Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Repositions As Autonomous Navigation Biz
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Repositions As Autonomous Navigation Biz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: TomTom Repositions As Autonomous Navigation Biz Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
TomTom shareholders have approved the sale of TomTom Telematics to Bridgestone Europe. The sale was announced in January and this paves the way for TomTom to concentrate on core strengths.

The sale raised £790m with the majority being distributed amongst shareholders. The remainder will be reinvested in the company. The sale agreement comes as TomTom repositions to focus on autonomous navigation using its map data, navigation software and real-time traffic info services.

In the same week it was announced that international PR firm Lewis has has been appointed to handle communications for TomTom in the UK and The Netherlands with a remit to help position them as the leader in autonomous car navigation systems.

telematics.tomtom
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
TomTom shareholders have approved the sale of TomTom Telematics to Bridgestone Europe.

The sale raised £790m with the majority being distributed amongst shareholders

What a surprise Rolling Eyes
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
TieJustice
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: 1 thing to say Reply with quote

I have a tomtom device unfortunately, and it’s absolutely rubbish.

It outdated slow and incorrect and can be very dangerous. I have contacted there support regarding there dangerous errors but still after a year of owning this rubbish they have done nothing.

Why did I get a tomtom I have to use it in my line of work.
Would I get one if I had a choice no way in hell I could give you a list of errors but what’s the point they know that there devices are rubbish and dangerous and they don’t care.
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a TomTom over 10 years ago and it was good but the cost of updating maps, (which I never did), caused me to move to CoPilot on my phone. The map updates are free and it works well.
I do think TomTom were being a bit greedy with the cost of updates.
steveJ
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom announced at CES in January that they have an Apple CarPlay app in beta test. It seems they want to compete with Google and Waze. Time will tell if they make it work, although they do have access to some of the best mapping, but whether it’s as good as Google’s is yet to be seen.
You can apply to TomTom to become a beta tester, so I might try!

Steve
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that TomTom has lost its way, pun intended Wink. Ten years ago, TomTom made feature-rich products and listened to their customers. Nowadays TomTom's products are seriously dumbed down with considerably fewer features than the older versions. TomTom has failed to listen to customers' requests, in its own forums, asking for the lost features to be reinstated.

steveJ wrote:
TomTom announced at CES in January that they have an Apple CarPlay app in beta test. It seems they want to compete with Google and Waze. Time will tell if they make it work, although they do have access to some of the best mapping, but whether it’s as good as Google’s is yet to be seen.

As soon as Google and Waze produced apps that were Apple CarPlay enabled then TomTom should have done the same. Surely a company as large and as established at TomTom would have all of the necessary resources to do so?

steveJ wrote:

The beta test is now closed. There was a couple of days in January 2019 when they were asking for iOS app users as beta testers for Apple CarPlay but they shut the doors pretty quick. Have a read of the "beta team" thread in the TomTom forum.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
steveJ
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course the other thing to take into account is that TomTom is renowned for being a bunch of money grabbers without a thought for its customers, and a pound to a pinch of salt they’ll be making a charge for the app.
Considering that both Google maps and Waze are free to use, then I’m afraid TomTom for CarPlay could be dead from the start if that’s the case.

Steve
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveJ wrote:

Steve

Don't bother, it'll just send you mad with frustration because they never pay their testers any attention!!! (Ask MikeAlder).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect I shall not live to see the day when TT make a success of in-car performance. I'm now on my third in-car satnav (Renault, by TomTom) and the best was the first - as with previous PNDs, they've dumbed down and improved them since, so they are worse.

The latest in-car ones don't offer (Renault don't offer) map updates with the same frequency (even though they price them outrageously, updates around £90 for one Europe map) as TT offer them for PNDs - I got v1011 last November (when it was already out of date) and nothing since. Renault tell me I've got the latest map, but why does it occasionally give me different directions from the v1025 map on my GO6002?

Like I said, I don't expect to live that long, but I wouldn't offer to test drive any Renault with autonomousyness thank you!

Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not intending to be a passenger in any car that hasn't got a proper driver with controls.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If TomTom cannot get a SatNav PND or app right then I have zero faith in any vechicle that has TomTom developered autonomous systems.

In fact, any vechicle that does have a TomTom autonomous system should have flashing red warning lights to warn other road users! Wink
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
In fact, any vechicle that does have a TomTom autonomous system should have flashing red warning lights to warn other road users! Wink
Or a nice man waving a red flag?

Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would probably get run over by the car
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a couple of old TTs kicking about, I did try the app for Android, but it was pants as a freebie so bought it hoping it might be better, pah, just as pants, then I found it could only be used on one device, sadly it was on my old Samsung S2, and also that it was a yearly licence, guess who didn't bother buying again.

TT have the habit of shooting themselves in the foot, I'd lose no sleep if they disappeared altogether they only have themselves to blame.

CoPilot is the model which seems to work consistently for me, barring POI loading.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: