Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which - Entry level - GPS for Newbie
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which - Entry level - GPS for Newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrMerc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Which - Entry level - GPS for Newbie Reply with quote

Hi all,
Newbie here.
I'm now a disabled pensioner, and need a bit of exercise.

I bought a metal detector. I'm now thinking of getting my first - entry level - GPS kit.

Basically, I want to record where I find things, and build up a pattern. After that, I'm not sure what they do ??

I have no experience with GPS at all, so would appreciate both advice and model recommendations.

(will also be looking for a dashcam, so will post again on the appropriate forum)

Baz
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Baz,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

What sort of equipment do you have? I.e. do you have a Windows or Mac computer? Do you have MS Excel? Do you have a smartphone (iPhone or Android)?

What metal detector do you have? If you have a Minelab CTX 3030 then it'll record the GPS coordinates and you can analyse it using the Minelab software (Windows only). I'm sure that there are other metal detectors that can use GPS as well.

Probably the easiest way is to use a smartphone to take photographs (with GPS enabled) of each find where you found it.

Have a look at how do i get gps coordinates from a picture

Once you get home you can use extract the coordinates from the photograph and use MS Excel (or any spreadsheet) to record the data (date, longitude, latitude, description, etc).

You can even get Excel to create a URL that will show the location of the find (from its GPS coordinates) on a map from Google, OpenStreetMap, etc.

Once you have a spreadsheet with GPS coordinates you can turn that into a set of POIs for Google Earth, which will show you the grouping of your finds. [The creation of a set of POIs for Google Earth is one thing that I haven't done but it should be relatively straight forward to do]

As for dashcams, I use RoadHawk units (HD-2 and DC-3) as they give HD 1080 resolution and auto exposure for lighting and they use standard sized SD cards (I find that micro SD cards tend to get launched into the air when extracting them from dashcam). As for dashcam software I like Dashcam Viewer by Earthshine Software (Windows and Mac), it's not free but it is worth looking at.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DrMerc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,
Thanks for a rapid reply.

Detector;
I was going for the CTX3030, but luckily, all the suppliers advised me against it, being too complicated for a newbie (makes a change from just ripping money out of your hands ?!).
I did go for Minelab, with an Equinox 800.

P,C;
I use Windows 10 on my desktop (& laptop when I use it - basically in virgin mode at the moment).
Office 2016

Phone;
My OnePlus 3 is on Android 8.0 at the moment.

I haven't looked for GPS on the phone yet, but assumed that there would be something there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I tried a dashcam. It was o.k apart from it wouldn't read number plates till I got very close. To me, the very idea, is to grab that info in 99.9% of the time.
I have been toying with the idea of building - and posible selling - surveillance kits; front cam, rear cam and a tiny cam in each front door, with a permanent live DVR.

My Son is looking for a Super dashcam, with motion detector for when parked.

once again, many thanks for your advice. I'm looking forward to following the links etc.
B
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Privateers suggestions of a GPS enabled camera/smartphone and logging your finds in a Spreadsheet on your computer.

Depending on, you how you set the spreadsheet up you shall be able to record a wealth of information as well as the photos and the locations and then easily be able to sort through your catalogue of buried treasures

Just remember to strip the GPS co-ords and other sensitive data out of any photos you intend to share online otherwise you may find that pirates have returned to the site and deprived you of your bounty.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: