Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Intelligent Speed Assist Tech May Become Mandatory
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Intelligent Speed Assist Tech May Become Mandatory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Intelligent Speed Assist Tech May Become Mandatory Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Sitting among a range of new safety features due for all new cars, mandatory speed limiters were included in a proposal from the European Transport Safety Council, and this has recently been approved by a group of key MEPs.

It has long been recognised that speed, or more accurately, inappropriate speed, is one of the three main contributing factors to road deaths. Now the European Transport Safety Council (ETSC) is advocating for the inclusion of mandatory speed limiters, known as Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) devices, in all new cars.

Source: etc.eu

ISA uses GPS location data, digital map data and traffic sign recognition to identify speed limits and integrates with the vehicle electronics to limit engine power to match the speed limit and actively prevent drivers from exceeding the speed limit. The system is designed such that extra power can be requested by pressing harder on the accelerator, but this would only be for a limited time period.

The ETSC states. "If the driver continues to drive above the speed limit for several seconds, the system should sound a warning for a few seconds and display a visual warning until the vehicle is operating at or below the speed limit again."

And there are concerns. ISA systems are far from foolproof. Many cars have speed limit recognition installed already and this often shows the wrong data due to incorrect or outdated speed-limit information. Digital maps are also not fully populated with speed limit information for all roads, and data is not always current or updated. Moreover, camera-based systems cannot anticipate all scenarios, such as when traffic signs are covered up, poor weather conditions etc.

For many drivers ISA will provide a benefit, preventing inadvertent excess speed, for others it will be seen as yet more evidence of the nanny state. And where will a drive stand if caught speeding due to a system failure? As always it will be down to the driver to be in overall control so it's not an opportunity to switch off.
email icon

cornz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Utter left wing marxist control. Reply with quote

Nay, nay and thrice nay.
IF it uses gps it will be easily circumvented with a cheap gps jammer.
Or some tinfoil around the receiver.
The government sticks its nose into enough aspects of my life without intruding on my driving pleasure. This is just the start, i have it on good authority that "black boxes" will be the next "mandatory" device to be included.
This has NOTHING to do with road safety and EVERYTHING to do with persecuting car owners.
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't intelligent. It is merely a speed limiter with varying limits taken from a probably incorrect database.

My car displays speed limits on the satnav and it is regularly wrong. Joining a dual carriageway at the weekend, it jumped from the side road 30 to 70 to 50 and then to 60, before eventually settling at the correct 70. Most in car satnav systems are here maps, which has a lot of spurious data. Then you have to spend at least a couple of hours twice a year to update them.

Rubbish in, rubbish out.

I'd rather see adaptive cruise control that stops tailgating.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Utter left wing marxist control. Reply with quote

cornz wrote:
This has NOTHING to do with road safety and EVERYTHING to do with persecuting car owners.
Some people seem to have a persecution complex around here. I used to have one of those, but got over it when everyone ganged up on me.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Utter left wing marxist control. Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
cornz wrote:
Some people seem to have a persecution complex around here. I used to have one of those, but got over it when everyone ganged up on me.
Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean we’re not out to get you.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem was, the ones that ganged up on you had radar speed guns. Smile
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Molemann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: More to go wrong! Reply with quote

More electronics more to go wrong! Will MOT's go up? oh it part of the test

My work van has a top limit of 68mph and this can mean that on a motorway you may have to sit behind slower vehicles and some system seems to 'lag' meaning you are not actually getting the speed. A problem when vehicles are travelling too fast behind you and you cant get back into the lane you left and the person has now gained speed.

Likewise we have a speed warning system that is not too bad, on a lot of speeds however some are wrong, both too high and too low.

Another error is where we have a 30mph road running alongside and 50mph road that filters onto a dual carriageway, I'm at 40mph and it tells me I'm going to fast - GPS up to / over 10 metre error which can be worse if the signal is poor.
Is the system ready yet to actually control my speed instead of just warning me, due to these US inaccuracies they put into civilian devices?

Why can't we be allowed to drive and control our own speeds and be done if we break them? Big Brother is watching you.

And because someone else will mention it - why are we signing up to European lead things, thought we were leaving, the technology for this system will more than likely come from there so they will be happy.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because we won't be able to sell our cars abroad if we don't comply. Simples. Except, What cars?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since 1983 I've changed my car every 3 years.

Honda introduced a disasterous problem laden Android headunit in 2015 so I decided to hold onto my 2013 Civic a while longer.

Since then technology has been introduced that seems to be not fit for purpose, introduced too soon, so I'm hanging onto my current very low mileage car a bit longer. Only on just under 18k, garaged, so no issue.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DEANO3528
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you imagine miles of cars all doing exactly the same speed with no one able to overtake another, or if they do, then massive queues of older non-equipped vehicles being held up...

Hmmm...

...just like the A14 then...
Molemann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just think how much money the treasury will miss out on if no one is speeding, especially being that its based on what you earn!

This will mean them having to bleed us motorist some other way!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as a pensioner earning nothing, does that mean that I won't be fined anything? I don't think so. It didn't work like that last time I was caught.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My intelligent speed limiter seems to work perfectly OK ....... it's my right foot Very Happy
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: