Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mercedes MY17 Garmin Map Pilot - Alerts in Chinese?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mercedes MY17 Garmin Map Pilot - Alerts in Chinese?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked hte entries in the GarminDevice XML file?
There are loads of language settings in there.

I'm gonna try your trick to get the icons displaying, I would rather have them than a Beeb.
I can run Camera Alert in background mode for the audible alert, and then look to my screen to (hopefully) see the icon.

I did experiment with moving the location slightly myself some time ago, but couldn't get anything to work.

My traffic subscriptions have all been deleted at the last 'upgrade', MB say they are 'looking into it.....'
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: duplicate post.

If there are problems with it doing both because the files are the 'same', call the one that does the icons something different? The name as far as I know does not alter the display. Call that file 'attractions' or something?

I will play som more and see what works. I would love to get icons in the map though.
kmid2003
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Don't know if this may help:

I recently took delivery of my MY17 A220d A-Class and have been trying to get the speed cameras on to the MB Garmin Map Pilot.

Thanks to all the help from previous posts, I have installed the cameras and deleted the Chinese symbols files from the Fonts folder on the SD Card. All of the cameras seem to appear when you approach. All good, but I wasn't getting any audible warnings. I noticed a couple of times that there was a 'Bing Bong' warning but very very faint, you could hardly hear it - especially if the radio was loud even though the radio volume did reduce at the point of the alert.

Anyway, I found that if you are very quick at the time of the radio volume reducing/ alert sounding, by turning the volume knob, there is a volume called 'Voice Output Volume' which was set very low. After lots of attempts I managed to get this to near max volume and can now hear the 'Bing Bong' alert quite clearly. As I say you have to be quick as after a second or so you will just get an increase in the radio volume. The Voice Output Volume does not affect the Navigation Announcement Volume which seems have its own separate volume.

Don't know if there is an easier way of increasing the Voice Output Volume, couldn't see a setting for this anywhere?

Anyway, thought this may help someone.
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loaded a new file as described above.
Still not a single icon :-(
This system just sucks.....

My alerts still work though, in English.
And after the latest update my traffic subscriptions have been restored.
kmid2003
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found that you can change the 'Voice Output Volume' in system settings - much easier than trying to do it whilst driving!! Wish I'd found that earlier!!

Not sure what else this volume might affect?
dpa117
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering Nemesis1 how you are managing to get voice warnings in English? I only get the bing bong. Now louder thanks to the previous post.

Chinese has gone thanks again for all the posts.
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpa117 wrote:
Just wondering Nemesis1 how you are managing to get voice warnings in English? I only get the bing bong. Now louder thanks to the previous post.

Chinese has gone thanks again for all the posts.

No voice alerts mate, the Garbage, I mean Garmin system in the Mercs won't do them.

I mean I get the bongs and the text is in English.
:-)
dpa117
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I guess as mine is the version 6 no English texts? Just Chinese or blank?

You are right Map Pilot sucks

thanks
dpa117
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmid2003, just wondering where the volume output control is in settings? Having read your post I looked and looked but doesn't seem obvious, I'm clearly looking in the wrong place.

thanks
pbridgeman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just to let you know that I was so frustrated about the Chinese character and other POI issues with the Garmin Map Pilot and the negative response I received from Mercedes Benz UK Customer service earlier this week that a couple of days ago I emailed (don't ask me how I found his email address) Dr Dieter Zetsche, Chairman of the Board of Management of Daimler AG and Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars, setting out the issues and asking for him to look into and arrange to sort out the problems.

I received this reply earlier today.

'Thank you for your email addressed to Dr Dieter Zetsche, Chairman of the Board of Management of Daimler AG and Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars.

We are extremely sorry that your experience of Mercedes-Benz has not met your expectations.

Your correspondence will be forwarded to our Board of Management Team, who will contact you in due course following a thorough investigation of the issue you have raised.'

'll let you know what happens in due course! I will most definitely chase it up if I don't hear anything in the next few days.
kmid2003
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dpa117,

The system settings can be found by going to the main screen and when its showing Navi - Radio - Media etc, at the top of the screen, select Vehicle on the right hand side.

Then when you are on the vehicle screen press down to go to the car and then down again and you should see System settings on the bottom of the screen
dpa117
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well I have had success following the advice above..no Chinese. Thanks everyone...

Does anyone know though how the Garmin POILoader works?...so the question is if I want to upload the latest speed camera database do I use POILoader or simply replace the files on the SD card? I am suspicious that every time I've done an update (partially as I've messed around trying initially get rid of the Chinese) or replaced files, POILoader is duplicating code on the SD. I seem to now get 3 warnings for a speed camera and strangely I've done 3 POIloader updates..is this a coincidence? Does anyone know where to look in the code to see what is happening?

The POIloader must configure the code somewhere I assume?

Rgds
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POIloader just converts a series of CSV or GPX files (with associated BMP and WAV files) into a single GPI file that the Garmin understands.

If you're getting 3 warnings for each camera then it sounds like the card has 3 GPI files.

My guess is that you can delete the oldest 2.

If you only have 1 GPI file then you've likely collected more than one series of CSV file sets under the same folder on the PC.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
dpa117
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for that..I will have a look

rgds
joh677
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pbridgeman wrote:
I don't think so because the data is essentially the same as the consolidated set.

I've spent a lot of time on this since I last posted. At the moment I can get the correct POI sign showing at roughly the right place for the speed cameras but no notification sound doing the following:(Thanks to NEMESIS1! for most of this).
Download the consolidated set of speed cameras and place SPECS icon and camera locations in a folder called SPEC (not SPECS because Garmin system recognises certain keywords as associated with speed camera alerts and you dont want that for this method) Redlights equivalent in RED and Gatsos in GAT. Open the csv file for the SPECS in excel and in column 4 row 2 (right of the description column) enter the formula '=A2+0.000085'.

You what I hear you ask. I've calculated that a 10 metre shift of the POI is roughly 0.000085 added to the original Latitude and longitude values. Then select all cells below this down to the end of the data and CTRL+D to do the same calc. for all other rows. Repeat using column 5 but with formula '=B2+0.000085'.

The reason for doing this is that the Garmin system seems not able to cope with a POI exactly on a road so you need to move it slightly off position. In practice it makes no difference to the view on the screen unless zoomed right in to the map.
Save the file as a text (Tab delimited) file. Then open it again as a CSV file and delete all the column 1 and 2 values and move the column 4 and 5 values across to make new column 1 and 2. (only quick way I know of breaking the formula link between columns 1 & 4 and 2 & 5.
Change the description of column 3 row 2 to SPEC and again copy down to the last row using CTRL+D. Save the file as CSV (MS-DOS) format. Delete the original poi icon and file. Right click on the SPEC icon and edit it. Resize it to 24x24 pixels and save and exit.
Do the same as above for the Redlights (RED) and Gatsos (GAT) folders.

Now move all the new poi files and icons into a new folder called POI. You should now have 3 poi files with poi positions shifted by 0.000085 degrees in longitude and latitude and 3 icons , 24x24 pixels each.

Run POIloader and point it to the new folder for converting the files and saving the output. Choose manual mode and do not choose speed or positional alerts for any of the files. You should end up with a .gpi file called POI. Copy this into the POI folder of the Garmin Map Pilot SD card and away you go.

You can check it by using the GPS simulator. Turn it on in system option.

Pick a road where you know there is a camera and move the crosshair about a mile away on that road and click to set that as your new location. Pick a destination the other side of the camera, pick go and say yes to use the GPS simulator. Just watch the screen. Beats going out in the car in this weather !

Hope this all makes sense. I've done it in a bit of a hurry. I will carry on trying to sort out the 'chinese' problem but I reckon its built into the map system -please someone - prove me wrong !!!!

I think this solution works OK as the large icons on the map coming towards you in 3D are pretty obvious to spot but prefer the sound as well.

According to the Garmin website if you just use the POIloader distance from POI alert (not the speed one) it should just give an audible alert with these files but I haven't had time to try that today.

Hello thank you for all of your work!! it works great for me but & i left the @ in .csv description don't know if it change something, I just have the picture that display the remaining distance that don't reduce the distance before the cam; do you have the same problem ?
Many Poi icon are there : http://en.poipoint.eu/ if it can help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: