Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera Alert crashing on opening on mini ipad4 wifi&4g
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera Alert crashing on opening on mini ipad4 wifi&4g
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nearly50 wrote:
BTW - I appreciate you trying to help me.

You're welcome, it's what we do here! Wink

At this point, I'm stumped. I thought that it might be that CamerAlert was a 32-bit app and the iOS on your iPad was 64 bit, however, iOS has been 64 bit for some time. So, CamerAlert must also be 64 bit.

My current thinking is that the screen resolution of your iPad Mini 4 may be different to what CamerAlert can cope with. Is there a way for you to change logical resolution or zoom so older apps can run on it?

Sorry, but I'm getting to be a little out of my depth here. Hopefully somebody else will know the answer! Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on ACPM. Why are you mixing up WiFi, cellular data and GPS? They are three entirely different systems, used for two entirely different reasons (data, data and position) and entirely non-dependent on each other.

For CamerAlert you need ONLY GPS for position (unless you display its maps and then you need a data connection, be it WiFi from your home network or cellular data). Other than to download the database you don't need WiFi or cellular data. CamerAlert only uses data if you have the map showing, not if it's running in the background.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CA runs on my iPhone XS Max, iOS 13.1.3
iPad Pro 11", iOS 13.1.3, wifi, data SIM, has CA on it because it has carried forward when I got new iPad and restored it from the previous one. CA just won't work - it starts and says it's not up to date please update, but the bottom bar of icons isn't there. It won't drag up, just scrolls the map so I can't do anything with it. I don't know how long this has been the situation because I never use CA on iPad - I have no suitable mount for it in the van and anyway, I think it would be too big a lump. iPhone sits comfortably on an OSO mount and is good for me.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
nearly50
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
CA runs on my iPhone XS Max, iOS 13.1.3
iPad Pro 11", iOS 13.1.3, wifi, data SIM, has CA on it because it has carried forward when I got new iPad and restored it from the previous one. CA just won't work - it starts and says it's not up to date please update, but the bottom bar of icons isn't there. It won't drag up, just scrolls the map so I can't do anything with it. I don't know how long this has been the situation because I never use CA on iPad - I have no suitable mount for it in the van and anyway, I think it would be too big a lump. iPhone sits comfortably on an OSO mount and is good for me.
This makes me wonder if it is the “cellular/data or GPRS side of it that prevents CA from working?

It runs fine on my old iPad Air Wifi only.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi nearly50,

M8TJT wrote:
For CamerAlert you need ONLY GPS for position

We need to establish which of your devices has GPS. To do this you need to look at the specifications of each device or load a SatNav app together with OFFLINE map data of your local area on to all of your devices and then test each one to navigate a route whilst showing your current position at all times. You need offline maps to ensure that you're not using data for the test. You also need to drive the route for a mile or two.

nearly50 wrote:
This makes me wonder if it is the “cellular/data or GPRS side of it that prevents CA from working?

CamerAlert should load onto an iOS device that does not have GPS. Although it wouldn't show your location, your speed, nor local speed cameras. It might show you the map (via WiFi) but you would have to manually position and manually zoom the map.

CamerAlert on a device without GPS is as useful as a chocolate teapot!

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
nearly50
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know if this is what you are asking Robert?:

Old iPad Air is WiFi only and CA works fine whilst in the house on WiFi
Old mini iPad is WiFi only and CA works fine whilst in the house on WiFi
New IPhone 8+ is WiFi and Cellular and CA works fine inside the house on WiFi or outside using 4G

New mini iPad 4 is WiFi and Cellular and crashes on loading CA with a Sim in or out.

Cheers
nearly50
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: UPDATE - NOW WORKING???!! Reply with quote

Well well. After messing with the settings in my mini Ipad 4, (but not actually changing anything), I went for yet another deletion of the CA App, and then reinstalled from the Apple site - and guess what - it works!!! Very Happy

I've no idea what has changed from yesterday but for some strange (good) reason all appears to work. Very strange.

I will now test it on my next trip.

Thanks for your patience and suggestions. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Smile
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi nearly50,

That's excellent news that you have got CamerAlert working on your new mini iPad. Well done! Thumbs Up Happy

Go for a drive with CamerAlert in the background and your SatNav app of choice in the foreground. You won't get visual (i.e. speed camera icons on your SatNav app screen) but you should get audio spoken alerts from CamerAlert.

Once you're happy with using your SatNav app with CamerAlert, get the current CamerAlert database, if you haven't already as CamerAlert is excellent for cameras especially for SPECS and warning if you exceed the average speed limit.

After that, let me wax lyrical about the POIViewer iOS app if you use custom or your own POIs. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
akkipaa
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have understood the iOS 13.x are for iPhone and there is "new" iPadOS for tablets. They share the same foundation, but basically are different. My iPad is still in iOS 12.x version (and I don't use CA in it). I wouldn't be surprised if there are usage problems with iPadOS unless developers confirm something else. (So, you can't have iOS 13.x in iPads, right.)
nearly50
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Hi nearly50,

That's excellent news that you have got CamerAlert working on your new mini iPad. Well done! Thumbs Up Happy

Go for a drive with CamerAlert in the background and your SatNav app of choice in the foreground. You won't get visual (i.e. speed camera icons on your SatNav app screen) but you should get audio spoken alerts from CamerAlert.

Once you're happy with using your SatNav app with CamerAlert, get the current CamerAlert database, if you haven't already as CamerAlert is excellent for cameras especially for SPECS and warning if you exceed the average speed limit.

After that, let me wax lyrical about the POIViewer iOS app if you use custom or your own POIs. Thumbs Up Yes, I have set it to open Google Maps automatically when I open CA. I must go away again soon to test it working in the background on my mini iPad before splashing the cash on a Garmin. Many thanks for your correspondence.

Regards,
nearly50
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akkipaa wrote:
I have understood the iOS 13.x are for iPhone and there is "new" iPadOS for tablets. They share the same foundation, but basically are different. My iPad is still in iOS 12.x version (and I don't use CA in it). I wouldn't be surprised if there are usage problems with iPadOS unless developers confirm something else. (So, you can't have iOS 13.x in iPads, right.)
The problem iPad is my new mini 4 which is what I want to sue as my sat nav in my Motorhome. It is currently 13.2 and wouldn’t load until I deleted it many (many) times before a reinstall yesterday suddenly decided to start working (no idea why).

My old IPad Air running 12.4.2 ran CA with no worries.

Anyway, seems my problems have been overcome and I will now test CA running in the background with Google Maps and see how it goes.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nearly50 wrote:
Anyway, seems my problems have been overcome and I will now test CA running in the background with Google Maps and see how it goes.

As I said that's great news! Thumbs Up

Run Google Maps with CamerAlert in the background for a few trips and let us know how you get on.

Once you're happy with Google Maps with CamerAlert, you could try TomTom GO Navigation iOS app although you need to buy an annual subscription (around £20 PA I think). If you use custom POIs then you can also try POIViewer iOS app (£3.99).

Warning
As you intend to use the iPad mini in your motorhome, be aware that all of the SatNav apps for iOS are for cars and not larger vehicles. If you intend to use small lanes (i.e. Cornwall, Yorkshire, Jersey in the Channel Islands) then take care and notice of road signs. Alternatively, look for iOS apps that are specifically for larger vehicles - the only one that I can think of is possibly CoPilot but further investigation is advised before purchase!!

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
nearly50
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
nearly50 wrote:

As I said that's great news! Thumbs Up

Run Google Maps with CamerAlert in the background for a few trips and let us know how you get on.

Once you're happy with Google Maps with CamerAlert, you could try TomTom GO Navigation iOS app although you need to buy an annual subscription (around £20 PA I think). If you use custom POIs then you can also try POIViewer iOS app (£3.99).

Warning
As you intend to use the iPad mini in your motorhome, be aware that all of the SatNav apps for iOS are for cars and not larger vehicles. If you intend to use small lanes (i.e. Cornwall, Yorkshire, Jersey in the Channel Islands) then take care and notice of road signs. Alternatively, look for iOS apps that are specifically for larger vehicles - the only one that I can think of is possibly CoPilot but further investigation is advised before purchase!!

Regards,
One of the reasons I am/was considering buying a Garmin Camper as you can put your vehicle dimensions in. The thing is, there are so many reviewers that say it’s not very good and still takes you up unsuitable small country roads.

This is the reason I am holding back as. Don’t want to spend £300+ On something no better than Google Maps. The plus for me is that I will be able to run CA in the background which I knew nothing about until the good people on here told me about it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: