Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CamerAlert quits silently
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CamerAlert quits silently

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cirieno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: CamerAlert quits silently Reply with quote

Please can you make it optional, rather than apparently default, that the app quits silently if no movement has been detected for a few minutes?

If I stop for petrol, or get stuck in a traffic jam, then it's far too easy to drive on forgetting that CamerAlert has closed itself. If I don't hear any alerts for a while I have to check on the taskbar to make sure the app is even running.

If this is not expected behaviour then please let me know. I suppose I should make the disclaimer that my device is jailbroken, but that shouldn't really affect the operation of CamerAlert and shouldn't immediately raise the "we don't support that" flag. FWIW I have jailbroken my iPhone so that I can have your database as POIs in TomTom (I'm working on a new set of icons but time is currently limited) rather than overloading it with themes etc.

Other than that, thankyou all for a very useful app!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should only close after 10 minutes of no movement if it is in the background. This is to save on battery use if the app is not closed. It's a pretty 'standard' thing to do and nearly all 'navigation' apps will do this.

MaFt
Cirieno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
It should only close after 10 minutes of no movement if it is in the background. This is to save on battery use if the app is not closed. It's a pretty 'standard' thing to do and nearly all 'navigation' apps will do this.

MaFt

While I do understand the reasoning (battery life is what I suspected), would it please be possible to make it optional? It's just my opinion but it feels like it breaks the user experience expectation that an app can kill itself without warning to the user. It would be different if the option could be explicitly set as then the user is more likely to be aware of the behaviour...

Thankyou!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We thought about a popup to say "we'll close down now" but what good is that popup if it is shown to a screen in standby? So far we haven't found a good way around that. Ideas are welcome.

Maybe we should couple that with the "Prevent standby" switch? Meaning that if you set "Prevent standby" to on then we would also not auto quit?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
RavingDave
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until reading this thread I wasn't aware that CamerAlert would close itself down after a period of non-movement. I can't see any mention of this in the manual, and having just tried it for myself it appears to close down after 5 minutes of non-movement.

So if I am stuck in a traffic jam for more than 5 minutes then CamerAlert will silently quit, and when I get to move again I will have no indication that it is no longer active? Surely if the device is not in standby then at the very least a pop up should appear to warn the user that it is about to quit from the background?

Presumably the same effect will occur if I make a stop at a service station for more than 5 minutes. My satnav will continue to run, but CamerAlert will have just quietly switched itself off!

Co-Pilot seems to give a warning if it about to close down when in standby. It briefly wakes up the screen with a popup, and if you don't see it, then the popup is still there next time you switch on out of standby.

I think there should definitley be a warning, so that at least if you are not in standby you will get to see it. Perhaps it could then wait for a more extended time, and if you have not responded in say 30 minutes then auto quit?
MalcolmLLoyd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to not auto quit if the iPhone is connected to a charger that is on?
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to implement a couple of warning beeps 30sec., or so, before auto-shutdown?
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
alan_dr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just a setting 'Minutes before auto-close (0=never)'?
willmow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone's still listening after all these years....

I have always wondered about how CA "knows" when to quit, so this thread was illuminating.

Question: does CA still auto-quit after 10 minutes of non-movement? Thins may have changed since 2011.....
What is classed as non-movement? If I park the car and immediately walk the whole day will CA class that as movement?

I've found out how to manually quit an app (double-click home button, scroll through the apps and swipe the offending one up), so that's handy.

Last thing: there seems to be nothing in the documentation that explains CA's quitting behaviour.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: