Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2019 Traffic Data Quality: Tomtom vs Waze vs Google Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2019 Traffic Data Quality: Tomtom vs Waze vs Google Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edoardo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: 2019 Traffic Data Quality: Tomtom vs Waze vs Google Maps Reply with quote

Now that Tomtom has just released a Carplay compatible iphone app,
I am interested again in it.

I have searched online and these forums but could not find any reliable research about which solution provides the best traffic data quality.

Living in the south of the UK and travelling across the continent too, I use a satnav app anytime just to get routed around the traffic.

I think that being Waze owned by Google, the traffic data between Waze and Google Maps is equivalent - but that is my assumption.

If anyone has any pointers on this please could you post?
Extensive personal experience is welcome too. Thanks!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 2019 Traffic Data Quality: Tomtom vs Waze vs Google Maps Reply with quote

Hi edoardo,

edoardo wrote:
Now that Tomtom has just released a Carplay compatible iphone app,
I am interested again in it.

I have TomTom on my iPhone and have had the original TomTom iOS navigation app, the recently replaced TomTom GO Mobile iOS app, and the new TomTom GO Navigation iOS app. I don't have access to a CarPlay radio, so I'm unable to comment on how good/bad it is.

You could try the new TomTom GO Navigation iOS app for a short while, however, people are complaining that the journey bar is not available in CarPlay and you often have to use the phone itself to plan a journey if you have to type in the address. You may want to have a look at the TomTom forums:

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/categories/tomtom-go-mobile-and-navigation-for-iphoneipad-1

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/categories/tomtom-navigation-app-for-iphone-1

edoardo wrote:
I have searched online and these forums but could not find any reliable research about which solution provides the best traffic data quality.

Living in the south of the UK and travelling across the continent too, I use a satnav app anytime just to get routed around the traffic.

I have used both TomTom (TomTom Traffic) and Garmin PND (Inrix) and I have found that TomTom Traffic is generally better, i.e. more accurate and quicker to find holdups. I like TomTom Traffic but have very little experience of Waze/Google traffic so I can't answer your question.

edoardo wrote:
I think that being Waze owned by Google, the traffic data between Waze and Google Maps is equivalent - but that is my assumption.

I think that that's a fair assumption to make that Google and Waze use the same traffic data.

What is your experience of using Waze and Google for navigation and traffic avoidance?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
edoardo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 2019 Traffic Data Quality: Tomtom vs Waze vs Google Maps Reply with quote

Hi Robert
thanks for replying

Privateer wrote:

You could try the new TomTom GO Navigation iOS app for a short while, however, people are complaining that the journey bar is not available in CarPlay and you often have to use the phone itself to plan a journey if you have to type in the address. You may want to have a look at the TomTom forums:

yes I have started trying it.
The graphics is crisp and simple though you need to use the phone for planning.
Not an issue really. And the lack of journey bar on Carplay isn't either, for me.

Waze graphics is the messiest IMHO, but is balanced by lots of good alerts and by a wonderful petrol station search (using the phone while stationary, not through Carplay).

Quote:

What is your experience of using Waze and Google for navigation and traffic avoidance?

It's good.
But I would not mind paying £8/6months if that would avoid some nasty jams.
I travel from the UK to southern Europe once every year and proper traffic avoidance could save me hours.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 2019 Traffic Data Quality: Tomtom vs Waze vs Google Maps Reply with quote

edoardo wrote:
But I would not mind paying £8/6months if that would avoid some nasty jams.
I travel from the UK to southern Europe once every year and proper traffic avoidance could save me hours.

As I said above, I think that TomTom traffic is good so probably the best thing to do is to use TomTom for an extended period and see what you think.

By the way, if you want to use custom POIs with TomTom GO Navigation iOS then try the POIViewer iOS app.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: