Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Background App Refresh unavailable & no alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Background App Refresh unavailable & no alerts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveJ
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it’s not in my background app refresh list, but works ok none the less. I’ve used it for journeys of an hour or more without it giving up.

Steve
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine seems to have started working again since IOS 12.1

I did switch the CamerAlert Location setting from Always to While Using the App and then back to Always. Since I did that it seems to work reliably in the background with Google Maps in the foreground.

I've only done a couple of 30 minute runs so far. It needs more testing on a longer run but the two 30 minute runs are better than it has managed for months.
steveJ
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My location services is also set to ‘Always’ for CamerAlert. Can’t see why this would make any difference really, but as it’s working well I’ll leave it like that.

Steve
steveJ
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveJ wrote:
My location services is also set to ‘Always’ for CamerAlert. Can’t see why this would make any difference really, but as it’s working well I’ll leave it like that.

Steve

To add to this I’m using iOS 12.1.2 on iPhone XR.

Ps. Why can’t we edit posts in this thread?
Onedrew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try the Always option, and see if it improves. Will report back either way. As there’s so few following this, maybe I’m just unlucky or the 6s phone has an issue.
steveJ
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know, I’ve only been using the iPhone XR for a few weeks, but it was working just the same on my previous iPhone SE.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onedrew wrote:
I will try the Always option, and see if it improves. Will report back either way. As there’s so few following this, maybe I’m just unlucky or the 6s phone has an issue.

I too have an iPhone 6s Plus, it's currently running iOS 12.1.2

CamerAlert does not appear in Background App Refresh, i.e.:
Settings screen | General | Background App Refresh

Until yesterday my CamerAlert "Allow Location Access" was set to "While Using the App". I have now set it to "Always":
Settings | CamerAlert | Location = "Always"

I admit that I too have had problems with CamerAlert not always alerting me of camera sites when it's running in the background. My usual SatNav app that runs in the foreground is TomTom GO Mobile. I did a quick google and found the following URL:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207092

Which says the following about Allow Location Access:

Never
Prevents access to Location Services information.

While Using the App
Allows access to Location Services only when the app or one of its features is visible on screen. If an app is set to While Using the App, you might see your status bar turn blue with a message that an app is actively using your location.

Always
Allows access to your location even when the app is in the background.

So, setting Allow Location Access to "Always" may be the answer.

I shall use it now and report back my findings, although I am hopefully not going on any long journeys for a while so it may take time before I report back.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Onedrew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly the only difference switching to Always has made for me is the disapearance of the blue bar advising 'CamerAlert is Actively Using Your Location'. Driving into London, alerts stopped 15 mins into journey, I moved CA into foreground -- which showed map of my home street not my current location -- and it worked fine until shortly after I moved Waze into the foreground. This has been a problem for me ever since CA disappeared from BAR list. Back to my old Garmin for alerts that work. Very disappointing that PGPSW is also in silent mode on this. Why?
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further testing today indicates that CamerAlert is still not reliable running in the background. On one journey it kept running for more than 30 minutes in the background, on another run it stopped alerting after a few minutes. There were no setting changes between the two runs and in both cases it was running behind Google maps. No indication that it had stopped alerting until I went past a camera which has been in the database for years without getting an alert. Sad IOS 12.1.1 on iPhone 8.
Dickybaby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regrettably, I didn't see this issue since re-activating my subscription three days ago.
iphone 6, IOS 12.1.1 Same problems with lack of warnings when running in background. This makes use of the app pointless.

Have tried all combinations of buttons.

If anyone has found another way of getting this app to work then the solution would be greatly appreciated.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe look at your phone settings.

They have introduced technology to auto shutdown background Apps to save battery. The latest Android versions for example have a setting to remove selected Apps from being monitored and shutdown.

Before I investigated and flagged them, even the constantly running Norton Security was being shutdown, as was my Arlo app that is needed 24x7.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Dickybaby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the reply,

...forgot to mention, have also been through all my phone settings. I am in the same situation as other contributors within this thread, whom are wanting a definitive solution.
Dickybaby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....I wouldn't be surprised if it is a similar issue to when IOS 11.4.1 was introduced which restricted re-connection to Virgin Superhubs. Fortunately Virgin admitted the issue and sent out updated protocol compliant routers to their customers.

Although this was to overcome access via the lightning connector (if left unused for an hour post connection), it affects also wireless connections.

I will change this and report back my findings.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I'm reading it wrong it looks like Apple have copied Android or vice versa ?:

If so then a phone issue.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/302669/prevent-ios-11-from-closing-background-apps
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
nhalliday
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to attack this issue from a different angle - does anyone know of an iOS speed camera app which does run continuously in the background?

There are several on the app store, but it's difficult to find specific information about them.

What I'm looking for is an app which just works when I get in my car, without the need to open it each time. I'd prefer to use Cameralert, but as it's not working in this way, I'm hoping to find a similar app.

Or maybe it's a restriction in iOS to shut down running apps after a certain period?

I'm trying to move across from Android (which worked fine) to iOS, but right now it's not looking good.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: