Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Go 6100 and third party POI
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Go 6100 and third party POI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrcguy06
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Go 6100 and third party POI Reply with quote

I recently contacted Tom Tom support about a technical issue I was having with my 6100 which they resolved and in the course of the conversation I enquired as to whether it was now possible do download and install third party POI such as Speed Camera Database. They have assured me that it is and have provided the necessary instructions and videos.

Has something changed because if my memory serves me correctly, two years ago when I purchased my 6100 it wasn't possible.

Also, on the compatibility page of this website it still says No.

I am asking because in order for me to do this I need to renew my £19.99 a year subscription.

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Brian Benjamin
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom support have answered your question without giving you the full story. It should be possible to download and install third party POIs by following their instructions.

It will then be possible to navigate to those POIs.

You can't have a custom Icon on the screen and you can't have a warning sound on approach to the POI. So for speed camera warnings it is useless.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

Could you post the instructions and a link to the video here? As it would be useful to see exactly what TomTom is telling people.

pcaouolte has given a good answer, whilst you can use MyDrive to load custom (i.e. third party) POIs onto your TomTom PND you cannot see an icon on screen nor get a proximity alert for that POI on current TomTom PNDs, you can only navigate to custom POIs.

You could go for a Garmin which will show you POI icons on the screen and give you proximity alerts. However, as a TomTom user, you may not like Garmin's routing nor its traffic. The alternative is to use the free CamerAlert app (Android or iPhone only) for warning of cameras.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
wrcguy06
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Go 6100 & Third Party POI Alerts Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Thanks for your responses and as I thought, they wont work. Glad I asked before spending £19.99 on an annual subscription which would have been pointless.

This is what they advised me:

You can download such POI from websites such as http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/.

Now follow steps mentioned below to add it to your device.

Step 1 : Login in MyDrive option on your device :

I would request you to please make sure that you have logged in into the MyDrive option on your device.

You can follow the below mentioned steps to do so :

1. On your device, Go to the main menu.
2. Tap on TomTom services.
3. Tap on MyDrive and enter your TomTom account details.

Step 2 : Import the Third party POI through MyDrive.

You can import OV2 files with a maximum size of 2MB from your computer using the following steps:
Connect your Rider device to computer and click on MyDrive <- Click here.
Click on the My Places menu.

If you are not already logged in with your MyTomTom-account, log in now.
Click on POI files.
Click Import POI file.
Click Select File to browse your computer for the file you want to upload.
As your device is connected to your computer with a USB cable the .OV2 file will be synced right away.
You will find your POI files under the My Places menu on your device. The My Places category will have the same name as the OV2 file you uploaded. To know more about this, please click on the below link.

How do I transfer items from MyDrive to my navigation device?

Thanks again

Brian
wrcguy06
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom GO6100 Third Party POI Reply with quote

Here is the link to the video they pointed me to as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy4EEelMb0Y&feature=youtu.be
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom Go 6100 & Third Party POI Alerts Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

Thanks for posting what TomTom support says, it's interesting to know what they say about custom POIs and what they miss out - i.e. the fact that you can't see the POIs on screen nor set up a proximity alert for them.

wrcguy06 wrote:
Thanks for your responses and as I thought, they won't work. Glad I asked before spending £19.99 on an annual subscription which would have been pointless.

I think that the PocketGPSWorld camera database is very good especially when it's coupled with the free CamerAlert app. I run CamerAlert in the background and TomTom GO Mobile iOS in the foreground. While it's nice to have the camera icons on the screen you do get used to just hearing audio warnings for them from CamerAlert.

I'm a moderator of this forum, a Lifetime Member, and a Pocket GPS Verifier, so I can't claim to be independent Wink and as a Lifetime Member I get a free subscription to PocketGPSWorld which includes the camera database. However, there is a lot of work behind the scenes to ensure that the database is as accurate as possible so I believe that the subscription of £19.99 a year is worth it. Why not give the database a try with CamerAlert?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And with the free app, you get a free copy of the latest database, but you have to pay the £19.99/year subs to update it and get rid of the constant nag.
However, if you are the first to report a new or changed camera, you get a free year's subs for your troubles. (Other criteria apply)
BGiles9081
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

From the comments and info in the topic I guess we will never be able to utilise the data base as we used to in the earlier TT's like the 950 Go Live?

Barry
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. TT have their own speed cam database. It's reputedly not as up to date as PGPSW so commercially, why should they 'allow' other speed cameras to be loaded?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barry

BGiles9081 wrote:
From the comments and info in the topic I guess we will never be able to utilise the data base as we used to in the earlier TT's like the 950 Go Live?

If you wish to have PGPSW camera database POI icons on screen then the only option is to have a Garmin PND.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: