Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Want accurate submission of Disneyland Paris Hotel POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Want accurate submission of Disneyland Paris Hotel POIs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Want accurate submission of Disneyland Paris Hotel POIs Reply with quote

This is a request for help from the community for a mini-project asking to submit accurate co-ordinates of Disneyland Paris (DLP) hotels as well as all other Disney hotels (and Disney partner hotels) around the world as Points of Interest (POIs) for driving to.

What do you mean by accurate?
Well, when you use your SatNav to navigate to a location you want the SatNav to take you right to the place within the hotel complex that you need to aim for when you first arrive, i.e. the main entrance, reception area, underground car park entrance, etc. When you know that your SatNav is taking you right there, you can concentrate on driving in an unfamiliar area which may not only be a foreign country with different rules of the road but also a country which drives on the other side of the road.

Surely my SatNav already has the locations of the hotels?
Possibly, however your SatNav probably only has a general location that causes the SatNav to navigate to the wrong part of the hotel complex or it may even route you to the wrong hotel.

Can you create POIs from other sources?
Unfortunately not, I’ve tried. As already mentioned Google and other maps so show the general location of the hotel so it’s best if a hotel POI is submitted by somebody who has actually visited the hotel. Also in a lot of cases, Google street view doesn’t go as far as the actual hotel – this is possibly because some hotels have security guard house at which point the street view car probably turned around before it got to the hotel.

What’s in it for me?
You’ll get that warm fuzzy feeling of helping others and you’ll be able to use the POI to navigate to as well. It’s a community thing so hopefully it’ll encourage other people to submit the hotel(s) that they’ve been to.

How can I use the POIs that I and others have submitted?
Go to the PocketGPSWorld Points of Interest Community Page and read the instructions for downloading the POIs to your SatNav. Don’t forget to set the country to “France”, Category to “Accommodation” and sub-category to “Disney Hotel”.

Alternatively if you have a SatNav application on either an Android or iPhone, go to the PocketGPSWorld Mobile POI site and use it to navigate to the hotel of your choice using any of the SatNav apps that are listed which you have installed on your phone.

What hotels are there?
According to the DLP website there are 14 Hotels (6 are Disney hotels and the rest are partner hotels). We’d like all of the Disney and partner hotels in the same category. The following are DLP hotels, the ones that are "greyed out" have already been submitted:

Disneyland Hotel (already submitted and in the sub-category)
Disney's Hotel New York
Disney's Sequoia Lodge
Disney's Hotel Cheyenne
Disney's Hotel Santa Fe
Disney's Davy Crockett Ranch
Vienna International Dream Castle Hotel
Vienna International Magic Circus Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel
Adagio Marne-la-Vallée Val d'Europe
Algonquin's Explorers Hotel
Kyriad Hotel
Hôtel l’Elysée Val d’Europe
B&B Hotel

The above are just for DLP. Please also submit Disney hotels and Disney partner hotels for other countries.

How do I submit a hotel?
Read the Submission Guidelines, make a note of the hotel name and telephone number (it helps if you put them in a text file so that you can Cut & Paste them later). Go to the PocketGPSWorld POI Submission Form and use the map and/or satellite imagery to find the location – you can use zoom to its maximum setting to ensure that you have the exact location. Ensure that you’ve selected the correct country (i.e. France for DLP), Accommodation as the category, and Disney Hotel as the sub-category.

Why are you doing this?
My wife and I have just returned from a long Valentine’s weekend at Disneyland Paris (DLP) - yes we're big kids and I try to be romantic too. It was the second time that we've gone to DLP, although it was the first time that we've driven. We stayed at the "Ibis Hotel, Marne la Vallée Val d'Europe", which is a relatively cheap hotel that's 50 metres from the nearest train station, which in turn is a two minute train ride away from the DLP railway station.

We will be going again to DLP (again driving) but the next time we want to try one of the Disney hotels. During our recent stay at DLP we looked around the "Disneyland Hotel" and captured the co-ordinates of the main entrance whilst we were there. We’ve also discovered that our SatNav (iPhone TomTom Europe app) has incorrectly named the Disneyland Hotel as “Disney’s Hotel New York”. I don’t know whether it’s just that hotel that TomTom has got wrong nor whether other SatNavs are similarly affected. These are the reasons to get an accurate POI sub-category of Disney hotels.

Addendum
Between 27/02/2016 and 29/02/2016 the following hotels have been added:
  • Disneyland Hotel, Disneyland Paris
  • Disney Hotel Cheyenne
  • Disney Hotel Santa Fe
  • Explorers Hotel

Many thanks,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Last edited by Privateer on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:45 am; edited 3 times in total
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to Disney Land Paris and driving to one of the Disney (or partner) hotels then don't forget that we now have some of those hotels as POIs, which you can either download or use the PocketGPSWorld Mobile POI site.

If you have recently been to Disney Land Paris (or any other Disney park) and drove to a Disney (or partner) hotel then please have a look to see whether the hotel is already in our list:
  1. If it isn't in our list then please add it as accurately as you can.
  2. If it is in our list, is it accurate? If not then please submit a more accurate location.

Many thanks,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert. I had a look at this when you posted the original post. For me, it was a quick search and came up with all what I believed to be the information required so assumed that I had misread your request.
Between them Disney web site and Google maps has all the information required, I think. and, as there are only a handful of hotels, I don’t see this as anymore than a five minute task.
Or, have i misunderstood again?
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AliOnHols,

It's a question of accuracy and laziness. Wink

First the accuracy, if you look at the Disneyland Hotel, The PocketGPSWorld POI takes you right to the reception. Wink However, TomTom Europe calls it (incorrectly) Disney New York. Whilst Google Maps and Disney's own maps have it labelled correctly they have placed the POI in the centre of the hotel and not the entrance - if you navigate to the Google POI you might find that you'd be routed via the wrong road especially as that hotel is large.

Now the laziness. I like to select the POI and go - I don't want to select a position and then try and get to to the right place when I get there.

Back to accuracy, when I'm driving in France, I'm driving in a foreign country on the wrong side of the road. I want to concentrate on my driving, safe in the knowledge that the SatNav will take me right to the door.

That's why I'm asking people to use their own knowledge and experience of the area to ensure that the POIs are pinpoint accurate.

I hope that the explains things. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been two years since this thread was started so I thought that I'd have a look to see how many more Disney hotels have been added since 29 February 2016 and unfortunately there were no further additions Sad. We probably don't have many people here who visit Disneyland Paris (DLP) Wink. However I would like to thank everybody who has helped in this project, especially those people who submitted: Disney's Hotel Cheyenne; Disney's Hotel Santa Fe; and Algonquin's Explorers Hotel

All Disneyland Paris hotels are now in the POI category
Since this thread was started two years ago, Google Street View hasn't noticeable changed, however the accuracy of Google Maps and Google Earth has improved considerably with the real progress being 3D Google Earth around the DLP area which allows a much better (and thus more accurate) investigation than a two dimensional satellite image. Therefore I believe that I have now been able to accurately locate and add the remaining Disney (branded and partner) hotels to the POI category, including two new hotels that weren't listed two years ago, i.e. : Disney Newport Bay Club; and Villages Nature Paris.

Your help is still needed
Please download the Disney Hotels POI category and load it onto your Satnav or if you have a SatNav application on either an Android or iPhone, go to the PocketGPSWorld Mobile POI site and use it to navigate to the hotel of your choice.

If you do find that any of the hotels are in the wrong location then please submit an update.

The full Disneyland Paris hotel list
Here's the full list of hotels (branded and partner) plus a bonus of the main car park which you may need to use if you stay at some of the hotels:

Disney branded hotels
Disneyland Hotel
Disney's Hotel New York
Disney's Newport Bay Club
Disney's Sequoia Lodge
Disney Hotel Cheyenne
Disney Hotel Santa Fe
Disney's Davy Crockett Ranch

Disney partner hotels
Villages Nature Paris
Vienna House Dream Castle Hotel
Vienna House Magic Circus Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel
Adagio Marne-la-Vallée Val d'Europe
Algonquin's Explorers Hotel
Campanile Val de France (formerly Kyriad Hotel) Edited POI on 8 April 2019
Hôtel l'Elysée Val d'Europe
B&B Hotel

Bonus
Disneyland Paris main car park

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: