Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Driver Caught On Speed Camera Using Rude Gesture
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Driver Caught On Speed Camera Using Rude Gesture

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Driver Caught On Speed Camera Using Rude Gesture Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Get Speed Camera Warnings For SatNavs
Get FREE TRIAL Speed Camera Warnings For iOS (iPhone and iPad)
Get FREE TRIAL Speed Camera Warnings For Android (phones and tablets)

A motorist has been caught making a rude gesture by a police officer using a speed camera.

Roofer Michael Carrick, 27, gave the w***er sign while passing the officer who was pointing a speeding gun at his van - Carrick believed he was within the speed limit.

The driver was then surprised to receive a letter and photograph showing his rude gesture, claiming he was not in full control of his vehicle.

It also turned out that the photo showed that not only was he speeding, he was also caught driving without a seatbelt.

Carrick claims that he paid a £315 fine and received 3 penalty points on his license for the speeding offence near Bishop Auckland, in County Durham, and, in return, the other charges were dropped.

He said: "It was a brief moment of stupidity though it's all a bit over the top. I did see the camera but I did not think I'd been done. I suppose I saw it at the last minute — then I get a letter through the post two weeks later. They said I was speeding and also that I wasn't in proper control of my vehicle."

He added: "It was a w***er I was calling them. It was all very harsh."

Apparently, he didn't realise the lane he was in had changed from a dual to a single carriageway in August. He was travelling 58mph in a national speed limit, which is normally 60mph for cars, but 50mph for vans.

He says he has shared his situation on social media to raise awareness that vans can only do 50mph on a single lane national speed limit road.

A Police spokesperson commented: "North Yorkshire Police's fleet of mobile safety cameras are deployed to sites where there is a history of speed-related collisions. Where the local community have raised concerns about speeding in their neighbourhood, and to routes where drivers or motorcyclists have been killed or seriously injured. They also detect other offences such as the illegal use of mobile phones and seat belt offences."

Source
email icon

That_Merril
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Dual/Single carriageway. Reply with quote

The article states that the road was changed from a dual to single carriageway. I was informed that to be a dual carriageway, a road had to have a physical barrier between traffic travelling in opposite directions. It had nothing to do with the number of lanes. Therefore, a road with one lane in each direction but with a kerb running running between the two, is classed as a dual carriageway. Conversely, a road with multiple lanes in each direction but no physical barrier in between them, is classed as a single carriageway.
I would say it's very unusual to have a physical barrier removed, therfore if all that was done was to change two lanes each way to one, by marking hatched areas perhaps, the road is still a dual carriageway and with the national speed limit applying, is 70 mph for cars and car derived vans but 60 mph for larger panel vans.
The info re dual/single carriageways, was given on a speed awareness course I attended. The example given was, if you could roll a ball from one carriageway onto the other, that was a single carriageway but if the ball hit something to stop it going onto the opposite carriageway, then that was dual.
I'm sure even the police don't know these things, half the time.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual/Single carriageway. Reply with quote

That_Merril wrote:
........ if you could roll a ball from one carriageway onto the other, that was a single carriageway but if the ball hit something to stop it going onto the opposite carriageway, then that was dual.

Maybe the police officer forgot to take his ball with him Bouncing Bouncing Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it wasn’t the Daily Mail, this non story wouldn’t see the page of print.

It’s perfectly obvious that the dual carriageway simply ended and became single - and this numpty didn’t notice and didn’t slow down.

It is equally obvious that this driver shouldn’t be behind the wheel of a vehicle - it is the driver’s responsibility to know the laws of the road and driving a van at car speeds demonstrates that he is incompetent.

Why else would “they” put a mobile there to punish the idiot speed merchants?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus doing 70 without a seatbelt. That NIP should hopefully see his insurance premium rise next time round.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: