Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 6000 Drivers Caught On M32 In 15 Days
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

6000 Drivers Caught On M32 In 15 Days
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: 6000 Drivers Caught On M32 In 15 Days Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Get Speed Camera Warnings For SatNavs
Get Speed Camera Warnings For iOS (iPhone and iPad)
Get Speed Camera Warnings For Android (phones and tablets)

6,000 motorists have been caught speeding on a mile and a half stretch of the M32 in just fifteen days.

Average speed cameras were installed on 12th April between the Avon Ring Road and Eastville junctions in Bristol. The point-to-point devices monitor a 40mph section covering road works.

Chief inspector Kevan Rowlands commented: "The number of people caught speeding in just fifteen days is shocking. Speeding can have fatal consequences - it endangers the lives of other road users and the lives of those working on the M32 improvements."

He added: "We do not want to catch people speeding, we want people to obey the speed limits. I hope this statistic acts as a warning to others that this speed limit is being proactively enforced and makes them slow down."

The cameras are due to be removed by the end of May.

Source
email icon

Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just shows the appaling standard of UK driving. No excuse for speeding, it's not clever.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they are sticking up SPECS in Saint Leonards for the following speed limit non-compliance
"On a recent week-long survey carried out in July 2016, it was found that in St Leonards, two per cent of drivers were above 36mph at the Marina and 6.8 per cent were above 36mph at Grosvenor Crescent.

Read more at: http://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/news/average-speed-camera-to-be-installed-on-st-leonards-seafront-1-7731180" SOURCE
Cretins or tree huggers? They can't be putting them in as a cash cow though. Not enough speeders.
Davidonly
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Just shows the appaling standard of UK driving. No excuse for speeding, it's not clever.

Increasingly 'speeding' is created by limits being set incorrectly ..... The 85 percentile approach was dropped in UK and now I think they are actually made up (like the original motorway one was). Not really a very fair approach but suits the politicians - particularly the exceptionally poor local ones, that are now responsible for so much more under 'localisation' agendas.

This example IS in roadworks so perhaps more reasonably enforced. I would question whether or not the work-force 'in need of protection' was present when most of these tickets were issued. I'd say removing the camera enforcement and relaxing the limit outside working hours need serious consideration. I also think the current approach is undermining people's compliance with speed limits across the network as SO many are FAR too low now.

So your statement is misguided or at least requires a heck of a lot of context to make it less generalised.

Or we can all be sheep / good little brain-dead citizens....
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidonly wrote:
Increasingly 'speeding' is created by limits being set incorrectly .....
This statement is also misguided. Speed limits are not set incorrectly and regardless of how the speed limit has been decided on, it's still the speed limit and should be obeyed regardless of how stupid and 'incorrect' you think it is.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Speed limits are not set incorrectly

Oh yes they are. Yes they are.

For 2 years now we up North have endured the (very welcome) A1 upgrade to A1M between Leeming and Scotch Corner. The same issues arose in the previous 2 years, upgrading the A1 to A1M from Dishforth to Leeming.

The average speed limit was set at 50mph arbitrarily; merely because there were roadworks about. This limit did not protect the workforce at all, because they were hundreds of yards away behind 4 foot high and solid concrete barriers and they were dealing with the new road (not the existing road).

These speed limits safeguarded nobody, because nobody was in the vicinity.

Every A1 traveller was delayed in their journey, for 3 or 4 years, because of an arbitrary roadworks speed limit.

I have to say that this 50 limit was incorrectly set, by people who have the power do so, while drinking their cups of tea,
I think 60 mph would have been a more sensible limit, given thst there were some areas of narrow lanes,

Dales
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dales wrote:
I think 60 mph would have been a more sensible limit, given thst there were some areas of narrow lanes
,Perhaps they decided on 50 because they were narrow lanes with concrete blocks. Not only to 'protest the workers' but to protect the drivers in case of an accident.
Anyway, whatever, I'm fed up with this pointless discussion.[/b]
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Davidonly wrote:
Increasingly 'speeding' is created by limits being set incorrectly .....
This statement is also misguided. Speed limits are not set incorrectly and regardless of how the speed limit has been decided on, it's still the speed limit and should be obeyed regardless of how stupid and 'incorrect' you think it is.

Agreed. If you don't agree with a certain limit then campaign to change it. Otherwise obey it, most of us do so and those that don't create danger for everyone. Moaning on here achieves nothing.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidonly wrote:
This example IS in roadworks so perhaps more reasonably enforced. I would question whether or not the work-force 'in need of protection' was present when most of these tickets were issued.
I don't know who's carrying out the enforcement (issuing tickets), buit Bristol have very greedy attitudes towards camera income - I was unsuccessful in appealing a bus lane ticket issued by somebody sitting being paid double time and time off inlieu to watch bus lane cameras on Bank Holiday Monday when there were no buses running (Timetable says Bank Holidays - No Service). The M32 roadworks are to accommodate the new Bristol Metro bus stupidity.
Davidonly wrote:
I'd say removing the camera enforcement and relaxing the limit outside working hours need serious consideration.
Not flipping likely! - have you any idea how much it would cost to lift the lane cones and put them back again to reinstate the limits? It is often done for nighttime lane closures and it takes several of the closure time hours to do it. But you can't do it with those concrete (or water-filled plastic) lane barriers.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Davidonly
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Davidonly wrote:
This example IS in roadworks so perhaps more reasonably enforced. I would question whether or not the work-force 'in need of protection' was present when most of these tickets were issued.
I don't know who's carrying out the enforcement (issuing tickets), buit Bristol have very greedy attitudes towards camera income - I was unsuccessful in appealing a bus lane ticket issued by somebody sitting being paid double time and time off inlieu to watch bus lane cameras on Bank Holiday Monday when there were no buses running (Timetable says Bank Holidays - No Service). The M32 roadworks are to accommodate the new Bristol Metro bus stupidity.
Davidonly wrote:
I'd say removing the camera enforcement and relaxing the limit outside working hours need serious consideration.
Not flipping likely! - have you any idea how much it would cost to lift the lane cones and put them back again to reinstate the limits? It is often done for nighttime lane closures and it takes several of the closure time hours to do it. But you can't do it with those concrete (or water-filled plastic) lane barriers.

The cameras could be switched off... This is the approach of the Italian ASC's (Tutor). When traffic is light they SWITCH OFF the system. When its active the gantries say so and everyone is clear about the road situation... Seems fair to me. The present 'is the NSL enforced or not' situation manifested by our new DUMB motorways also creates avoidable risk.

There is a total absence of common sense in the UK roads management and policy. WHY so we need so many more speed cameras than any other nation? Seems massively excessive and very 'state knows best' (a very dangerous path) to me...

Please (please) don't witter on about the democratic process being available to change this... There is no process by which evidence based policy can trump gesture politics and that is the present situation ..! Sad
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidonly wrote:

The cameras could be switched off... This is the approach of the Italian ASC's (Tutor). When traffic is light they SWITCH OFF the system. When its active the gantries say so and everyone is clear about the road situation... Seems fair to me.

Which is why smart motorways are being introduced, but it's completely different in roadworks where lanes may be more narrow then normal, possibly less of them, changes of carriageway etc etc. That's why cameras remain on.

Davidonly wrote:

WHY so we need so many more speed cameras than any other nation? Seems massively excessive and very 'state knows best' (a very dangerous path) to me...

Why?! Read the article at the top of this thread. Because there are far too many drivers who simply don't adhere to the limits and who not only are a danger to themselves but a danger to all other motorists around them. If the standard of driving was higher in this country then speed cameras wouldn't be needed, nor would they get so much income, but until folks learn to obey the rules of the road then I'm happy they remain.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidonly wrote:
The present 'is the NSL enforced or not' situation manifested by our new DUMB motorways also creates avoidable risk.
The NSL is always in force so why should you care if the cameras are 'tapping' or not? Unless of course you want free licence to blatantly ignore it. So what is the 'risk' that is avoidable?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too.

This headline of thousands of drivers caught in a short period is not the first, it's one of many.

As said it's a sad reflection of UK driving standards.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
jonrome
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is never mentioned is how many accidents, potential or actual are caused by these people. My guess is it's close to zero. Its all very well saying people shouldn't break the speed limit but often they are an arbitary figure. There is a dual carriageway near me that used to be 60 mph. When it was upgraded that was reduces to 40 mph for no apparent reason, but then part of it has a bus lane which as far as I'm aware has never seen a bus, there is grass growing on it.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These discussions about speed limits and speed cameras are puerile. That includes my posts as well.
Someone sets a speed limit for whatever reason. They set up speed cameras to enforce it. Get over it. Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: