Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Old TomTom iOS app is dead - what are you using instead?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Old TomTom iOS app is dead - what are you using instead?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Old TomTom iOS app is dead - what are you using instead? Reply with quote

The TomTom iOS app version 1.27 was released on 30th March 2017 with the following message:

"Rapid changes in TomTom and Apple Technologies mean that we cannot continue offering updates to this app indefinitely. For this reason we will not be supporting this app from September (2017) onwards".

The replacement app (TomTom GO Mobile for iOS) is currently about as useful as a chocolate teapot despite having been released for over a year with about four updates in that time. So TomTom GO Mobile for iOS is not an option for me.

So, what are you going to use as a SatNav? Will you still use your iPhone for SatNav, if so what app will you use?
Will you change to a PND, if so which?
Will you change to an Android phone and if so which app will you use?

I have a few SatNav apps on my iPhone, whilst the old TomTom app is my favourite I will be forced by TomTom to stop using it after September (if I want to continue using Traffic). The iOS version of GO Mobile is still useless, so that app is not an option. The other SatNav apps are useable but the ones I've tried recently don't give the same amount of information about the journey (on screen all of the time) that I'm used to with the old TomTom iOS app.

The things I want in a SatNav app are:
1. Full journey info (see later for list)
2. Accurate traffic and ability to reroute due to traffic.
3. Custom (third party) POIs

Full journey info (to be kept on screen all the time):

Current speed
Speed limit
Total distance remaining
Next action (turning)
Distance to next action
Total journey time remaining
ETA
Current road
Next road
Lane Guidance

So, what are users of the old TomTom iOS app going to use?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your problem is going to be support for 3rd party POIs. I went through this but I wanted to move from a 5" Garmin screen to a 7" plus screen. In the end I went down the Android tablet route.

I loaded all the decent navigation apps and tried them out. My main requirement was for traffic and 3rd party POI support (not just speed cameras). Traffic was easy, POI support wasn't.

iGo has dropped support for them. Navigon doesn't support them. Others did (possibly Sygic and CoPilot) but one of those was broken. Aponia supported third party POIs but in the end I settled on Mapfactor which does most of what you want.

You can upgrade the map to TomTom maps if you want. It supports 3rd party POIs (though a bit of a faff initially), it has traffic, it supports camera warnings and is very customisable, e.g. routing preferences for each type of road can be weighted. I use that with CameraAlert running in the background.

I am keeping my Garmin as a backup as it has always done a good job and supports third party POIs. I would also say that their traffic system is as good as TomTom's now.

I hope this helps.
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite dead yet, but certainly on its last legs!

Updated version of the app 1.28 released 27/07/2017 , apparently this will be the last update.

Have avoided updating as the last update caused me a week of issues!

Has anyone installed it and if so is if safe or have they booby trapped it?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed v1.28 (UK & Ireland) on my old iPhone 5 today. Will have to use it a bit to see if there are any booby traps or nag screen issues. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd just have a look to see what the latest map, updated 29/7/17, is like. It still has wrong postcode location for CF10 4GA - it should be Teigr Way Cardiff (BBC Studios and Dr Who Experience etc), but locates at Adam Street, maybe a mile away. I don't know how to find the map version number on the app, but TT used to correctly locate this postcode up to map v955 and wrongly ever since.

Fortunately (???) my built in Renault R-Link TomTom navigation has such old maps that I still get to the correct destination (so long as I ignore my latest maps on GO520 [orig] and GO6100).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I thought I'd just have a look to see what the latest map, updated 29/7/17, is like. It still has wrong postcode location for CF10 4GA - it should be Teigr Way Cardiff (BBC Studios and Dr Who Experience etc), but locates at Adam Street, maybe a mile away. I don't know how to find the map version number on the app.

Menu | Change Settings | About

v1.27.1 map number (for UK & Ireland) is v985.8209
v1.27.1 map number (for Europe) is v985.8177

v1.28 map number (for UK & Ireland) is v990.8363
v1.28.1 map number (for Europe) is v990.8324

Nb.:
1. I have only installed v1.28 (UK&I and Europe) onto my iPhone 5 and not yet the 6 so test not fully complete.
2. On iPhone 5, Europe is v1.28.1 while UK&I is only v1.28. So there's a slight version discrepancy between map areas.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Last edited by Privateer on Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:22 am; edited 2 times in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robert. Y'know, I'll swear I actually looked at "About", but obviously it wasn't obvious to me! I've got v990.8324.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I absolutely loved the Q&A...

What happens to my months of traffic/speed cams that I bought when the app is no longer supported?

As the app is no longer supported, we cannot guarantee you will be able to access your purchases.

Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
By the way, I absolutely loved the Q&A....

Yes fantastic! Another good one is:

Why are updates stopping? ... TomTom has decided to focus its efforts on delivering products based on our latest (and best) navigation and mapping technologies and sadly this means that we cannot continue to deliver updates to this app. TomTom believe that the new GO Mobile is better than the old app! Rolling Eyes

By the way, if anybody who has upgraded to TomTom iOS legacy app 1.28(.1) and didn't read the blurb, then here's the full information:

From the App Store:

27 Jul 2017
In March we informed you that this app will not be supported starting September onward. Check the app to find out more about what this means for you, and how to keep using the app for as long as possible.
LATEST, UPDATED TOMTOM MAP: Because roads are constantly changing – on average 15% of roads change every year – your TomTom App update comes with the latest and most up-to-date map.

Taken from the iPhone app (UK & Ireland v1.28) when started for first time:

In March we informed you that this app cannot be supported from September onwards. Select the button below to find out more about what this means for you, and how to keep using the app for as long as possible

Why are updates stopping?

This app is based on an old version of TomTom’s core navigation technology that is no longer being actively developed or maintained. This technology is built into an app that developed originally for iOS3 and then overhauled in iOS7. As TomTom and Apple technology evolves, it becomes increasing difficult and expensive to retain support for older products such as this one. TomTom has decided to focus its efforts on delivering products based on our latest (and best) navigation and mapping technologies and sadly this means that we cannot continue to deliver updates to this app.

When is the last update?

The last release of this app will be in September and will include a map update.

What happens after this?

The last update of this app will be tested on the latest available version of iOS. Future versions of iOS may introduce changes that lead to problems with the performance and features of this application. At some point one or more of these changes will cause the application to stop running on the latest version of iOS.

How can I keep using this app?

We can assure you that this app will continue to work when running on the latest iOS version available t the time of it’s release. If you upgrade to future iOS versions we cannot guarantee that the app will continue to run.

So is this the end of TomTom on my iPhone?

No, we will continue to deliver world-class navigation for iPhone in the TomTom GO Mobile app. As an existing customer you are entitled to a free 3 year subscription, so you can continue using our navigation for years to come.

Why should I use TomTom GO Mobile instead?

We’ve been working hard to improve the TomTom GO Mobile app with every release. We’ve added many new features and improvements including alternative routes and stops on route, with more features on the way.

What happens to my months of traffic/speed cams that I bought when this app is no longer supported?

As the app is no longer supported, we cannot guarantee you will be able to access your purchases.

Hope this helps! Cool
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom for iPhone iOS app will be replaced by TomTom GO Fisher Price edition.
Specially designed for people who believe that Black and White TV is cutting edge technology!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: