Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Go Essential
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Go Essential

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
happyrev
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Go Essential Reply with quote

Is it possible to download cameras etc to tom tom go essential cannot see it on download list ?
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you can’t, along with all the newer TTs. But you can have CamerAlert on your smartphone and link it to your TT.

You also can’t make your own POI folders either. I used to have all my favourites for different countries in their own folders. Now you have to have them all on the device in alphabetical order ignoring the fact they’re in different countries. So I prefix them with "GB" or "FR" etc.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
You also can’t make your own POI folders either.

I thought that you could load multiple POI categories into a current TomTom PND and that the individual POIs would stay in their own categories. I didn't know that all custom POIs get concatenated into a single mega messy POI category - that's bad! Rolling Eyes

Calomax wrote:
Now you have to have them all on the device in alphabetical order ignoring the fact they’re in different countries. So I prefix them with "GB" or "FR" etc.

I have TomTom GO iOS, and not a current TomTom PND. You cannot load custom POI categories via MyDrive into TomTom GO iOS, you can only add favourites, but you cannot search the favourites in TomTom GO iOS.

Calomax, you say that you prefix each POI with a country's code. Can you not search for POIs nearest either your current location or another point on the map and that also match a certain string?

Whilst TomTom GO iOS can't handle POIs, I use a third-party app called POIViewer for management of my POIs and I can search for a partial string within the POIs and list those POIs in order of distance from either my current location or another place.

You can try adding sub-categories to the POI name: My wife and I have visited Jersey for a number of years and have built up a list of over 900 POIs for the island. Whilst they are all kept in the same single "Jersey" POI category, I have divided them into sub-categories by adding the sub-categories in square brackets as a suffix, e.g.:

Jersey Pearl, main entrance [Att,Retail,Food,WiFi] #0001
Breakwater Café, St Catherine's Point [Food,WiFi] #0019
Battle of Flowers Museum [MIA 2012] #0051

The #nnnn is a unique ID number for cross-referencing with a printed copy of the POIs. You can search for any partial string such as: the POI name; or category; or ID.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only POIs produced by TomTom can be used. All you can do yourself is to save favourites in MyPlaces, which can be done on the device or on the MyDrive app and sent to the device and they store in alphabetical order.

What I meant was that I prefix each of the favourites with GB, FR, JE ETC. then at least I can find them together for each country.

Last year I was using the Go app which also uses MyDrive and when I bought my new Go Essential, I sent my french favourites to it from MyDrive , expecting the UK and Jersey ones to stay on MyDrive so I could send them to the device when I need them. But no, all those that aren’t on the device disappear from MyDrive.

So now I’m faced with trying to recreate them from memory and maps.

I don’t understand how a company like TomTom can make modern products that are so much worse than they were 10 years ago. What I really wanted was a new PND that worked like my old Go720.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
Only POIs produced by TomTom can be used. All you can do yourself is to save favourites in MyPlaces, which can be done on the device or on the MyDrive app and sent to the device and they store in alphabetical order.

I thought that you could import your own custom .ov2 POI into MyDrive for PNDs and Android GO just not iOS GO:

MyDrive | My Places | POI Files (tab) | Import POI File

This should allow you to "Select an OV2 file to import and sync with your TomTom device ".

I'm afraid that I learnt the hard way a long time ago that that TomTom favourites are not the best to way to keep POIs. I used to keep POIs in OV2 files. Over the last couple of years I have developed an Excel spreadsheet for storing my POIs. The Excel spreadsheet is the master and each column contains specific info such as longitude, latitude, name, telephone number, created, updated, etc. Other columns then take the data and concatenate to create data for OV2. I save this as a .csv UTF-8 file and then pass it through GPSBabel to create the OV2 file.

The beauty of the Excel file is that it also creates a URL for checking the location of the POI in Google and Open Street maps, it also creates URLs for checking against TomTom My Drive maps and also Here maps for Garmin. I designed the Excel spreadsheet to be universal for TomTom and Garmin but I guess it could be expanded to any other SatNav as long as you know the format and are happy convert to .csv and then using GPSBabel.

Calomax wrote:
I don’t understand how a company like TomTom can make modern products that are so much worse than they were 10 years ago. What I really wanted was a new PND that worked like my old Go720.

I agree. I would love to have a PND that matched or even exceeded my GO950 Live.

BTW, if you'd like to see how the Excel spreadsheet works, then send me an email with the data of few (i.e. less than 10) POIs (e.g. Latitude, Longitude, Name, and Phone). Just click on the email button on my post.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Robert. Several members of the forums have said that it isn’t possible with the latest devices. Living in Guernsey I’m only an occasional SatNav user and I’m really not experienced enough to try your suggestions. But thank you for trying to help.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Calomax,

Have you had a look at the TomTom's "Transferring favourites and POIs to your new device" video on YouTube, which might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=93&v=AiO4zR0ugGo

Again, I admit that I don't have a TomTom PND that uses MyDrive as I can't justify buying a PND that doesn't fully support custom POIs. However, whilst I have 1,000s of custom POIs in loads of categories in POIViewer I do tend to keep 20 or so POIs in my Favourites in TomTom iOS GO for quick navigation AND also for named location in my 'Recent Destinations'.

I keep my favourites 'fluid', i.e. my most often used POIs are copied into my favourites and kept there, whilst other POIs are more temporary. When we're on holiday in Jersey I add the hotel and other key POIs.

My Excel spreadsheet creates the URL to create the location and description of a POI for MyDrive, all you have to do is Copy & Paste it into a web browser that is already signed into MyDrive, right-click on it and 'add to my places'.

Here is an example of the MyDrive URL for the old "St Martin’s Country Hotel" which shouldn't be too far away from you in Guernsey:

Code:
https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/#mode=search+viewport=49.44012,-2.556037,16,0,-0+search=%7B%22input%22:
%22St%20Martin’s%20Country%20Hotel,%20St%20Martins%22,%22coords%22:%5B49.44012,-2.556037%5D%7D+ver=3

I've had to split the above URL for neatness, but you can still Copy & Paste it into MyDrive. By the way, we once stayed at the St Martin’s Country Hotel although I understand that it closed years ago - it was the only POI in my custom Guernsey POI list in the parish of St Martin. When we revisit Guernsey I will try and create a POI list similar to our Jersey one.

If you sign onto MyDrive and copy the above URL you will see a marker for the location of the old hotel, together with a label.

Please give the above a go. All you're doing is showing a POI (with a label) on the MyDrive map. If you want the POI in your places then it can be easily added by clicking on it.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Robert, I tried that and all that happened was that the corkscrew jus kept going round continuously. And the you tube link you gave might or might not work but I would need POIs on an old device and mine has died. If it hadn’t, then I wouldn’t have a new one at all.

But thanks for your advice. It might be useful to someone else.

Yes, the St Martin's Country Hotel closed down along time ago because it would have been too costly to modernise. Our tourist industry has died with the advent of cheap flights to guaranteed sun and our authorities wanted to push everything upmarket. But we’re fighting back with some modernisation. And Premier Inn is building a new hotel.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
I would need POIs on an old device and mine has died. If it hadn’t, then I wouldn’t have a new one at all.

OK, how dead is your old TomTom 720? Is it completely dead or can you connect it to your Windows (?) computer and it behaves like an external drive? Or did you have an SD card in your TomTom 720 with the maps loaded onto the SD card?

If you can do one of the following, then you may be in luck:
  1. Connect the TomTom 720 to your computer
  2. Read the SD card from your TomTom 720 (if you had one)
  3. Find and examine that backup that you hopefully made of your TomTom 720
If you look at the map folder of your dead TomTom 720, you will find the following type of files:
  • MapSettings.cfg
  • your-poi-named-files .OV2
  • your-poi-named-files .BMP (icon)
  • your-poi-named-files .OGG (optional sound file)
Copy all of the above files to a new folder and breath a sigh of relief! Thumbs Up

You can obtain all of your favourites from the MapSettings.cfg file, just following the instructions by mikealder in the Converting "MapSettings.cfg" file thread by using the POIEdit Windows program.

Calomax wrote:
Our tourist industry has died with the advent of cheap flights to guaranteed sun and our authorities wanted to push everything upmarket. But we’re fighting back with some modernisation. And Premier Inn is building a new hotel.

If Guernsey is anything like Jersey then it only has three main industries: Agriculture (Horticulture); Tourism; and Finance. Unfortunately, the Jersey States seem to have allowed Agriculture and Tourism to die off and concentrate on Finance but in the global market and with Brexit the Finance industry seems to be having a hard time against the competition.

By the way, does Guernsey still have the law in place that agricultural greenhouses cannot be demolished, even derelict ones?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robert, I’ll have to give that a try. I’m going to France tomorrow so it’ll have to wait. It isn’t completely dead. It just doesn’t like to turn on, sometimes needing several attempts before it usually does.

I’ll be ok in France because it was the french places that I had sent to my new device when I thought I could keep all the others on MyDrive for when I need them. Unfortunately MyDrive then synchronised with the TT and that when I lost them.

Yes, Guernsey has prioritised finance far more than Jersey which we found last month still looks and feels like a proper holiday resort. Greenhouses have always been classed as agricultural land and could always be demolished but most times they have to revert to agricultural land. A few have been given permission for building, but not many.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Calomax,

Calomax wrote:
Thank you Robert, I tried that and all that happened was that the corkscrew jus kept going round continuously. And the you tube link you gave might or might not work but I would need POIs on an old device and mine has died. If it hadn’t, then I wouldn’t have a new one at all.

Did you try it on a phone or tablet? I cannot get it to work on a phone (I don't have a tablet) but I can get it to work on both Safari and Chrome web browsers on my Mac. I ask that you try again in a few different web browsers on either a Windows or Mac computer when you return from France:

1. Go to https://mydrive.tomtom.com or https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/ in your browser of choice.
2. Login to TomTom MyDrive, using your TomTom MyDrive userid and password.

Hopefully, you will see the TomTom MyDrive map centred roughly on your current location, or possibly the physical location to where your IP address is linked to! Thumbs Up Once you are logged in to MyDrive, Copy & Paste the following into your web browser's address bar

Code:
https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/#mode=search+viewport=49.44012,-2.556037,16,0,-0+search=%7B%22input%22:
%22St%20Martin’s%20Country%20Hotel,%20St%20Martins%22,%22coords%22:%5B49.44012,-2.556037%5D%7D+ver=3

You should then see a TomTom MyDrive map centred around where the St Martin's Country Hotel used to be, with a pointer that when clicked on, will give the name of the location, i.e. St Martin's Country Hotel.

Calomax wrote:
Thanks Robert, I’ll have to give that a try. I’m going to France tomorrow so it’ll have to wait. It isn’t completely dead. It just doesn’t like to turn on, sometimes needing several attempts before it usually does.

That's great news that your TomTom 720 isn’t completely dead. Hopefully you will be able to copy the MapSettings.cfg, .OV2, .BMP, and possibly the .OGG files to a safe place where you can use the files that you need in order to recover your old favourites and other POIs.

Have a safe journey in France, I'm guessing that you're taking the car and that you'll take a ferry to St Malo via Jersey. Good luck with the ferry, back in September 2015 Condor Ferries had a major problem and we had trouble getting off Jersey - we ended up getting a ferry to St Malo and driving 300+ miles to Calais to catch the Eurotunnel back to England.

Please let us know how you get on with the recovery of your favourites and POIs when you return.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: