Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Background App Refresh unavailable & no alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Background App Refresh unavailable & no alerts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveJ
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To build on this thread slightly, the introduction of iOS13 in September will allow separate apps to run on your phone whilst simultaneously running an application in Apple Carplay.
This sounds like you’ll be able to run CamerAlert on your phone independantly from say, Apple maps, Waze or Google maps on the Carplay screen.
Hopefully this will get rid of any problems with ‘running in the background’ for CamerAlert.
I don’t have any iOS13 beta running as I prefer to wait for the public release, so roll on September.

Steve
steveJ
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my previous post I'm now using iOS13 Beta 5, and it's a real breakthrough as far as CamerAlert is concerned.

I can now run CamerAlert as a seperate app on my iphone (and not in the background) whilst running either Apple maps, Google maps or Waze in the latest version of Carplay.

So far I've not encountered any problems, and I'm getting all of my CamerAlerts as expected and none appear to have been missed.

So far I'm very happy with it.
Nigbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have noticed using camera alert via Waze on iPhone 8+ ios 13.2.2 that the specific camera voice alerts are absent while driving - settings are always throughout.
Coming to the end of a 225 mile journey yesterday slowing down in a queue of traffic I did notice a very faint background voice indicate a known camera near where I live correctly. With normal traffic background noise at higher speed I would not have heard this camera alert at all - yet the sound levels on Waze are Ok for the Waze alerts - but the CA ones are maybe there - but extremely faint. There appears to be no way of altering this - sound is set to default - maybe Bluetooth would work?
steveJ
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigbo wrote:
I too have noticed using camera alert via Waze on iPhone 8+ ios 13.2.2 that the specific camera voice alerts are absent while driving - settings are always throughout.
Coming to the end of a 225 mile journey yesterday slowing down in a queue of traffic I did notice a very faint background voice indicate a known camera near where I live correctly. With normal traffic background noise at higher speed I would not have heard this camera alert at all - yet the sound levels on Waze are Ok for the Waze alerts - but the CA ones are maybe there - but extremely faint. There appears to be no way of altering this - sound is set to default - maybe Bluetooth would work?

I had the same problem to start with, but soon found the problem, although I have to say I do use Bluetooth over my cars speakers. I have a volume +/- control on my steering wheel which allows me to increase/decrease the volume of Bluetooth announcements.
I found that if I used the controls whilst a navigation announcement was actually speaking then it would change the volume. The same is true for the CamerAlert announcements by adjusting the volume whilst it is actually speaking.

I would suggest, if you can, use Bluetooth where you can adjust the volume of individual announcements as I do.

Steve
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, on an iPhone, the volume of CamerAlert can be set at a different volume than that of your SatNav app.

I drive with TomTom GO iOS in the foreground with CamerAlert in the background. I would often find that CamerAlert would be much quieter than TomTom. NB this is on the iPhone's internal speaker as I don't connect to the car's audio but I guess it would be the same over the car's audio.

I found that if I changed the volume just when CamerAlert was speaking then I could adjust its volume but also found that I had to be quick as command immediately went back to TomTom and the volume would once again go to control TomTom.

Alternatively, I found that it was easier to bring CamerAlert to the foreground which made it easy to adjust the volume of CamerAlert and then send it to the background with TomTom back in the foreground.

For safety's safe either do the above when it is safe to do so, i.e. when stationary or ask a front seat passenger to do it for you.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
akkipaa
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The challenge here is number of combinations. For example there are two BMWs in my family, mine navigation is probably CIC and my wife's NBT Evo/ID6. Those have different hardware and of course different SW. Both we use CA and my wife has no problems, but I have some. I have set up CA to send via bluetooth and when I don't wire the phone (both we have iPhones) everything is ok and I get warnings via car's audio. When I need power I have to take that from cigarette lighter (with usb adapter) and if I connect to car's usb, CA warnings are not coming.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: