Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Guide to recording locations
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Guide to recording locations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Guide to recording locations Reply with quote

AlanK posted a message in the TTN forum

<<Cameras list on the decline if marking is ackward???>>

I feel he has a good point. I feel guilty that I, like probably all members of GPSW make constant use of the Speed Camera database, but contibute little or nothing in return. In my case I have struggled to attempt to record temporary cameras using GPS Assist, but I'm really not sure what I'm doing.

Would it be possible for one or some of the experts to put together an idiot's guide to recording locations along the lines of the excellant guide to installation of the database?

I realsise that there are numerous combinations of hardware and sofware in use these days, but possibly it could be started with the most poular combinations. If more people were able to accuratly record this information it could only enhance the value of it.

If this proved succesful it could possible also be used to help those building low bridge and weight limit databases.

With thanks from an apprecitive user

Malcolm
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the TomTomGo range:-

First make a new POI category called "New Cameras" or similar, then:

Method 1 - Store straight into the New Cameras POI category -
Tap to go to to Menu page 1 / Change preferences / forward arrow / Manage POI / Add POI / Scroll up or down and select category "New Cameras" / forward arrow / GPS position / then name it.

That's way too many button presses for me, so:
Method 2 - Add as a Favourite temporarily -
Tap screen / Add favourite / forward arrow / GPS position / name it anything (like just "30" or whatever, or leave it as the default name if you've got a good memory)

Then at your leisure, copy it from the Favourites to the POI category by:

Menu page 1 / Change preferences / forward arrow / Manage POI / Add POI / Scroll up or down and select category "New Cameras" / tap Favourite / select it / then name it properly (eg "Gatso:xxxx@30)

Still too fiddly for my liking, though. Lots of people have asked for a one or two touch way to save a position. and ScaredyCat has produced an add-on application to do just that.
http://www.automated.it/ttg-apps.html

Once you have collected a few, send your "New Cameras.ov2" file off to Cameras@PocketGPSWorld.com along with any explanatory notes in an email (I do it once a month around the 25th).
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fine for the Go range, but I like a lot of people am using a PDA, TT3 at the moment but proably TT% in the future. I've seen several replys to this query posted by different people, but I still feel that a formal sticky somewhere would be useful.

Malcolm
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi emjaiuk,

The post by Andy_P2002 is a very good one and not only works for all TomTom GOs, but for TomTom Navigator 5 for the PocketPC as well.

If you’re running TomTom Navigator 3, then you will require CheckPOInt 2.02 which can be downloaded from the download section of this website. Have a look here for the instructions in setting up CheckPOInt.

I’ll try in the next week or so to write a PocketGPSWorld guide for capturing cameras and submitting them to PocketGPSWorld so that they can be included in the database.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Privateer, I'm using GPS Assist, I guess it shows how many combinations are available now.

On a seperate but related subject, I'd be interested in other peoples views on add-on POI detectors. Although I'm currently using GPS Assist, before that I tried Checkpoint and POIWarner and I seem to remember that I preferred POIWarner. I beleive POIWarner is now available for TTN5, are any others available, and has anyone tried them with TTN5? I use POI Edit for updates which I find perfet.

Malcolm

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: