Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Drop Map Update Support: Have You Been Affected?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Drop Map Update Support: Have You Been Affected?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: TomTom Drop Map Update Support: Have You Been Affected? Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
It's been a topic in our forums for a couple of weeks now that more TomTom devices available will no longer receive their 'Lifetime' map updates - bringing the list up to 34. This is something that has been a concern for some time since 'lifetime' means 'the lifetime that TomTom decide the product has' as opposed to the actual lifetime of the device. However, it seems to have hit the UK news as though this is a new thing...

Any device made before 2013 will no longer receive any updates or maps. If your satnav came with 'Lifetime Maps' then you will get some software updates to keep the device working but there will be no new features or map updates.

The full list of affected devices is shown in the 'read more' link below but includes some Start models that are still available to purchase.

Have you been affected by this change? Will you think twice before purchasing anything with 'lifetime' services?

The full list of European models no longer supported are as follows:
Note: the serial numbers are shown in brackets - MODEL (AB); if your serial number begins with 'AB' then you have one of the unsupported devices.

Unsupported models are:
EASE (XI/XJ/XK/XL)
GO 1000 (TD/TB)
GO 1005 (SF/SB)
GO 630 (JB)
GO 700 (M5)
GO 720 (M6)
GO 730 (J4)
GO 740 (WR/WL)
GO 750 (W4)
GO 750 (W7)
GO 820 (FT)
GO 825 (FY)
GO I90 (DC)
ONE 140 (RED) (PM)
ONE 4th Edition (PC/PF/PI/PL/PO/PQ)
ONE IQ ROUTES (P1/PS/P2/PU)
PLUS (XN/XM)
START (XB/XD/XF/XH)
START 20(AO)
START 25(BK)
START 45(GT)
START 55(GU)
START 60(WM)
VIA 110(AG)
VIA 120 (AN/AU/FM)
VIA 130(AV)
VIA 220(AQ)
XL 2nd Edition (RC/RI/RN/RV)
XL 3rd Edition (R1/RS/R2/R4/RU)
XL 4th Edition (GJ/GI/GK/GP)
XXL 530(RY)
XXL 535(RW)
XXL 540(RX)
XXL 550(GL) SERIES
XXL CLASSIC SERIES (GQ)
email icon
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom Drop Map Update Support: Have You Been Affected? Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
Any device made before 2013 will no longer receive any updates or maps. If your satnav came with 'Lifetime Maps' then you will get some software updates to keep the device working but there will be no new features or map updates.
So at last we know that the 'lifetime' of a TomTom device is about 5 years. So that's only a 20%/year depreciation of your outlay. Rolling Eyes
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet Garmin devices available tens of years ago can still get lifetime maps, wonder what is driving TT to doing this?
Ian_J
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that it was because these devices don't have enough RAM to support the maps.

When we got our TT years ago it didn't even have enough memory to do the guaranteed latest map update (UK & Ireland only), so I had to get a Micro SD and it's been in it ever since.

I really liked our TT (haven't used it in years) but the company is a joke.

The cost for map updates at one point was more expensive than buying a new device.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those with Lifetime Maps WILL continue to get map updates.

The following is from a post by the moderator at Tomtom's forum:

Hello all

There seems to be some confusion among users having end of life devices with Lifetime maps.

Let me explain if your device comes with Lifetime maps then the updates will be honored and you will continue to receive new maps going forward.

However, you will not be able to order Services(LIVE and Speed cameras) purchase new maps for other regions on the TomTom webshop.
AllanKnowles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So on one hand they are saying that they can't update some peoples PND because of lack of space and on the other they can due to Lifetime Maps'. Why do I think that this may be a crafty plan to shift newer stock???
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's internal storage. They were released with the bare minmum required for the map data. Maps are getting bigger with new road data as well as extra data like road speeds, average speeds at certain times, 3d data, extra POI data, lane and junction data etc etc.

Garmin always seemed to have a lot of free space - possibly because they have always been so open about 3rd party data being able to be added?!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Garmin always seemed to have a lot of free space - possibly because they have always been so open about 3rd party data being able to be added?!
Or perhaps they have been sensible and given them enough ram for future expansion. It always used to be to always fit at least twice the amount of ram that you need now to allow for that.
TT failed to take any notice of this well known adage.
davelyon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have also had this message on a Via 120 live with lifetime maps purchashed 06/16! which presumably means we are now unable to continue with the Live Traffic, the main reason the device was purchased
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s an interesting question. ..

How old will they allow built in devices to live? I had a TomTom Carminat in my new Renault Kangoo in 2010. I sold it to a guy living further down my street and he still uses the vehicle for work every day. I don’t know if he uses the Carminat or updates the map, but if I still had it I certainly would. I think I shall have to ask a question on the TT forum.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And let us have a laugh at the answer please.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: