Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT3 Configuration Process and Advice Request
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT3 Configuration Process and Advice Request

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: TT3 Configuration Process and Advice Request Reply with quote

Hi,
I am after some advice (sorry lots of advice Wink ) re a new system set up. After a few problems with my iPAQ 3870 I decided to purchase a 2210, and that will be arriving in two days. Even on a complete hard re-start, the 3870 even the basic bluetooth was unreliable. Brother wants a basic PDA, so he can have it!

Re the new config. I'd rather spend a day getting it right rather than weeks of problems. There is clearly a vast wealth of knowledge out there with such set ups and i like to draw on that expertise. Smile

From other SW install experience, its not only what you do but the order it happens can be critical. iPAQs normally give you one option, that is to blow the setup away and start again. I've lost track of the number of times I've had to edit the registry on a MS OS that has a failed install or un-install, and what we have here is a relative new MS system.

The equipment is (will be):- iPAQ 2210, WM2003, TT3, Fortuna Clip On, Nokia 6230 for traffic info. Option re SD card options are 128 mb, 256 mb, 512mb.
Any of these can be changed if a reliable solution offers itself.

Initial questions the come to mind are:-

1) SPs for iPAQ's what to install and when to install.
2) Where to install the program, SD card default program location or elsewhere.
3) What TT3 GPS driver to use?
4) The existing SD card (512 Kingston) has the UK a europe maps installed, can this be reused as is or do I need to start loading again?
5) If re-install required does formatting the SD card have an effect?
6) On the iPAQ do I you configure the Clip On and Bluetooth before or after the TT3 install?

Please dont restrict replies to these areas, if theres any 'I wish I'd done it that way' advice please post it.
I dont live a 'perfect world' so i expect the occassional issue with any sytem, but hopefully I can minimse these and the associated stress.

I'm not asking much, am I? Wink

Many thanks. Happy
SatMap
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Install the latest 2210 Rom Update if it does not already have it 1.10 is the current one.
2. I always advise CF Card for map storage, most if not all the problems users have with crashes, slow route calculation and BT drop-out are caused by SD card issues.
3. If you do not need access for any other GPS enabled apps then the latest driver is fine.
4. You will need to re-insttall the map using the TTN3 map data, save any existing .ov2 POI files then delete the map folder on the SD card.
5. It won't harm to format the SD card.
6. You can pair the Fortuna at any stage, it has no effect.

So the order I recommend is:

1. Upgrade 2210 ROM, - (Save existing .ov2 files then format SD)
2. Install TTN3
3. Install TN3 Maps 4.
4. Install TT Traffic Plug-In
5. Install latest GPS Driver (not essential)
6. Using Back-Up Tool, backup working config to SD card.

A backup on SD is always handy as you can restore even when away from a PC. Copy the backup to the PC as well in case you have a storage card problem.

I use a 2210 with TT BT GPS and store my maps on CF and other data on SD, I have never had any BT dropouts or other issues.
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Many thanks for the advice. Thumbs Up

I'm particulary interested in the comments re the use of CF cards rather than SD.

Any particular make of CF recommended? I know you usually get what you pay for, but sometimes there can be exceptions.

Thanks again
SatMap
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally CF cards don't suffer the quality issues that SD cards do, I've used all maner of CF without a problem, best to stick with a recognised brand though such as Kingston, Lexar etc.
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the help guys! Thumbs Up

Other than TT support stamping their feet re the 7 day re-intall rule things went well. Phoned them and they were VERY helpfull in going through the what to do next process! Thumbs Up

The only real fly in the ointment was the incompatibility between the iPAQ 2210 and the Nokia 6230, that I'm using for Traffic, but there may be a beta fix out there in the wild. Confused

Toodle pip!
SatMap
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iPAQ / phone incompatibility you talk about is to do with Bluetooth key handling. This update from HP may sort it for you.

You may find you need to upgrade the 2210 to ROM 1.10 first - that can be found here. Maybe you've already done this - but your sig refers to ROM 1.01. I thought the 2210 only had 1.00 and 1.10 - but maybe I'm wrong over that, as I'm not a 2210 user.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: