Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - BMW built in sat nav - map updates warning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

BMW built in sat nav - map updates warning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: BMW built in sat nav - map updates warning Reply with quote

Just a word of warning.

If you have a modern BMW system, you can update the maps by downloading it to your PC, putting it on a memory stick and then putting that into your car.

However, the maps are now 29.62Gb in size and the maximum memory stick allowed is a 32gb one (FAT32) which translates as about 29.2-29.6gb (depending on the stick).

The only way I found to get the latest map on was to format the memory stick and change the default FAT table (allocation) size to the largest possible - 16kb. It fitted with 5kb left.

I think the next set of maps will be too large for even that. I have contacted BMW about this, but have had no response (I don't think they understand the question).

Alan
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite often they say 32Gb because that is the limit that Windows can format to. Beyond that Windows uses exFAT which is often not compatible with other devices.

You can, via some partition tools, format a larger stick, say 64Gb stick as FAT32.

Last time I did that I used EaseUS Partition Manager.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I know how to do that (but I didn't have a copy to hand, so adjusting the FAT table was easiest), but will the majority of the users?

Alan
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you say worth seeing what crops up on the Beemer forums as this sounds like everyones going to be affected soon.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: BMW built in sat nav - map updates warning Reply with quote

alan_sh wrote:
Just a word of warning.

If you have a modern BMW system, you can update the maps by downloading it to your PC, putting it on a memory stick and then putting that into your car.

Wife is getting a new one soon, we have never bothered updating the current one as it is a lease vehicle. Where do you get the updates from, the BMW dealers seem to want a fortune? Personally, I would rather use my Garmin as I find the current BMW option sucks Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: