thats what you are telling me, which is a huge pain in the backside really !!!!!
Ive had the new tom tom about 3 months now, so dont think they would refund me now ! Cheers Jimmymerlin
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct.

Tomtom are fully aware what you mean but they deliberately pedantically quote POI as a point of interest that you enter and navigate to. They are not wrong in what they say but are playing politicians in not answering the question you asked.

Speed cameras require the advance proximity notification facility that they discontinued and must have lost sales.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Go 5 inch Premium Reply with quote

Thank you for ll of the info guys. I must admit i am gutted to find out I cant use your speed camera database anymore as it was much better than the warnings i used to get on my old device. I have just sent a letter of complaint off to tom tom saying that the new device does not do what i specifically asked them to do and said it is not fit for purpose and have asked for a refund ....... but as its approx 3 months old now, although only used once due to lockdown, i doubt very much if they will give me a refund. In the highly unlikely event that they do give me a refund, what was the Garmin device you recommended and apart from thee speed cameras, would it be as good as the new tom tom go premium ..................just in case i can change my device !!!!
Cheers
Jimmymerlin
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a smartphone and a car audio unit that allows pairing then you can still use the PGPSW database via CamerAlert or SpeedTrap Alert.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: